close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Crow Calling??

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by FullClip, Aug 12, 2004.

1. FullClip

FullClip NRA Benefactor CLM

Has anybody tried calling crows?? I've popped a few with the rifles once in a while when the opportunity presented itself during "crow season" as I hate the dang things. Have seen them take baby birds out of nests and they also do a tune on game bird chicks. So two years ago I thought I'd try calling them and shooting on the wing. Off to the store, bought a call, an owl decoy and a few crow decoys just like you read about. Set up in the corner of a field close to house with a friend of mine who wanted to try out his new Super Black Eagle before duck season. After just a few blows on the call they came in from all directions. Bad thing is that the reaction was so fast and furious we were double over laughing and couldn't even think about taking a shot. Have never seen anything like it, was out of Alfred Hitchcock's movie "The Birds".
    Have since learned what to expect and can usually get three or four before they realize it's a set up and fly away. If you've never tried it, calling crows can be fun even if you're not going to shoot them.

2. mudfootball

mudfootball

love to shoot crows, this time of year i take the crow call out in an area i hunt groundhogs with a shotgun, get in the edge of the corn and call if you see one cruisin, they come right in as slow as slow can be, later in the year after duck and goose season is goe, i set up in a big open field and throw out a few decoys and keep watch from my avery finisher field blind, they come in 4ft off the ground and get as close as you could ever want. very very fun, keeps your aim sharp.
    kt

3. WalterGA

WalterGA Millennium Member

I can play many popular tunes on my crow call. I played "Happy Birthday" for a female friend of mine the other day. :)

4. git_r_dun0405

git_r_dun0405 5FDP

I have this thing about "Crows". I "Hate" them. I call them all of the time. Wooden calls seem to work better than plastic. I also like the Crow and Owl fight, Death of a Crow cd or cassettes. Can be found @ http://crowbusters.com These Cds really get 'em in close and they keep coming back even after you shoot.;N

5. WalterGA

WalterGA Millennium Member

I shoot 'em with rifles. One of my favorite tricks is to call 'em (I use the tapes, also) from a scope of woods around 200 yds. from me. When they get about half-way to me, I'll stop the calling. They'll frequently return to the woods, but make the mistake of lighting in trees near the edge of the woods. Fatal mistake.

6. buckfever34

buckfever34

I agree with you all. Shooting crows is a blast!! I have a Johnny Stewart predator caller and I use the cassettes mentioned above...works like a dream.

7. RMTactical

RMTactical Battle Born CLM

What are ideal conditions for a crow call? Never tried it, sounds like fun.

8. TScottW99

TScottW99 NRA Life Member

I love to call crows. Especially when I'm trying to get a gobbler to shock gobble. The best crow call I've ever used is the Gibson Walnut Long Range call...

[​IMG]

The man knows how to make a crow call.