CT Off-limits Places by Statute

Discussion in 'New England Colonial Club' started by Hef, Mar 29, 2007.

1. Hef

Hef Stop Obammunism

My non-res CWP application is getting processed right now, and I have been looking for information as to what places are off-limits for concealed carry in CT. Can anybody direct me to the proper statute(s)? So far, all I've found pertains to carrying on school grounds, and nothing else.

2. Jene

Jene Millennium Member

I believe that the is the only statutorily [sp?] listed location.

3. Hef

Hef Stop Obammunism

So if I carried in a bar, nightclub, or town hall I would be legal? Are there any laws requiring specific signage to legally prohibit carrying?

4. harlenm

harlenm Millennium Member

Primary or Secondary schools, state or federal buildings, or anywhere it's posted no firearms.

Bars aren't illegal, but the police will apparently arrest you if you are caught carrying in a bar.

Municipal buildings are perfectly legal, do it all the time.

5. Hef

Hef Stop Obammunism

If it's legal to carry in a bar in CT, what would I be charged with? how could that be?

6. minus

minus

I thought that posted signs carried no weight until you were asked to leave at which point it became criminal trespass.

7. harlenm

Most likely, but I ignore the signs anyway.

8. harlenm

There was a story on Packing.org a long time ago about someone who was arrested while carrying in a bar, and even though they couldn't cite a law, they still arrested him, charged him with something like Dis. Con., and he had his permit revoked.

I can't find the story now however.

9. minus

minus

You and everyone else probably. Charter communications is the only place I have seen posted around here.

10. minus

minus

I hate the fact that that kind of stuff happens in this state. Save the partial AWB CT is not that bad.

11. harlenm

All Wachovia banks are posted with the gun with the slash though it.

The only place that I actually observed the sign was the one on the social security office in Ansonia, but that one is a big deal!

12. Jene

Jene Millennium Member

We dont arrest just because you are carrying in a bar. Now, if you are carrying in a bar, are intoxicated, and get to the point that everyone knows you are armed thru some indescretion on your part with the firearm, then you most likely probably deserve to get arrested.

13. Tvov

Tvov

That is the first that I have heard of no-gun signs. I have never seen one. Actually, I don't think there is a Wachovia bank near me.

14. Hef

Hef Stop Obammunism

Are you an LEO?

I don't drink. Babysitting drunk idiots (bouncing) has taken all the fun out of alcohol for me. ;)

South Carolina has very clear statutes regarding the possession and use of firearms. Section 16-23-20 has a clearly defined list of places that are off-limits, and I like that. CT, in contrast, seems quite vague, and to me that vagueness creates an opportunity for a cop with a hard-on for armed citizens to arrest them when the mood strikes him.

15. Jene

Jene Millennium Member

Hef...... roger that. Checked the statute books last night....... damn that lawyerese for them books is hard to decipher at times. Found no listings for prohibited places to carry. Roger, the laws can be vague sometimes. Consider this.... Connecticut issues a firearms carry permit.... no where on it does it say concealed. Checked with SP weapons division, and while they stated I am correct that it doesnt say concealed, open carry would get you arrested under the breach of peace statute, as you are causing public alarm. I personally think thats bull, but I have never been confronted with an open carry yet.

16. Jene

Jene Millennium Member

Hef...... roger that. Checked the statute books last night....... damn that lawyerese for them books is hard to decipher at times. Found no listings for prohibited places to carry. Roger, the laws can be vague sometimes. Consider this.... Connecticut issues a firearms carry permit.... no where on it does it say concealed. Checked with SP weapons division, and while they stated I am correct that it doesnt say concealed, open carry would get you arrested under the breach of peace statute, as you are causing public alarm. I personally think thats bull, but I have never been confronted with an open carry yet.

17. lens

lens

Open carry in New England (except in the woods maybe in VT, ME, NH) is just looking for trouble!!

MGLs don't address open vs. concealed carry here either, but like Jene, if you open carry you WILL get hassled or arrested! And your permit is likely to be pulled.

I had to open carry for 17 years in uniform and was NEVER comfortable, always watching who was around me near to the gun, unless it was other officers. In fact I was in a small, crowded gun shop on Friday and had chatted with a MA State Trooper who was buying a gun, then went upstairs to look at their C&Rs. When I came back down and got within ~6' of said Trooper, his eyes came around to me to check out who was near him (he was leaning over the showcase filling out paperwork) as he was vulnerable to someone doing a gun grab at that point. Good awareness on his part!

For the last 8 years I work in LE but in street clothes and carry concealed. I like it a lot better that way. Regardless of laws!

18. lens

lens

I have expertise on MA gun laws and only limited knowledge of other state's laws up in New England. However, I am unaware that any New England state (I can say with certainty about MA and NH) has any law giving "LEGAL" credibility to signage in their states (on private property). [No matter what, if asked to leave a private venue for any reason and you refuse, now you can be charged with criminal trespass!]

I have seen a small sign on the windows of Hoyt theaters saying no guns (means nothing here) and perhaps another theater chain as well. I have seen verbiage on a text placard at at least one mall and one or two other random places. Yawn!

Be aware that you can NOT carry on any Indian Reservation property! This included Mohegan Sun (my only destination in CT, for the concerts and dinner, we don't gamble) and Foxwoods (never been there). NO state license will cover you there!! Not even sure about HR 218, so I go unarmed when I visit CT.

19. Hef

Hef Stop Obammunism

The Special Licensing & Firearms Unit told me yesterday that my permit was mailed out Monday.

Just thought I'd share.

:supergrin: