close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Curious about your thoughts on Glocks for "primary" and "back-up"

Discussion in 'Band of Glockers' started by berlin_brigade, Mar 22, 2006.

1. berlin_brigade

berlin_brigade Dismember

Do you use Glocks for BOTH back-up and primary?

- If YES: why and which models? What are the pros and cons?

- If NO: why not? What do or would you use instead? please explain.
    :2gun:
    I have seen several postings in BoG forum that say they use Glocks only as back ups. I'm just curious and want to learn more about the concept of primary and back-up. Is this just for law enforcement officers? Does this mean that private owners carry both primary/backup when going around town, or own both but leave one at home?

I'm also guessing that the carry laws are different in the Philippines.

Thank you as always!:supergrin:

2. riddler

riddler

For primary defense, I listen to my guts and instinct. If it does not feel right, it usually isn't. Experience has taught me that it is best to avoid rather than confront.

But in cases where I really can't,.... situational awareness, slight paranoia and a HS2K pretty much are my backup.

3. theTactician

theTactician

me? my glock is my primary weapon or my HK usp, my back up would be a couple of fragmentation grenades (ideally)...:) that way, i am fearless.

4. MiGalley

MiGalley M&Member

Zu verantworten sich vor Ihrer Frage:

I carry a G21 primary (duty weapon) with a G36 BUG/CCW. I used to carry two Colt's: 1911 Gov't Model .45 ACP with a Detective Special in .38 cal. for back-up. A pair of truly great guns to be sure, BUT in two different calibers and using two very different operating systems. With the 21 and 36 I have two guns in the same caliber (both guns eat my favorite candy-- .45 cal. "Lifesavers"--although they do not use the same magazines), and both guns use the same operating system, meaning everything is located in the same place and works in the same way. Keeps things simple if not uniform. Besides, it is now much easier to dress/accessorize: everything goes with "basic Glock black." :thumbsup:

Thing about Glocks is they are the "Lay's potato chips" of guns: you can't have just one. Have you started your collection yet? Which one is your favorite and why?

Sprechen Sie mit Ihnen später. Seien Sie sicher.

MiG

5. MR_BIG

MR_BIG

its a g30(PTC) on my person, a g35(PTT) in the car and another g30(wifey's gun) hidden in our living room , logic is same operation and you have one when you need one, cons about the g30, becoz of my size, the g30 looks like a toy gun, cant scare off a knife weilding BG with a small gun? then go grab a bigger gun. :supergrin: :supergrin: :supergrin:

6. theTactician

theTactician

before i used to have as a primary weapon an m16a2 rifle and my HK usp as back up weapon. but then i realized, im not going to iraq or afghanistan or liberia or some war torn country , i then disposed my m16a2 and considered using glock as a primary weapon and HK as back up plus a lot of magazines (hindi playboy, hustler, FHM ha...);)

7. rhino465

rhino465

Glocks makes good backups/secondary weapons because they are so simple to use, just like small double action only revolvers. Just "point 'n' click."

8. b8tr

b8tr bent member

I used to carry a G23 and a G27 BUG, however the two peice recoil spring/rod assembly broke down on the G27 at the range (thank God) the larger spring slipped off the rod. I took it to the shop and was given a rod assembly but it bothered me to the point that I traded the G27 on a Ruger SP101 for a BUG.
    I'm not saying this is common, it just bothered me, and that's why I switched.
    I still love my G23.

9. mikey177

mikey177 Remember

In the Philippines, due to the prohibitive cost of obtaining a permit to carry or PTC (that's our version of the CCW), I assume that most gun owners would only have one handgun that they carry regularly. Perhaps the "primary" and "backup" concept indeed refers to LEOs and not the average Filipino civilian.

That said, when I could still afford a PTC, my primary handgun was either a subcompact Taurus 9mm or a snubby. I've never had a PTC for a Glock because I cannot for the life of me conceal them well on my person --they are either too thick or I am too thin :)

10. toxic

toxic

Dont have a glock(yet) but from what i hear. read and experiences of friends.
    Gaston's ergonomic design of the Glock , makes it ideal as a primary and back up pistol. Then again as they say it "its the individuals preference".

11. berlin_brigade

berlin_brigade Dismember

Thanks, Friends - for sharing your experience and thoughts!:rock:

As I mentioned elsewhere in the BoG forum, I am looking to buy my first handgun. I've zeroed in on the Glock after trying a few others. There's just something sweet and magnificent about the engineering and lines of the Austrian semi-auto.:cool:

Not sure yet about a "back-up" (baby steps first), but who knows? The reason I posted the original thread question was to understand the different ways my new friends use their Glocks - I see there are MANY, some of which are quite "interesting." he he he ;)

12. charlie-xray

charlie-xray Gunpowder Adik

My primary would be the Glock 23, then backup would be HK 2000SK (planning to get this year) and a backup to the backup would be a bobcat beretta M21

13. jasonub

jasonub

when it was still right for me to carry even if i dont have a reason to, I carry my hk usp 45 in condition 1.

at home my hk usp gets decocked on the headboard. an assault rifle on my cabinet with mag in. My competition pistol with my house mag 20 rounds of 205 pf is near the door by another cabinet.

now i just have my sv with the 20 round house mag near the headboard at condition 3.:)

14. superman79

superman79

Glock 22 and Glock 27 as back up..

15. cebuboy

cebuboy toy soldier

if i were to carry, id like the g26. hehehe if i need more than one gun to solve my problem, i think the problem would already have solved me first:) kidding aside, the g34 as primary and g26 as backup is my choice. same ammo and the g26 can use the longer mags of the g19 and g17. for home defense my primary would be my pumpgun then the g21 for backup. and they are right, bad thing about glocks is you just cant have one:supergrin: