CUSTOM GLOCKS WHY NO LOVE

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by JPARANEE, May 29, 2020.

1. Green Dragoon

Green Dragoon

I agree. When I bought a new gen 5 Glock and created a thread, people asked me to post a picture. I said "why? Just close your eyes and picture a Glock".

-JCN- and jmohme like this.
  2. jmohme

jmohme

Similar to when I posted about my G20, so I just grabbed a random G20 pic off the web and posted it.

Green Dragoon and -JCN- like this.

3. glocker1

glocker1

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg Personally, I think it's partly personal taste (or lack thereof)
    Perhaps it's culture (in the case of extreme Glock mods, it's the ****** bag culture)
    Or maybe it's just one's way of saying "look what I did, I "improved" this, yours is so standard"

Here's some pics of some Chevrolets......

-JCN- likes this.
  4. MeatGrinder

MeatGrinder

No thanks, my Glocks are stock.
    Most customized Glocks are goofy looking.

CanyonMan, Deputydave and glocker1 like this.
  5. AbeFroman

AbeFroman

Step 1: Mod your Glock
    Step 2: Shoot 500’s in GSSF “Unlimited” Matches
    Step 3: Profit

6. RichardB

RichardB Matthew 25:31-46

Has any one noted or remember that in the old days of blue steel 1911s and revolvers most American gun owners had either a 30-30, a shot gun or .22 rifle, if prosperous, maybe one of each. Other real hunters had a Winchester rifle in 30-06 or 270. The costs to customize or debug a handgun was outside of many of the average gun owners' budget.

The world has changed. We now read about range guns, home defense guns, and duty guns and some accept separate standards of performance. There are many more gun owners, and we now have the $s to support our addiction. This old fart who grew up with a one or two firearm mentality finds the quest to rework modern pistols for performance and appearance evidence of American's desire for better things very hopeful even though except for some flourescent paint on my Ruger sights and new sights on my Glocks I don't monkey with my guns. My experience, my opinions, keep up the good fight.

7. dbuck47

dbuck47

My pat answer on this type of thread is usually “ I change the sights and nothing else .” I decided to be a little more introspective and consider a few reasons.

1. Envy. I can’t have it so you shouldn’t. Judging by your cars and bikes, my toy box is never gonna be as full as yours unless I win the lottery. I could say I wouldn’t own a Ferrari because they are in the shop all the time, and for the scheduled maintenance, I could just buy a normal car. But in reality, I would probably “ pick one up if I had the coin”. I doubt if envy is much of a factor on this forum, but in any population there is some. I am not really envious of a custom Glock; I would rather have a pair of 17s and a pair of 26’s with the sights and holsters I prefer. Post up some of your custom 1911’s though, and I will turn dark green!

2. gilding the lilly, waste of money, perfect as is- I will combine these into one. Many think of Glocks as utilitarian, and that they achieve their desired function perfectly as issued. They don’t like “bling “.
    3. It adversely affects function, especially for self defense. The aftermarket for Glock is immense as is the spectrum of quality of those vendors. Many posts on this board are some variation on my modified Glock doesn’t work properly. Obviously, there are gunsmiths and individuals who understand the function of a Glock sufficiently to know what can be done and what can’t, but for every one of those there are several who modify without knowing the implications.

For me, I mostly view Glocks as a general purpose sidearm with its primary purpose being self defense, and I want it to be as absolutely reliable as possible.Glocks have proven to be just that. They are more accurate than I am out of the box. So I subscribe to the mantra of “ Don’t fix what ain’t broken.” I do prefer other sights, but can use the standard ones.

I have nothing against customization, if I were to shoot competitions I might make a few mods. For the gun that covers my butt, I want it to work as Glock intended.

JPARANEE and -JCN- like this.
  8. GlockyQ

GlockyQ Custom Title

Very true.
    “Personal defense weapons” are indeed just that - personal. Because we all have different physical sizes, strengths, eye sights, experiences, skill levels, etc. there is always room for some parts to be replaced with well designed and well constructed aftermarket parts to better serve specific individual needs. Parts such as night sights, red dot sights, extended slide stop/release lever (for those models that the OEM alternatives do not exist) are good examples Also, needs always exist for things like grip sleeves, grip tapes, pinky rest, undercuts, stipplings to alter the grip frame either temporarily or permanently to make the gun easier to hold and shoot for individual users.

