Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 113 Posts

·
Gen4 BETATester
5,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was wondering there was a post where someone put a punisher back plate on there glock. Majority of Glocktalkers agreed in a self defence situation that might not be the best image and message to send. If you where ever put into a position where you needed to use said gun for self defence. I know there are a few police officers on the forum and just in general everyone is extremely knowledgeable. My question is does that go for just about any back plate for the glocks or are some safe? I was looking at maybe trying to get one with the Resident Evil Umbrella Corporation symbol done. This is my self defence weapon and if its gonna cause trouble or possibly throw a Red flag then I will skip it until i can get something else for self defence

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
Personally i don't see how a personalized firearm could affect things. A justified shoot is a justified shoot.

·
Registered
472 Posts
I would say it would be ok, but I also call bull on the idea that a Punisher logo would get you convicted. If a jury convicts because of a logo on your gun you didn't have much of a chance anyway.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Could it help your chances infront of a jury? No
Could it hurt your chances infront of a jury? Maybe
Is it worth it? That's up to you, its a free country!

·
Registered
4,609 Posts
I really like the LW barrels with phrases like "smile at the camera" engraved on the bore. I'm sure a jury would get a kick out of that.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Could anyone point us in the direction of a documented situation where the defendant of a justifiable shooting lost because of a phrase or logo on their weapon? I do not have anything on my gun but if I wanted something on it I don't think I would give the "what the jury think" any thought. I would be more concerned about what I post on the web (ie glocktalk). If you are something that posts consistently about being the wolf in a world of sheeple, for example, you are more apt to have a problem on your hands.

·
Registered
4,609 Posts
Could anyone point us in the direction of a documented situation where the defendant of a justifiable shooting lost because of a phrase or logo on their weapon? I do not have anything on my gun but if I wanted something on it I don't think I would give the "what the jury think" any thought. I would be more concerned about what I post on the web (ie glocktalk). If you are something that posts consistently about being the wolf in a world of sheeple, for example, you are more apt to have a problem on your hands.

Yeah, but the reality is that we're in a real struggle with the liberals who are masters at putting a spin on anything. If one of these mall ninja kids IS involved in a shooting, it wont matter whether its a clean shoot or not, once it gets some airtime on MSNBC. Then we ALL get portrayed as irresponsible, trigger happy mall ninjas.

·
Registered
8,215 Posts
Changing the back plate is for Glock owners who wish they could change their grips. Most of them just look silly tho.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I have seen these kind of back plates, and grips for 1911s, and to me they look silly. Now on a 1911, a fancy pair of hardwood with nice figure, or better exotic hardwoods that would make some gasp "you're killing the rain forest", I can see it. I have yet to see a movie that would make me want to dress up a gun , and I am a long time movie buff. I guess it might be a generational thing, I aint getting any younger, and I got a couple of buddies going to way too much trouble to get such grips, but it is their stuff..... I worked in a gun shop 25 years ago, and we were amazed how many Wildey's we sold, and they were major coin. At least I got to shoot one. The silly rambo knife from the 2nd movie sold like crazy too, and it was crap compared to the first one, and 3x the price. I tell my students to avoid stuff like this, even if the shooting is not prosecuted, there may well be a civil suit, and that is where this kind of thing could get very expensive. I put night sights on my guns, and that is about it(carry guns anyway). Trouble has a way of finding me(especially when I am on my motorcycle) and I need no more because my gun is doctored to look like some kind of killer slasher movie gun. I guess I am getting old. (I have seen some beautiful field artwork on Boer's gun stocks, but I don't recall them being gruesome.....)

·
Registered
158 Posts
You may want to ask this question in the GATE Self-Defense forum. Mas Ayoob is the expert in this area. He has experienced a number of these kind of trials. He wrote the book "In the Gravest Extreme". It's a good book that I would recommend to anyone who does carry a gun for self defense. In fact I may read it again. It's probably a book that's good to read every year or two. One of my favorite parts is how he personally "bribed" himself out of a gunfight.

