Glock 17 Custom my G17 - ideas / pics

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by demonloop, Jun 21, 2004.

Tags:
  1. demonloop

demonloop

Hi
    I just got a new 17 and want to customize it a bit.

I'm gonna remove the black from the barrel but wanted to know if you guys had any ideas?

Pics would be great!

PS I'm not adding sights or anything like that.

2. Valor1

Valor1 Range Bum

When I bought my Glock 17, the first thing I've changed is the plastic sights. I replaced it with a pair of Trijicons. I installed a Hogue slip-on grip so i can "feel" the grips better. Perhaps that's it. never failed on me.

Then a frend recommended a tungsten recoil guide to add weight. I did and I like it. It seems to absorb felt recoil.

If you want to do some more, replace the disconnector with a 3.5 lb to make the trigger lighter. I also installed a Wilson Tune Firing pin spring. Gun works well.

My friend bought an extra barrel (KKM Precision) for shooting reloads. That's it.

3. WalterGA

WalterGA Millennium Member

Ditto on the connector. Also,I will shoot no Agripless Glocks. I wouldn't be removing the finish from the barrel of a new Glock, but it's your Glock; paint it pink if you like!:)

4. demonloop

demonloop

Walter can you still get grips for a new Gen3 glock (with finger grooves)?

I thought this done away with the need for grips but I don't really have a clue.

Anyone know any good online places to get aftermarket stuff like this?

I've been to glockmesiter and topglock.

5. Wicked96SS

Wicked96SS Typical Gun Nut Millennium Member

The ONLY modification I would do to it is put night sights on it if it was a gun you will use for personal defense... if it is, leave the thing alone, especially the internals.

If it is NOTHING but a RANGE TOY (NOT used for personal defense), consider a 3.5# connector and a quick polish job to the internals, and call it a day...

For asthetics, do what you want, it's your gun... the polished barrel looks nice, I think... maybe hard chrome the slide, or a cheaper nickle plating like this:

[​IMG]

6. demonloop

demonloop

Thanks - it really will be just a range toy. the connector is a must I think - also is there any way to reduce the recoil felt using ordinary ball ammo?

7. WalterGA

WalterGA Millennium Member

Agrip isn't like the rubber slip-on grips. It's a "velvet-like" material that adds very little to the grip's dimensions. However, it makes for a better grip, both dry and wet. www.brookstactical.com

I use Scherer and Ghost Ultimate 3.5# connectors in all my Glocks. My carry G30 pulls at just over 3#; carry G26 @ just under 4#. All the others are somewhere in between. I also polish the internals, using a soft polishing wheel, Dremel, and Simichrome polish.

I can't imagine that you'd be experience any noticable recoil with a G17, unless, of course, you're not too experienced with centerfire handguns. I generally add a steel guide rod to my Glocks, but generally stay with the factory-strength spring for 9mm.

8. C9X19

C9X19

My IPSC/USPSA Limited 10 configuration.

9. C9X19

C9X19

10. C9X19

C9X19

Here we go...

11. C9X19

C9X19

12. C9X19

C9X19

13. WIG19

WIG19 Light left on

In addition to who you mentioned, you'll at some point probably become familiar with the fine folks at Lonewolf.

As to recoil (and I've no personal experience with them), if you simply must reduce felt recoil from a 9mm then perhaps this is up your alley. (See photo). Not sure how deep in the water you want to go customizing; I think Walter's used the AccuMatch comp'd barrels before but agree there shouldn't be much from a 17. Proper grip & practice, stay safe & have fun.:)

14. hapuna

hapuna Trusted Member

Raider,
    What did you do to the back of that slide?????

15. Popurhedoff

Popurhedoff

16. C9X19

C9X19

Skate board tape to ease racking of the slide.

17. Steve in Az

Steve in Az Walther PPQ

I think if you polled everyone you'd find these the most common accessories for a new Glock:

1. Sights
    2. Guide rod (why, I don't know. Of course competition shooters have good reason)
    3. 3.5 connector

I did 1&3 myself. Novak sights & Glock connector.

18. Siren

Siren 142nd

WalterGA,

Without trying to hijack the thread, I have never seen the Agrip. How do they wear? Do they need to be replaced periodically? While they look like they have a positive effect on the grip without increasing the grip size, I am curious from a wear standpoint as I am often carrying 16 hours a day.

Thanks,

Siren

19. St.Pain

St.Pain

WalterGA,

I am tempted to try the A-grip. Quick question, if you don’t like it and remove it does it leave a stick film? If so how do you remove it, rubbing alcohol?

20. djjordache

djjordache blah blah blah

"GOO GONE" water based adhesive remover (removes other stuff too) but won't discolor frame like a solvent might