close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Crossbreed vs. Kholster

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by dbjd, Jan 28, 2010.

1. dbjd

dbjd

I own a Crossbreed. A friend informed me about Kholster and they appear to be a good value. Anyone have experience with both?

2. ricklee4570

ricklee4570

I would be interested in hearing about a comparison as well.

3. NC-G27

NC-G27

I'd wanted to see the same and I found a good comparison last week, and bookmarked it on another PC... When I get the link, I'll post it here...

Same thread also contained posts by both company owners of Kholster and Crossbreed taking a few shots at each other... The owner of Crossbreed was accusing the owner of Kholster of copying them... and the owner of KHolster was said that Crossbreed copied another design...etc.. Was quite entertaining and informative..

Last edited: Jan 28, 2010
  4. dbjd

dbjd

These holster wars are pretty silly. It's a piece of leather, and some Kydex, folks. File for a patent or quit your whining. Free market forces seem to be making for bitter apples amongst some.

I will say that my Crossbreed is horse hide and of very nice quality. This is not meant to be an apples to apples comparison. I'm just wondering if the Kholsters are working out for fans of this full-coverage, IWB design that so popular these days.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2010
  5. dosei

dosei

Both holsters appear to have IMHO a major design flaw which is commonly seen on so many of the newer holsters being made by people that, as far as I can tell, are "figuring it out as they go". One of the most important things that any holster should have (again, IMHO...and everything I've been taught and have read) is a general absence of material around the grip/below the trigger guard area. A holster should allow the wearer to obtain a full grip on the gun before the gun begins to come out of the holster. Any holster that does not allow the wearer to grip the gun just like they would when shooting, while the gun is still completely in the holster, is IMHO not properly made. The Kholster is the absolute worst of the two, with it's huge circle of leather ringed with holes for "Almost any cant angle and depth adjustment" and the kydex wrapping around the trigger guard so close to the grip...it very much looks like the wearer would not be able the have their index finger pressed tightly against the trigger guard with the gun still in the holster. And that big floppy circle of leather...Oy Vey. Crossbreed at least offers a "Combat Cut" which helps...but it still appears they bring the kydex up too close to the grip as they wrap it around the trigger guard...just NOT correct. Compare these to The Answer by Tucker. Notice how the kydex on this design covers the trigger guard but does not wrap around it anywhere near the grip...allowing the wearer to obtain a tight high grip on the gun while it is still in the holster...without any pinching of the index finger between the gun's grip and the holster material...that is correct holster design.

6. dbjd

dbjd

Interesting take, dosei. I figured that the answer to holsters like "The Answer" were these full-coverage paddle designs. Maybe I have it backwards but a lot of complaints about comfort were due to grips digging into your side/back, especially with direct skin to grip/butt contact. With the holster paddle as big or bigger than the gun, you should be able to slide your thumb between the hide and the grip or get your thumb around as you remove the gun. You're certainly more likely to end up with your thumb between the holster's hide and YOUR hide but comfort seems to be of primary concern with these new, IWB designs.

7. dosei

dosei

Remove the leather and there is that much less that you have to get out of the way to get a good grip. I always wear a tight/smooth undershirt, usually UnderArmor or 5.11 (I bought a bunch of 5.11 "muscle mapping undershirts" for $5 ea. awhile back). These not only keep me cooler when it's hot & warmer when it's cold...they make IWB carry delightfully comfortable...they make getting a good grip easier (fingers glide across the material)...and they allow my outer shirt to drape much better which aids greatly in concealment.

Note: Avoid cotton undershirts at all costs...cotton is the worst possible material choice for staying cool or staying warm. Cotton absorbs sweat and HOLDS it. This means absolutely no evaporative cooling effect in the summer. And once cotton gets wet, all insulation properties are gone...so if you sweat just a little on cooler days from working you've just negated any insulation properties the cotton was providing. There is a reason why backpackers have a saying..."Cotton Kills"...it cooks you in the summer and freezes you to death in the winter. Also, cotton lacks the smoothness of UnderArmor style shirts that helps your outer shirt drape so much better.

Comfort does not require a person to be content with sub-par gear.

8. dbjd

dbjd

dosei, I think a slick, poly undershirt as part of your concealment system is great idea. I spend a lot of "down time" in un-tucked, cotton t-shirts but I only wear one at a time. Skin on frame is no good for me so I like these designs, as do a lot of people.

I'm not going to say any design is "sub-par" based on my subjective requirements. If an immediate and full, positive grip is your primary requisite for a system, there are other designs to consider aside from than the full-paddle IWB types mention in this topic.

