Current car offerings ...

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by quantico, Sep 27, 2020.

1. quantico

quantico 1911 lover Millennium Member

Nice ride.. i have looked for a 2009 to 2012 cayman manual.. the 09 and later cars have the 9A1 porsche engine.. no ims at all.. and supposed to not have rear oil seal and bore scoring issues.

DAKA and -JCN- like this.
  2. norton

norton

Don't know. I don't have a problem with electric vehicles. But they are not going to save the planet.

Victor Dubya likes this.

3. IamtheNRA

IamtheNRA

Same here. I have a 2018 Kia Soul. Bought it new and paid under $20K for it. It's a lot of car for the money, and gets WAAAAAY better gas mileage than my old Wrangler did.

varget likes this.
  4. Glockman4

Glockman4

That’s the real tragedy...

I’ve never owned a vehicle that didn’t have a V8. Just seems like the right thing to have as an American

5. unit1069

unit1069

My only vehicle is a 2003 Nissan crew cab Frontier 4X4 I purchased new that year after my 1999 Frontier standard cab 4-cylinder, 4X4 manual shift was rear-ended by a semi hauling 50,000 lbs of steel rods. Totaled. To this day I'm sick about it because that was the last year any manufacturer made a 4-cylinder four-wheel drive. Got 25 mph to boot and in deep snow it never missed a beat. I'm sick still about the loss of that truck.

Victor Dubya likes this.
  6. larry_minn

larry_minn Silver Member Millennium Member

I had to look. Dealer had similar half ton crew cab, 2nd highest Package in both. The 5.0 V8 10 speed... same price a 2.7 10 speed (or few hundred cheaper). Same MPG. I can’t see it. The 2.7 IIRC twin turbo? High RPM to make similar hp with almost half the displacement.seems it would cause stress, wear? Give me the 5 V8. Unless you can convince me the 2.7 will last.

Victor Dubya likes this.
  7. larry_minn

If it works for you. Great. Most people a lease costs more then it’s worth. Big repairs are very rare until 100k miles.

I didn’t know Joe Biden posted here... ;)

8. larry_minn

I will say the FORD 300 strait 6 was a decent engine. I felt great pulling torque. Fuel injected it IMO pulled as well as my 5.4 does.

9. RenoF250

RenoF250

I assume it is similar to the college thing - lots of cheap long term money drives up prices. Now we have 8 year low interest car loans. My newest car is 8 years old I bought used. I don't like car payments or big insurance payments. I guess some people make boat loads of cash or like to be in debit.

ThomasM4 and larry_minn like this.
  10. quantico

quantico 1911 lover Millennium Member

Like my v10 6.8 liter ford in my superduty
    . With the manual 5 speed it moves right along and can pull a ski boat up a really steep hill without a downshift

11. HollowHead

HollowHead Firm member

A very common myth. The Ecoboosts build peak torque under 3K RPM. HH

12. kiole

kiole

I got a manual civic sport hatchback it was a PITA to find one. I bought the first one I found and got lucky it had just came in.

Dave Lively likes this.
  13. Deanster

Deanster Cheese? CLM Millennium Member

I just don't get the OP's complaint that the whole car industry is going this direction - the top of the market gets all the attention, because it's flashy and new and cool - but for every $90K+ car there are 10,000 Honda Fits, F-150's, Toyota Corollas, Subaru Foresters, mostly bought in the mid-range trim packages in the low-mid $20K range.

I agree that the high end is way past what anyone needs, but for 90% of us, either a Honda Fit or an F-150 would cover 98% of what we NEED. Just about everything past that is just what we want and enjoy, or only do a few days a year.

There's literally nothing cool or interesting about a 2020 Honda Fit. Nobody makes videos about them. Honda has sold 50,000+ of them a year for most of the last 15 years, the numbers are down to about 25K the last couple years as it hasn't gotten updated in the US.

Toyota sells 40-50K RAV4's a MONTH.

I don't know how many $90K supercars are being sold, but it's static in the system behind Civics, CR-V's, Tacomas, CX-5's, etc.

RAV4, CR-V, Camry, Civic, and Highlander combined are almost a million cars a year, just for those five models. The GM/Ford/Fiat pickups are another million and a half units a year.

https://www.marklines.com/en/statistics/flash_sales/salesfig_usa_2019
    https://www.goodcarbadcar.net/2019-us-best-selling-vehicles/

Victor Dubya likes this.
  14. bdcochran

bdcochran

Which Toyota has manual transmission? 2020 models
    Toyota offers a stick on the Corolla sedan but only on one trim level. The Corolla SE can be optioned with a six-speed manual as an alternative to the standard CVT. Buyers can also spec a manual on the SE and XSE versions of the Corolla hatchback.

Victor Dubya likes this.
  15. bdcochran

bdcochran

I would buy a manual too.

I don't know the original fellow's knowledge of dealer trades. If you want a new manual transmission Corolla, you can have your local dealer search. If finds one locally, he has to pay a small amount to the dealer that has one in stock. As the manuals are rare, you have still the option of contacting Toyota USA directly and they will find you one. They know where they ship them.

Cars have changed. 50 years ago, we had two Corollas. We marveled that we got 100,000 miles out of them. It was also a time when the average consumer was buying a new car about every 4 years. Today, if a person gave the same level of care, it should go about 200,000 miles.

Toyota and Honda are the two manufacturers who make incremental changes in car parts. I would not worry about the transmission. Just drain and change the fluid about every 35,000 in exclusively highway driving. That works out to about 3 years for the average driver. I change my Avalon fluid about every two years because all my driving is to the liquor and grocery stores.

Deanster and Victor Dubya like this.
  16. DaleGribble

DaleGribble Liberals 'R Bad!!!!

I can afford a "luxury" car by today's standards of going deeply into debt for a car, but that's crazy and I prefer to stay within what I consider a reasonable budget. 90K for a car is nuts if you aren't making at least 250K a year, and I ain't making anywhere near that, but I'm sure I could get a loan for it.

I'll stick with used cars under 45K and be happy.

17. Deltic

Deltic

Lubed for life means the life is over when the lube runs out.

BOOSTED12A likes this.
  18. Ollies930

Ollies930

Heck, with $45,000 you can buy a used Porsche 996 Turbo and have a blast. Or any number of classic cars. May not be the most practical choices, but they will sound and feel better (subjectively) than the Rolls Royce SUV I saw driving down the road the other day. Unfortunately most cars are losing their appeal to the old guard of car enthusiasts, myself included. My daily driver is a 2015 Nissan Altima, you would not believe the number of times I walked up to a Toyota, Kia or Hundai of similar color and style thinking it is my car. Not that I would call that style anyways. But it does average 34.5mpg in the absolutely most boring manner possible.

19. Budqweiser

Budqweiser

Get yourself a 6 banger Subaru and use a heavy foot. God it has a glorious sound. I just drove around the other day only to hear the exhaust noise. And to get more whiskey. They are gonna quit making them so buy now.

20. Repeat

Repeat

Since most ppl can't afford even a 25,000 car - I suggest the auto industry make their favorite replica of a vehicle they made in the 90's, offer it brand new for 10,000, and they will own the market. I refuse to pay 60,000 for a new 4x4 truck, and then go abuse it down a dirt road. There comes a price point that takes the utility out of a truck.