Curious about Faxon gas port diameter.

Discussion in 'Black Rifle Forum' started by redrooster, Oct 2, 2018.

1. redrooster

redrooster

I recently built my first AR and everything came out great. It functions perfectly and runs smooth.

I'm now looking at the possibility of builds to gift to my kids someday. I'd like to keep them lightweight and simple.

I used a Ballistic Advantage Hanson (.625 gas block journal) on my build and so far have been happy with it (not too many rounds through it yet). I'm looking at Faxon pencil barrels for these particular builds due to price (have 3 kids) and weight. What I've noticed though is that Faxon established/set their gas port size off of an H2 buffer.

Faxon is often recommended when looking for a lightweight barrel, but when you factor in that you need to use an H2 buffer you lose some of the ground you gained in regards to weight. Curious why Faxon would develop around the H2 buffer when they could have chosen a more conservative gas port allowing people to use the standard carbine buffer at 3.0 oz over the 4.6 oz. H2. Also, the H2 buffer is more expensive than the standard which offsets some of the cost advantage of the Faxon as well.

My Hanson barrel runs perfectly with a standard carbine buffer and it was what was specifically recommended to me when I contacted them regarding buffers. I've run XM193 and Tula through it just to see how it would respond. I plan to run Tula through it when it gets cold just to see how it handles that as well.

I'm still working to understand the factors that go into tuning the AR gas system. I'd appreciate any input.

Thanks

2. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

3. dkf

dkf

4. paragon1

paragon1

I have a 14.5 Faxon gunner profile mid length barrel with standard carbine buffer. The upper and BCG is a Bear Creek Side charger. I used the Faxon .625” low profile gas block and tube.

It runs well on all ammo. I mostly shoot 556 and have not experienced any symptoms of over gassing or bolt slap. Recoil is light, as light as a stag 3 gun elite with an 18” heavy barrel and full auto BCG.

5. knuckledragger74

knuckledragger74

Nathan from faxon in a YouTube video with Mr gunsngear said they ported their barrels so their customers could run Tula I'm guessing xm93 run an h2 or 3 , tula run a carbine if you shortstroke. I've got a ba hanson tula just stopped it up last week had to punch it out with a rod. That ammo's garbage.

6. redrooster

redrooster

Have any of you tried running a standard carbine buffer with the pencil barrel series? I plan to primarily shoot wolf gold through these or milspec 5.56.

7. bubbatime

bubbatime

You'll find that gas port sizes are usually smaller on BCM and like minded manufacturers. Aftermarket barrel makers are likely to increase the gas port size so that people dont complain when their Tula ammo doesn't have enough gas pressure to cycle the action.

A Faxon barrel will work fine with a carbine buffer.I have their pencil barrel and it works perfect with a carbine or h buffer.

And let's be honest, are your kids likely to shoot the cheapest ammo they can find, or military 5.56 ammo?

You are over thinking this. Faxon makes good barrels, and they will serve you well. Buy them from aimsurplus, as they come with pinned on gas blocks from them.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2018
    knuckledragger74 likes this.
  8. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

That's what I did, couldn't be happier.