9. dosei

dosei

I would not say it is a "primary requisite"...but I do think of it as one of the many "non-negotiables".

Guns shoot, no sense owning on that does't do that very well no matter how nice it fits my hand or how light is is to carry. I can find guns that do shoot and fit my hand & carry nicely.

Holsters give me unrestricted fast access to my gun when I need it, if they don't do that it really does not matter how comfortable it is. I can find holsters that do everything they are supposed to do that are comfortable to wear all day every day and that do conceal the gun exceptionally well (as well as hold the gun tightly so it does not come out of the holster until I want it to).

10. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr CLM

I'd pass on both,....get a Comp-Tac MTAC

11. dbjd

dbjd

OK, now that we've learned that this design if fundamentally flawed...

Anybody have insight on Crossbreed vs. Kholster? Everybody else that sees this topic and wants to wax about how they suck can save it.

12. G19lover

G19lover

The Kholster is designed to fit what you want. Once you figure out how you want to carry the gun, cant and depth, you start cutting away what you don't need. A full grip on the gun is a necessity. I trimmed my Supertuck to give me just what I needed. I think the Kholster has the advantage wiith the variable holes in it. I have heard pretty good stories about it but the Crossbreed is raved about and I am quite pleased with mine. To expect a manufacturer to produce a holster that they think is perfect for you I think is a little presumptious.

I am thinking of ordering a Kholster for my 1991 A1. They are guaranteed for life regardless of how you trim up the leather.

13. fifty2you

fifty2you Bad guy

Tagged for holster war link

14. ramblinoak

ramblinoak

cant speak for the Kholster,but i really like my crossbreed it is my favorite holster for CCW......

ramblin

15. G26lefty

G26lefty

I have a Kholster for my Glock 26 and I couldn't be happier with it. It is comfortable with or without an undershirt. I have no problem getting a good grip on my pistol and I have never put my hand between the leather and my skin.

This thread is the first time I've heard any negative feedback on the Kholster.

16. rns-glock37

rns-glock37

i have a kholster and have no complaints at all. i haven't tried a crossbreed but from everything that i've read they are very close in comparison. if the comparisons turn out to be true and they are very close then the price of the kholster with free shipping is, for me atleast, the winning combination. in addition the kholster gives you greater flexibility in cant and depth. all of this plus the lifetime warranty again, imho, make the kholster the better choice.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2010
  17. G19lover

G19lover

Crossbreed is guaranteed for life also but the Kholster is less expensive and free shipping. Certainly a plus. Here is a rebate code you can use a guy sent me from another forum. Anyone can use it. You will get a 10% discount and he will get a 25% if he buys another.

Rebate Code 12-2731

Put this code in the "special instructions" field during checkout or send them an email with the code (and eBay item # if purchased on eBay) you will get a 10% rebate when they ship your Kholster. This code can be used by as many people as would like to use it!. It does say that discounts, sales, & rebates can not be combined.

18. 18jms

18jms I love Guns

I own a kholster for my Taurus 709 and I have to say it is by far the most comfortable holster I've owned. Sitting, standing, running no problem dosent slide or come loose. Very easy to pull the gun out in a hurry.

The Kholster has a lifetime warranty. The Kholster also lets you trim the leather and make modifications without voiding the warranty. You have 90 days also to wear and try it out to see if you like it. If you dont you can send it back for full refund no questions asked.

I have a rebate code also you can use 01-3007 for 10% off include the code under special instructions on the order page, if purchased on ebay also include the ebay auction number.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2010
  19. INSPGAD

INSPGAD

I personally own several of all 3 and I find the KHolster is the one I use all the time the MTac is a nice holster but the way it is put together it doesn't come up high enough to block the hammer and beavertail on my 1911 colt Combat commander from sticking me in the side ( I'm 6' 300 lbs) and it does not protect my side from the grip rubbing me raw. The Crossbreed does a bit better job covering the hammer and beavertail but still doe not protect my side from the grip. The KHolster is just what the Dr ordered as they say as it covers all the irritants (hyammer, beavertail and grip) and I have never had a problem getting a proper grip on my pistols when drawing them in practice or out shooting them, so IMHO all 3 are good (don't know what the problem with the trigger guard is with some people) but the KHolster fits my needs and as I said it is my primary carry holster 95 percent of the time I carry. To me to each his own everyone has their own opinion nad different things work for different people, that doesn't make them wrong as long as we practice with what works for us and make sure that in an emergencgy it will be a natural reaction for us. Thanx Mark :supergrin:
    P.S. I hae not trimmed anything off of it I love it as it is.

Last edited: May 9, 2010
  20. Wasatch

Wasatch back again

Great thread. Thanks, all.