close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Crossbreed vs. MTAC in vehicle

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by mayhem23, Apr 3, 2010.

1. mayhem23

mayhem23 Far East Sailor

I am one of many in search of a holster. Obviously these two are what everyone has been using as you read the threads. However, I haven't read about anyone commenting on how comfortable they are while driving or riding in a vehicle. I have a G23 that I purchased in February and welcome any input in this matter. I have been carrying a Taurus 650 CIA with a Bianchi AccuMold which rides close to the body and I hardly know that it is there.

2. buckslayer

buckslayer 3 x Combat Vet

Right now I am carrying a G23 in a C-Tac and it works great with me. I ordered a Crossbreed Supertuck Delux about 2 weeks ago so I'll let you know how it fits/feels once I get it.

3. swinokur

swinokur

I have a MTAC for my 5" Kimber TLE and a ST for my G30. They are a little uncomfortable when driving but I usually just slide them a small bit towards the 12 o'clock position and they are ok. You could also increase the cant to alleviate the butt of the weapon from pushing against the seat. It's nothing I can't live with. For an extended trip I might stow the weapon in my small car safe.

4. pinkertonTJ

pinkertonTJ 9/12 Groupie

I have a MTAC w/ slide version that carries a G26 everyday. It is very comfortable, dont have to adjust it any to "feel" right. But, of course its my opinion and you all know how that is. Good Luck tho!

5. Soothsayr

Soothsayr

I have found that the only issues with an MTAC in a vehicle is lack of coverage for the grips. If you are quite slim, this might not be a problem, but I am a bigger guy (6'2"/240), and I have Talon grips on my G30, so I feel like I getting sandpapered constantly. If I know I have any substantial driving, I switch over to a very comfortable holster that I picked up from a company called N82 tactical. It fully covers the grip area, isnt overly hot in the summer, and keeps a very nice low profile. The only drawback is it can be a bit difficult to re-holster. Its not a training holster, but is a very comfortable alternative to a hard leather or plastic, and quite affordable too, at around $40.

http://www.n82tactical.com

6. kda

kda NRA Life Member

A couple of things addressing your question and some points made above.

I use the Crossbreed IWB at 4-5 o'clock for my G 19 and G26. I have the belt clips adjusted so that the top of the kydex is even with and parallel to the top of the waistband of my jeans. I honestly don't know it is there after I sit down and get busy doing anything else, like driving, etc. 5' 11" and 167 lbs.

I have Talon grips on all my Glocks and for my EDC weapons, I simply took some sandpaper to the bottom inch or two of the left side of the talon covered grip to take the "edge" off the talon grip. It don't take much to "dull down" that area on the Talons and then having that little bit of that side of the pistol grip up against bare skin is no longer an issue at all ... and the pistol still has that great grip that Talon gives.

7. aarc68

aarc68

Im 6'2'' 185lb My G23 in CBST with one hole of foeard cant is noticable but very comfertable in my truck

8. swinokur

swinokur

Wearing an undershirt in climates where it can be tolerated seems to help too.

9. mayhem23

mayhem23 Far East Sailor

To All, Thanks for your input. Greatly appreciated.

10. Thx-1138

Thx-1138 NRA Member

If you get thin undershirts, or even better, athletic shirts (aka wifebeaters), you can wear them in any weather.

An athletic shirt covered by a buttoned, untucked, Hawaiian shirt is extremely comfortable in very hot weather.

11. Doc8404

Doc8404 Master Chief

any new reviews? Looking at CB Supertuck vs CT MTAC for my Glock 19. dislike the long wait on the CBST.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2011
  12. jeffyjeff

jeffyjeff awesome sauce

g26, cbst, 3oclock, talongrips, undershirt. just as comfortable as standing.

13. crazyfarmer

crazyfarmer

6ft and 175 here and the sandpaper grips suck for driving or even walking around. I love the holster and love the talon grips but I may need to remove them for that reason.

but to answer the question, the crossbreed at the 12-2 o'clock will be fine. I carry my 26 at the 1pm range and no issues at all. With any IWB, it will depend on you and what you like.

14. carloglock19

carloglock19

I got an MTAC for my 23 and its awesome. I wear an under shirt or wife beater under all my shirts. For me the leather/holster keeps the gun away from my skin even when sitting (in car etc.) Easy to draw and holster and very comfortable no matter what I'm doing.

[​IMG]

15. carloglock19

carloglock19

Why wait! I ordered my MTAC on Feb 22nd and got it in the mail on the 25th and started wearing it the same day. Just my 2 cents and personal experience!

16. BobKat

BobKat

17. billkny

billkny

Midway USA has a pretty good selection listed as available and ready to ship.

18. wrangler5

wrangler5

I've carried a G26 (occasionally a G19) comfortably in an MTAC for several years - sitting, walking, driving, whatever. One thing that may affect comfort in a car is the shape of the seat back, especially any side bolsters down low. My minivan seat is just fine, but sporty seats probably will be a problem. Others? Just have to see.

19. denn1911

denn1911

I drove 12 hours round trip six months ago with a 19 in a CB ST. It was comfortable and had no issues.

20. RichM

RichM NRA Benefactor

I have Crossbreeds and MTACs. They're nearly identical in how they feel while concealed.

Here's how I have all my Crossbreeds and MTAC's set up. This one is with a G26.

You can move the holster one way or the other until the grip doesn't hit the seatback.
    I've worn mine on a lot of 5 hour drives and you can actually forget about it.

[​IMG]