Custom 1911s in 10mm? Dont see a lot

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by loki993, Mar 18, 2010.

1. loki993

loki993

So all these 1911 threads always get me looking. Also every now and again I like to look at all the custom 1911s out and drool and make my plans for the future so to speak.

Thing is I'm a big 10mm fan. I look at all the custom guys, Brown, Bear, Wilson come to mind off the top of my head, and they don't seem to offer guns in 10mm. Mostly .45s, obviously, .38 super, some 9mms and a few 40s. I cant remember which, Brown maybe, but 10mm isn't even listed in the optional features and he doesn't have a barrel listed for it. Now I'm pretty sure if you called one of theses guys they would probably do it for you, but I guess I just find it interesting that they don't list it as an option on anything. About the only custom guy that even advertises 10mm guns is Fusion.

Is there something about the 10mm that makes it more difficult to integrate into the 1911 platform? Or is it just a case of its not popular enough to warrant being put on the site, but its something that can be done if asked for?

Last edited: Mar 18, 2010

2. dosei

dosei

3. 390ish

390ish

i have an svi with 10mm and 38 super barrels. shoots like a champ with both.

4. remat

remat

Most of them won't build anything other than 45, however, I know that Wilson does. One of them (I think it is the CQB) is even a "standard" item.

5. loki993

loki993

Yeah but why is that. Is it just because 45 is the most popular caliber, as I'm sure it is, or is it because there are issues that make it more difficult to produce a gun in a different caliber like 10mm.

I do like the CQB though, that may be the ticket, would have to save up for a long time though. I do find it interesting that the compact isn't offered in 10.

6. simmy952

simmy952

Bob Serva at Fusion make a very nice 10mm 1911. Would love to have a longslide someday.

7. loki993

loki993

Im familiar with him. I drool over the stuff on his site on a regular basis. He is one of the few though that does do 10mm guns and the only one I think that really is kinda known for it.

8. remat

remat

I think that if you add up all of the non-45 1911's (9mm, 40, 38Super, 10mm, etc) it would only be a fraction of the 45's sold. That is probably the biggest reason. But, it is also true that it requires a little more work/tweaking to get to run properly vs. a 45. Add that to the fact that a lot of people see no advantage to 10mm over 45 (and being more expensive to shoot).

There is a new trend for 10mm's in competition. Some folks are using the 10mm's downloaded to 40-equivalent loadings, apparently the longer OAL makes it more reliable than the shorter little brother. Hopefully will be seeing more in the future. Nighthawk and STI just put out one too.

9. loki993

loki993

That makes the most sense they they are just not popular enough. I would still think that they would be able to do it if you wanted though and I think there may be some that wont, however Ive never asked so really who knows.

If someone doesn't see an advantage to 10mm over 45 I say they're not looking very hard honestly. Even a cursory look at the round would show that its better. That's just my opinion though and I'm not going to fault anyone that prefers the 45, its definitely proven. It is the original cartridge for the 1911 and I understand the popularity.

Ill have to look at Nighthawk. I'm hoping for a 10mm resurgence here soon, but I guess we will have to wait and see if that happens.

10. GreyEclipse

GreyEclipse TheGreyEclipse

Bigger isn't necessarily better. We see that time and time again. :upeyes:

11. Short Cut

Short Cut PatrioticMember CLM

This doesn't help you now, but just from a curiousity standpoint, Les Baer used to make 10MM pistols then stopped. Would have loved to bought a 10MM TRS or SRP with 1.5" option.

While not a custom Kimber's Eclipse Custom in 10MM is a darn respectable gun for the money and is adorned with a nice compliment of features for carry.

12. UniversalBrow06

UniversalBrow06

As others have already pointed out they're out there if you look. No, they're not as popular as .45's but that doesn't make them a poor choice. 10mm is my favorite auto cartridge and 1911's are my favorite auto pistols. When put together in, say, a Colt Delta Elite it's a fantastic weapon IMO.

13. rahulanand1130

rahulanand1130

i believe springfield makes a 10mm as well

14. loki993

loki993

Not that Ive seen, but that doesn't mean there isn't one. I have heard though that their custom shop will do it if you ask, so that could be an option someday. Ive heard that the Springfield customs are very nice.

The Delta is on the list. Someday I would like to have a really nice custom 1911 and if at all possible id like it in 10mm.

The question was more about wondering why it doesn't seem that its offered or advertised a lot, even though things like 40 and 9mm are. I was reading a little and there seemed to be an issue with the 10mm battering the guns too much because they weren't originally designed for the 10mm. The statement seems at least somewhat directed at the 1911 because it was talking about guns originally chambered in 45 and the 10 was designed to be a better alternative to the 45.

I really do like that Wilson CQB though.

15. dosei

dosei

Dan Wesson made the Commader Classic Bobtail in 10mm, but discontinued it in 2010. If your ready to pull the trigger on a 10mm, you can still find DW's for sale.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=161690295

Last edited: Mar 22, 2010
  16. PlasticGuy

PlasticGuy

Better? Not in my opinion. The 10mm is a viable option, and does have some advantages over the .45 ACP. I'm not going to say that I'll never buy another one. Then again, the .45 ACP has some advantages over the 10mm also. The lower pressures of the .45 ACP are easier on guns and shooters, and the larger diameter bullets are a simple and effective solution to stopping bad guys. They also cut bigger holes which is an advantage in some shooting competitions.

17. BobbyT

BobbyT

The perfect pistol:

1911 frame, SA/DA, double stack, barrel swap for .45/10mm, and an extractor that could handle .40 in the 10mm barrel with no changes.

Blasphemy, right?

18. PlasticGuy

PlasticGuy

A double stack pistol with a DA trigger? Yeah, it would be perfect for a guy with hands the size of a gorilla.

19. remat

remat

I forgot the Springfield, they do make one, it's called the Master Blaster or something. Download the Custom Shop catalog, it is in there. Price will shock you though.

For me the 10mm is a no brainer because it shoots straighter for me. My EDC and backup are 40 (Glocks) so I can share ammo and loading components with them. Not to mention swapping a 40 barrel into your 10.

Double-stack that fits normal hands? Try the STI 2011 frame. Much more reasonable than the Glock 21 frame (few less shots though).

Even 9mm has only recently become more popular in the 1911 platform. Try and find a 40. There are only a few.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2010