CTR Stock or UBR? Cant Decide...

Discussion in 'Black Rifle Forum' started by JCROWNII, Oct 20, 2010.

1. JCROWNII

JCROWNII

Hello GT,

I have been considering an upgrade from my A2 Stock to either a Magpul CTR stock, or a Magpul UBR stock. Both stocks are solid, quality stocks but I just cant decide which one I would like to purchase. There are a couple of variables that are impeding my ability to make a firm decision. One of them is that I run a 3-point sling; after trying a number of different slings, i.e.1-point, 2-point, etc., I have decided the 3 point sling is best for me. It serves as a viable combat sling and also serves as a utility sling when needed, as well as providing great weapon retention. The 1-point slings I have tried out just swing around too much; when you bend over the rifle hits the ground and has hit me in the groin a few times. That said, both the UBR and CTR having a QD sling swivel attachment at the rear of the stock will provide the means to use a 3-point, but which stock will work best with the 3-point?

Another issue I am having is that I do not like the fact that the UBR weighs as much as it does. I feel I do not want to add more weight to my rifle and was not intending to do so as I have already attached the attachments I need, i.e. light, optics, etc. On the other hand, my rifle is a bit front heavy, as many other ARs out there, so in hindsight, this UBR stock might actually be beneficial to me, for it will balance out the rifle (or so ive heard). My worry is that the rifle will be WAY heavier when slung across my chest; When you have a full load out, i.e. OTV with 6 30 round magazines and a rifle slung on you as well, it can get a little heavy.

The CTR IMO is just a great stock with no BS attached. It locks up solid, fills the need for a 3 point sling , and it is LIGHT.

This is what has me stuck, go heavy with the UBR, or go light with the CTR while also trying to discern which will work better with my 3-point sling.

Any help?

Thanks.

2. 12131

12131 Monkeyboy CLM

I think you already answered you question: CTR.:cool:

3. NeverMore1701

NeverMore1701 Fear no Evil Platinum Member

For your stated purpose, CTR for sure.

I have both, and they're my two favorite stocks, but for anything besides an SPR/DMR role I think the UBR is a bit much.

4. Messer

Messer

Split the difference and get a Magpul ACS. :animlol:

The best answer I can give is try and handle a few guns with both styles. I agree, the UBR seems too heavy for a carbine to me. But I think it would be good on a longer/heavier gun.

A buddy of mine tried my ACS, and went with the UBR - it just didn't fit his face. He wanted to like the ACS (cost), but just wasn't comfortable for him.

If you're local to my area, I'll let you shoot mine - but if not, find a local shop or 3-gun match and see what feels right to you.

Good luck,
    Bob S.

5. NeverMore1701

I tried the ACS, and overall really liked it. The lockup was solid, storage capacity was great, but it just felt really really wide, so I swapped it forms CTR. Great stock though.

6. djegators

djegators

Based on your needs and wants, I think the CTR will fit you better. However, I am sure what your AR setup is, so that does make a difference, as huge factor in selecting a stock is balance. I have the UBR on a Noveskes Recce, which has full length heavy rails, and an ACOG. With this rifle the UBR balances nicely, and offers a solid continuous cheek weld and a good shoulder foot print. I have a Magpul MOE on a 6920, which is a lighter setup without optics, and it seems to be a good compliment (MOE is basically the same as the CTR without the friction lock). Someone else mentioned the ACS, and I must admit it is my favorite stock on any of my ARs. It offers a nice long length, especially with the extended butt pad, which works well for a big guy like me. It also has a comfortable cheek weld for accuracy shooting, yet is a bit lighter the UBR making it better for lugging around. Look for a stock that is comfortable for you and compliments your setup.

7. .556

I have the MOE and it's rock solid

8. Singlestack Wonder

Singlestack Wonder

For your stated purpose, the MOE would work fine. If you need the stock to lock tightly onto the extension to eliminate noise cause by the stock moving on the extension, then get the CTR with it's secondary locking system.

9. DD26

DD26 Anti-Anti

I agree with all of the above; for what you're looking for...go with the CTR. I love my UBR, but I know it wouldn't fit certain roles.

The MOE lacks the sling swivel that the OP wants. (Yes, I know there are other ways to get a sling swivel on the rear of a rifle)

10. mjkeat

mjkeat

I think the advise to try both stocks is the best. I have all 4 stocks mentioned and like them all. Magpul has its stuff together. You expressed interest in the qd holes so I wouldnt go MOE. The ACS isnt as visually pleasing IMO if thats a deciding factor. I have the UBR on a billet 14.5" rifle w/ light and 13" rail. The UBR is as solid as it gets and really balances the rilfe well. I feel the CTR would work on almost any load-out but best on a light weight rifle.

11. djegators

djegators

Watcha talkin' about Willis?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. NeverMore1701

From the side I think it looks great, but from the top its just really really wiiiiide. Wide enough to be somewhat uncomfortable for me, in addition to being kinda ugly.

13. djegators

djegators

To each his own...very comfortable cheek rest IMO.

Another stock to consider is the VLTOR modstock. Light weight, has QD sling attachment spot, and is still on sale at BCM I think....oh wait, we can't like that one, because it is wide when you look at it from the top....

Just kidding around, lots of great stocks out there, find one you like, that is comfortable, and balances your rifle.

14. mjkeat

mjkeat

I have one as well.

[​IMG]

I didnt say it wasnt visually pleasing just that it wasnt as visually pleasing as the UBR. I like my ACS for its functional attributes though.

15. djegators

djegators

Just bustin' your chops. I like my UBR a lot, and agree that it looks great, but the ACS is quickly becoming my favorite stock.

[​IMG]

16. mjkeat

mjkeat

No offence taken dj. Those VLTORs are nice too

17. furioso2112

furioso2112

I like the cheeck rest on the...one with the storage compartments. I forget which letters it is - weight is not really a concern to me between UBR/ACS. I like the storage compartments.

18. NeverMore1701

ACS is the one with the battery tubes.

19. DD26

DD26 Anti-Anti

20. BlutoBlutarsky

BlutoBlutarsky

Light, solid, fast, comfortable, swivel attachments, get the CTR for a carbine. The UBR would be my choice on a longer range rifle.
    [​IMG]