The simple answer is no, I wouldn't recommend it. It's pretty much a bumper sticker that says "I want to shoot someone". It paints you as a vigilante. While the umbrella logo is not as straightforward. It portrays a concept. People rationalize shooting humans by the surplus that are portrayed as fictional zombies. We are gun guys and the whole zombie thing is kind of cool when sitting at home, but an average non-gun person may not see it that way.

I was lucky enough to have experienced this process as a juror in a criminal case. The charge was "Felony menacing with a deadly weapon" As far as documentation in which things like this have swayed a jury, you may have a hard time finding it. The jury makes their decisions behind closed doors and their thoughts and discussions are not documented. At first our jurors decision was 75% logical, 25% emotional. We deliberated for around 5hrs and finally got the other 25% to come to our side. The last guy was holding out but by then it was 5pm and he just wanted to get home to his family at that point so he gave in.

I think the majority of us here think the opposite of what these logos portray. We carry a gun to protect ourselves. But with that we carry a big responsibility. In fact we will go out of way to put ourselves away from that situation and de-escalate the situation. If all else fails we have a final solution to deadly force and we hope half our training kicks in.

Every book I have picked up on defensive pistol has been beneficial. Some teach you how to fight, and some teach you how to prepare and even avoid it all together. Do some reading and choose for yourself if that logo is really worth it.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
I wouldn't for the SD/jury reason alone, but additionally, I think it would be slightly distracting when trying to line up my sights. Not distracting enough to do me in, but fractions could count.

·
Banned
5,192 Posts
A justified shoot is a justified shoot.
It has little to do with "justified." It does have a lot to do with what a non-shooter attorney or prosecutor who has nearly certainly never been in that situation before can do to convince a non-shooter jury that has never been in that situation before, that you're guilty or innocent. Your actions, your mannerisms, and the image you project before, during and after, have a big impact on that decision.

Put stupid logos or imagines on your firearm which speak to the jury about you, and you're never helping your case.

When the standard is to ask what a normal and prudent person would have done in your circumstances, you want to be viewed as normal and prudent as possible. Taking an action which makes you unique, especially an action which portrays you as an enthusiast, an eager shooter, itching for a fight, can put you in a bad light. You may be fully justified, but the reality is that being justified isn't what sways a jury. Attorneys sway a jury. If a prosecutor can paint you in a bad light, then truth is really what it's made to be on the stand, not what you remember, and not what really happened.

Don't forget, you're not the one who will get to shape that truth on the stand. Your attorney, and the prosecutor will do that for you. Spend your money on a good attorney, rather than silly logos for your handgun.

·
Registered
223 Posts
three things play against you regardless of what you do.

1. Sleeze ball lawyers
2. Worthless criminals / and their families
3. Ignorant hippie juries

It's not a matter of naming a case of when it's happened. It's a matter of do you really want there to be any possible thing that can be used against you in such a situation.

Sure...it's a justified shooting, but then here comes the criminals family right behind the proceedings hitting you with a civil suit for taking away their "innocent wouldn't hurt a fly" child.

It's just one more thing that some slime ball lawyer can point out to that hippie jury showing how you were cruising around looking to pick a fight.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Ok here is my thoughts on this let take you out of this and put a cop from Ohio in.

Now officer smith is a huge fan of Dukes of Hazard. he is a child of the 80s and a huge dodge fan.
And his dept has no problem with a little custom work done to there duty weapon.
Officer smith decides to put a lazer engraved Gen Lee
on the side and a confederate flag on the back plate on the back of his G17.
A ghost trigger and a aftermarket barrel.

Now Mr smith is out at the local stop and rob grabbing a coffee and a donut one night and a gang of young black males come in and trys rob it while he is there.
One has a knife, one has a bb gun but it looks real enough, and one has a cut off single shot 16 Gage shot gun.
So he tells them to stop they don't and he shoots and kills the kid with shotgun and wounds the one with the knife(paralized from the waste down, and he subdues the one with the bb gun.

Now do you think he will be hailed by the media/general public as a hero? or destroyed as trigger happy ******* cop that hates black people????

And the poor young men that he put down and stopped, will have been changing there life around, they were good boys who were just lost.

That's what would happen to you As well in a similar event with punisher anything on a gun in a self defense situation.
They at the very least will sue your Ass into the poor house for Being mean to there poor children.

1 - 20 of 113 Posts