Even though Glocks are very decent pistols right out of the box, “Glock Perfection” is still a mere marketing slogan of the company, not a “scientific fact” or truth.

-JCN- likes this.
  9. JPARANEE

JPARANEE

Here is a 19 build that is getting done for me right now

he is also doing a 17 for a buddy

some will like it some will not :)

zEV upper with zEV internals

7553DF4A-3C50-4606-A116-F268F138D935.jpeg 7B3742F2-78A7-4B87-A5A9-2186D1BABA8E.jpeg

Sights this gone will wear an RMR

12AA4C9B-9204-47D6-8206-8C7E992A0338.jpeg

01B0A6B2-23D3-4411-B284-348FFDF3F792.jpeg 76A61EBC-7F95-48D2-B630-FC7827A67EF3.jpeg

Frames reshaped and undercut ready for stippling

DD7844A4-8691-4104-9C87-108ED5B50886.jpeg 250525D8-47FD-4F76-B5A3-B309EC37A7E3.jpeg 0E3C297F-AFAD-42D9-BEBE-90585119950E.jpeg 039CF381-2406-4F81-AE27-B842D05F12B3.jpeg 039CF381-2406-4F81-AE27-B842D05F12B3.jpeg

SCHOOFSTER and glide like this.
  10. Green Dragoon

Green Dragoon

Pretty cool. Will this be for carry, competition.....?

11. JPARANEE

JPARANEE

The 19 will be a carry gun with an RMR

12. Themarinedoc

Themarinedoc

Good Post. Got me thinking about the guns I had before I was out of high school. I had a Mossberg .410, Hi Standard Sport King .22, a Remington pump .22 cal Fieldmaster, Ruger Single Six in .22 cal, a WWII British Webley .45 acp using 1/2 moon clips, which I got mail order (try that one today), and a 12 gauge Remington pump. Still have every one of those guns today. As I got part time jobs and advanced through school, added to those, including a Ruger Single Action in .357 Magnum, S&W .22 revolver and Smith Chief's Special .38. All before getting out of college. After finishing all school and getting into practice really got serious about getting what I wanted, not so much what I needed. Those early guns pretty well covered what I would call a need (hunting, target practice, home defense (the Webley at bedside) and general plinking). We do lie in an age of excess. As the expression goes, "excess is just barley enough".

RichardB likes this.
  13. SCHOOFSTER

SCHOOFSTER

Its because the fudds think their Gen 2 G19"s with a hogue grips are "perfection" They lose their mind when they see a modded glock.

14. Borg Warner

Borg Warner

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

CanyonMan likes this.
  15. JPARANEE

JPARANEE

Here’s some more I can get you a barf bag :)

waiting on magwell B3A614F8-AC6E-4AA0-BC0B-94E376BD5F37.jpeg 3A142AEC-858C-45CA-B3E1-D847E9788F68.jpeg

F5062A4E-3722-4E94-9051-474CE3B4469B.jpeg

SCHOOFSTER likes this.
  16. Themarinedoc

Themarinedoc

My 996 was red and when I told my dealer that I liked it but that my hands for sore after a while he calmly replied that unless you were going at least 100 mph that would happen. You needed the high speed to raise you up some and take pressure off the hands. He was right.

17. JPARANEE

JPARANEE

The bike was Lovingly referred to as the rack

most uncomfortable bike I’ve ever owned

at speed it was great

stop and go utter torture

18. Themarinedoc

Themarinedoc

Worst 996 experience ever was when I had been out on some roads where I could really turn it on and coming back going from one highway to another, made my turn off and too late realized I was now going onto a 4 lane where a wreck had taken place about a mile up the road and traffic was inching along on one lane; temperature about 90 degrees and I'm in leathers.

19. Borg Warner

Borg Warner

I thought "Fudds" were guys who thought that only guns for hunting or "sporting" purposes were legitimate. But the vast majority of people on this forum are interested in handguns, specifically Glocks primarily for defensive purposes and aren't interested in cosmetic embellishments.

Maybe to you, a Fudd is anyone who doesn't like what you like.

jamppp likes this.
  20. SCHOOFSTER

SCHOOFSTER

thats a heartwarming story...thanks for sharing.