Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
1,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was out saturday night filling my car up at the gas station when the car next to me was blasting music for everyone at the station to hear. No big deal I thought, I'd be out of there in a few minutes anyways. Then I noticed him get out with a 40 oz beer in his hand as he proceeded to finish the rest and throw the bottle away.

As he was walking inside I looked into his car to see if he possibly had a designated driver, which he did not. Once I realized he would be walking out of the store soon to get in his car with who knows how much alcohol in his system I decided to call 911. I gave a description of him, his car, and gave them his license plate info. After that, I left since I'm not a cop, and I don't want to play one either.

So here's where my question begins, hopefully to those who have some experience in this - What probably happened to him after? It took me another 2-3 minutes to finish filling up my car and leaving AFTER the 911 call. Do they usually catch guys like this when they have a full description of their car/driver/license plate information?

·
Native Mainiac
24,512 Posts
If that happened in Maine, there would be several homeless people fighting over the empty beer bottle for it's 5 cent redemption value.:whistling:

·
Banned
1,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If that happened in Maine, there would be several homeless people fighting over the empty beer bottle for it's 5 cent redemption value.:whistling:
:rofl:

·
Registered
7,799 Posts
Honestly, it's hard to say and depends on several factors. The first is were there any units close to the location. Were there any units available to respond or did dispatch have to hold the call until someone cleared up. Was anyone dispatched to the area or was the vehicle info given out as a BOLO to all units.

All of this plays a factor. I say it's 50/50, unfortunately.

·
Banned
1,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Honestly, it's hard to say and depends on several factors. The first is were there any units close to the location. Were there any units available to respond or did dispatch have to hold the call until someone cleared up. Was anyone dispatched to the area or was the vehicle info given out as a BOLO to all units.

All of this plays a factor. I say it's 50/50, unfortunately.
Dang, that sucks..... something tells me he'll be back and arrested eventually, since I'm pretty confident he'll do the same stuff he did that night over.

·
Banned
1,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Should have called the non-emergency line.
Why? There's seems to have been an exponential increase in someone's life possibly being ended due to one man's will to break the law. If it saves a family/life potentially, and I'm not fined/instructed not to by operators for calling 911, I view it as an emergency and will continue to do so.

·
NRA Life Member
66,995 Posts
Should have called the non-emergency line.
Unfortunately, they don't make it easy to report things on non-emergency lines and the last time I tried using one to report a DUI they acted like I was crazy and they didn't know what to do about the report.

·
Banned
30,493 Posts
But if he can drive OK after a few beers what difference does it make? It's just a revenue enhancement, after all...

·
Banned
1,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
But if he can drive OK after a few beers what difference does it make? It's just a revenue enhancement, after all...
I'll leave that judgement up to the responding officer. You couldn't pay me enough to work with idiots who risk it all over a few beers.

·
Thread Killer
2,418 Posts
Where I work one of two things would have happened. . .

1) - If we weren't slammed busy, someone close would be dispatched and they would look for it. If found, they would follow if and try to develop probable cause for a stop - if stopped, they would investigate as a DUI - if not DUI, release - if DUI, arrest.

2) - If we were slammed busy, it would be given as a BOLO and anyone that happened to run across it would give it a look.

·
Registered
32,852 Posts
Around here the government says to call 911.
The reason for this is that 911 centers have upgraded in the last 10 years. In our area the antennas for cell phones have been aimed so that the right agency gets the 911 call based on where the tower or antenna is. Even then worst case it goes to CHP which will get basic info then try to transfer you. It gets lost frequently but we have your cell number from 911 calls these days and can call back.

Non emergency numbers are really only good if you have time to sit around. Perfect example is if you need to talk to me after I took a report from you and you can't see my voicemail number on my card.

As for catching DUIs from citizen calls, 50/50 sounds about right. We are too busy and spread too thin to do much better. Of course many are not drunk just bad drivers or not drunk enough yet.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Registered
3,974 Posts
What probably happened? The cops couldn’t respond in time and he just drove off.
P.S. Good sig line.

·
Get off my lawn
42,701 Posts
About 5-6 years ago, some completely wasted dude and his GF followed me home in a rainstorm thinking they were following someone else. They were a menace.

I called 911 THREE TIMES in 15 min as they got lost driving around my double-cul-de-sac street. The police did not come until after they hit a fire hydrant at the OTHER cul-de-sac and 2 other neighbors called in.

Had I been able to get hold of my buddy that's on the force, it would have been Code Blue Tornado in a minute. But there is so much S-word going on that it wasn't a priority call ("He'll likely be gone by the time we get there.") until something was hit.

Follow-up: They ruined the front-end of the car on the hydrant. They rolled to a stop at the top of MY c'd's and left the car running to overheat. Police arrived 5-8 min later to find them naked having relations in the front seat.

Oh yeah. She was baby-sitting 2 toddlers who were strapped into the back seat. Never saw it on the police blotter. I hope someone threw the book at them.

While I wish the Po-Po could have nabbed them earlier, they can't be everywhere at once.

·
Spider
1,832 Posts
Where I work one of two things would have happened. . .

1) - If we weren't slammed busy, someone close would be dispatched and they would look for it. If found, they would follow if and try to develop probable cause for a stop - if stopped, they would investigate as a DUI - if not DUI, release - if DUI, arrest.

2) - If we were slammed busy, it would be given as a BOLO and anyone that happened to run across it would give it a look.
This is the same thing my department, that I had worked for, would have done.

·
Registered
59,812 Posts
In some busier call centers the 911 calls and the non emergency dispatch number(s) are all handled by the same people, it is just how the calls are cued.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts