Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been using the Elliptical (level 16) and curious if you just use that can you still stay in shape to run (2 mile Army PT Test)?
Or are the muscles you use so different you should do 50/50 (treadmill / Elliptical)?
Bad knees but not getting a profile to get out of running but trying to figure out the best way to keep fit.

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
I really doubt it. Can you run shorter distances? Ross Enamait never runs long distance, but he does lots of shorter runs and short, high-intensity workouts. He claims to be able to run 5 miles in 30 min. and I have no doubt he can.

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
I really doubt it. Can you run shorter distances? Ross Enamait never runs long distance, but he does lots of shorter runs and short, high-intensity workouts. He claims to be able to run 5 miles in 30 min. and I have no doubt he can.
+1

running is unique. it involves most all muscles. elipticals are non-impact -- the opposite of running: impact.

a combo of running less distance combined with eleptical for cardio might be a great way to keep the wear and tear on body minimal while attaining the goals you want.

·
Registered
72 Posts
+1

running is unique. it involves most all muscles. elipticals are non-impact -- the opposite of running: impact.

a combo of running less distance combined with eleptical for cardio might be a great way to keep the wear and tear on body minimal while attaining the goals you want.
Yup, you're body needs to be able to handle the wear and tear of running. You can condition your cardio-respiratory system using the elliptical ... high-intensity intervals would be your best bet.

·
Registered
6,573 Posts
Been using the Elliptical (level 16) and curious if you just use that can you still stay in shape to run (2 mile Army PT Test)?
Or are the muscles you use so different you should do 50/50 (treadmill / Elliptical)?
Bad knees but not getting a profile to get out of running but trying to figure out the best way to keep fit.

I used to be in exactly your position. I had to be able to do the APRT, but the knees were having problems from years of jumping and humping rucks. For me the elliptical worked out great as an option that allowed me to have a low impact fitness workout. I found that I still had to run, but I could do a run just a couple of days a week, with the rest of the training days on the elliptical machine, and still pass. Think of the elliptical as a 22 conversion. You still have to shoot the real stuff every once in a while, but don't have to all the time. I used a 35 lb vest when I was hitting the elliptical hard.

·
Shut your mouth
5,318 Posts
I used to be in the running is hard on the body camp. I some respects I believe running can be hard on the body.

I hear "bad knees" as an excuse to not run often. While there are varying bad knees out there, I believe running will ultimately repair your knees. One must run correctly and smartly though.

My knees were pretty worn out after ten straight years of hard alpine skiing. Running has made my knee feels better than they ever have.

Nothing can get you in shape to run except running. Period. So much of it is mental anyway.

MF

·
Politico
1,130 Posts
I have bad knees. I always tried to spend as little as I could on a decent pair of runnings shoes. Then I went out and bought some really nice Asics $130+ and it made a world of difference. There are different shoes for the different ways people run. Outside of the foot, inside etc etc. Look into it. Nothing beats running.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have been running one day on and one day off. Got some good running shoes before we deployed.
What I have been doing that really does help is running on the treadmill, takes a ton of "shock" out compared to running on concrete.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts