Glock Talk banner

Current Shield Owner - Switch to G43???

4655 Views 47 Replies 46 Participants Last post by  Rocky7
I currently have a Shield 9mm. I've only held the G43 a time or 2 in a storeroom and I really liked the way it felt. Now that the G43 has been out for a while, what's the general consensus? If you had a Shield 9mm, is it worth switching to the G43? I must admit I'm partial to Glocks, but I'm a little hesitant to sell my Shield for a G43. Any input would be much appreciated!
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

· Part Time
4,779 Posts
You can't go wrong with either. I have both and I give the slight nod to the Shield (with Apex sear) over the 43. The stock Shield trigger was horrible. The 43 trigger isn't much better as it has a hard pull but it seems to be be getting a bit lighter with use (knocking on 2,000 rounds.) If you can, grab the 43 and keep the Shield.

· Registered
59,814 Posts
I have had one for a while and four guys who work at the local range a bit north of here took turns with it. Two liked it better than the Shield and two decided the Shield was better for them; working at a range my guess is these guys shoot a fair amount and their collective skills certainly did not help to convince me otherwise. Best I can suggest is that either seems a good solid choice and renting or borrowing one to shoot may help with the decision.

· Registered
2,190 Posts
I had a shield, but when the g43 came out, I shot a g43 rental, and that was all I need to switch over. Nothing against the shield, I liked it a lot, but I prefer the g43. It is all personal preference, rent one and decide for yourself.

· Scottish Member
15,300 Posts
Not for me. I can shoot with the trigger either, but I don't want to give up two rounds in the same size gun. TTI makes (an expensive) +2 base for the Glock.

· PSO Survivor. currently in NW Georgia
15,084 Posts
Sad but true...rock_castle nailed it...I have been saying for over a year the G-43 should have been made 2 years ago...if it had been, Glock would have denied S&W the part of the market the Shield now enjoys!...oh well...perhaps all the "issues" with the divorce and sudden executive shake-ups have been adversely affecting their product development...either way, [we] benefit as now we have 2 great pistols to choose from the G-43 & the Shield

· Banned
353 Posts
I had two M&P Shield 9's for over a year, the Shield is a great gun, accurate, reliable. But I recently sold both to buy two G-43's. I can give you allot of reasons why I like the G-43 over the Shield, but it comes down to this, I like Glock pistols better than the M&P.

P.S.-- I should mention that the G-43 fit my hand better
and gripped better than the Shield...

· Registered
2,100 Posts
I actually waited for Glock to come out with their single before buying one, and still went with the shield :). I like the Glock but my shield ain't going anywhere.

Plus the S&W has a nice trigger, or mine does anyway.

I say be happy with your shield until you can own both.

· Registered
205 Posts
I posted that I was giving up on a G43 and I am for now. I refuse to stand in line for a gun. That is what you have to do around my neck of the woods to get the G43. I bought a Shield a few days ago and I like it a lot. I am going to get a G43 one day when they become more available. I know I can order one and pay a FFL to do the paper work but I am not going to pay retail for a gun I don't handle and pull the trigger on before I put up the cash.

· Registered
1,852 Posts
Well, I like the 43 a lot more than I ever thought that I would. The problem is my Shield has been tested and proven with several hundred hollow points and about a 1k fmj rounds. I also don't think I would pay more to have a 43 over a Shield. The pros and cons of each are pretty apparent. The finish on my two year old Shield has held up better than my friends three month old 43 also, but that may not matter to anyone.

· Registered
11,252 Posts
I have a Shield 9mm, I like it, there are so many other nice compact 9's, you are forgetting the Walther PPS, another really nice well made gun.
If you have to have the latest, go for it....why not?
But, like everything else, wait a while, there will be something else new and the used G 43's will hit the market.

· Registered
118 Posts
like a few others I waited on the 43 never owned a shield, the 43 replaced my S&W 3914, A few friends who own shields have stated they had no reason to switch now. Locally the 43 is not moving as fast as the 42 did but the price here is about full retail plus tax.

· Banned
5,193 Posts
Yesterday I told S&W I want my Shield back. I'm not taking the deal. That's the one where they cut up and destroy my cracked frame and sell me a new pistol as part of their "replacement" program. I'll take the cracked, non-functional one back. That's the one they wouldn't warranty.

A hundred fifty bucks difference in cost (more like a hundred, between cost of the Shield and the G43) is about ten boxes of ammunition for a 9mm; 500 rounds. That's two and a half times more than the Shield lasted, before the frame cracked. Another way of looking it that might be the cost per shot, and that made the Shield exceptionally expensive, to say nothing of untrustworthy, unreliable, with an unbelievably bad warranty.

I haven't had my G43 for long; it was a gift. They don't sit on the shelves around here for long, whereas Shields are in every store and can be had without any problem. I doubt I'll have any need to try the warranty, but I have no doubt that should I need the warranty, I won't have any difficulty from Glock. Based on numerous calls and emails over the last few months, I can't say the same for S&W.

Stock, both the G43 and the Shield have poor triggers. Both are light, both are compact. The shield is comfortable in the waistband, and so is the G43. Given the choice between carrying something bigger and more capable, I'd chose the latter; I wouldn't ditch a favorite firearm in favor of the small single stack in 9mm, save for size. Light clothing, tuckable situations, ankle carry; those are areas where a light single stack like the G43 shines. It wouldn't be my first choice if I were faced with engaging a shooter at a recruiting station, for example, or two shooters at a cartoon convention. I'd rather have something more capable, with more capacity, but that's just me. Then again, I'd rather have a rifle.

Carrying a rifle isn't always practical, so we compromise, and the compromise continues to whittle down what we can carry based on the situation, location, clothing, etc. Under circumstances where nothing else is possible, the G43 will prove a reliable option. It's low capacity, has a poor trigger, has a short sight radius, has a very small grip, and comes only in 9mm (for those that care), but it's what Kahr and most other small pistols should have been. The trigger can be improved, better sights can be had, and there are always options with the grip. One can always carry additional magazines. It's not the pistol one wants in a protracted gunfight. It's got equal the capacity of a revolver (for those of us who still feel comfortable with a revolver), it feeds most everything put in it, and it comes on the heels of a long line of very successful pistols and is made by a manufacturer with a very solid history of taking care of its products and customers.

Get both. Shoot both. See for yourself what works best for you. If you do have a problem with the Smith, don't count on S&W to help you or take care of your Shield. Hopefully you'll have no issues with either one. Given a choice between the two, my recommendation would be to get the Glock.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.