Glock Talk banner

Cryptolocker 3.0 decrypt?

1125 Views 3 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  IndyGunFreak
A good friend of mine and officer of the law the county over has had his XP laptop encrypted by Cryptolocker 3.0. Just a few weeks ago I found a link to a site where you could post a file and get a key, however that site is gone now dammit! Does anyone here know where I can gain a key? Thanks in advance, keep your powder dry, your women smiling and your weapon handy.
A good friend of mine and officer of the law the county over has had his XP laptop encrypted by Cryptolocker 3.0. Just a few weeks ago I found a link to a site where you could post a file and get a key, however that site is gone now dammit! Does anyone here know where I can gain a key? Thanks in advance, keep your powder dry, your women smiling and your weapon handy.
See more
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
10,030 Posts
Your friend is basically hosed.

If you do a Google search, you will find some sites that will give away a key that MIGHT work based on prior success but no guarantees.

http://support.code42.com/CrashPlan..._Files_Infected_By_CryptoLocker_Or_CryptoWall

Look in the block "Decrypting CryptoLocker".

I hope he has backups from before the infection and a way to recover from the backup files. Otherwise, it's time to reinstall the OS from scratch. BTW, I doubt that I would even bother trying to recover from backup files. They are probably infected. It seems like a perfectly good time to upgrade to a Solid State Disk Drive as it won't have remnants of the virus laying around.

· Registered
27,807 Posts
Bottom line, any site where you could post a file and get the key.. is probably fake and likely just going to introduce more malware. The only person that's going to be able to give you the key, is whoever is holding the ransom. Short of paying some serious money for a recovery.. your friend is hosed.

Hopefully he has a backup.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.