Crossbows legal inTN now

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by BlackBelt, Jun 6, 2005.

1. BlackBelt

BlackBelt

TN has now leglized crossbows for deer hunting during all deer hunting seasons (archery, muzzleloader, rifle). This is great news for my handicapped friend!
    Does anyone here use one of these?
    I need some basic info on them. Do they need string silencers like a compound bow? How/why/when to lube the string?
    Is their effective range about the same as a compound bow?
    Any info would be appreciated.

2. leeinmemphis

leeinmemphis

I have an excaliber that I got last week and I love it. Below are the first four shots ever with the crossbow. I bought it from a dealer in Ohio and he preshot the bow and set the scope before he shipped it. Out of the box you can see it is very accurate.

[​IMG]

Very first two shots at 20yards.
    [​IMG]

Next two shots at 30yards:
    [​IMG]

-lee-

3. Michigun

Michigun live free or die

I use a crossbow here in Michigan… here you need a special permit to be able to use a crossbow during archery season. You must be permanently disabled in order to receive the free permit. I was VERY glad to see this new law some years back now as it was the ONLY way I was going to be able to bow hunt… I tried for SEVERAL years to learn to use a regular bow with zero luck. The year after I gave up we had our crossbow law.

Anyway…

String silencers don’t help much at all with 99% of the crossbow’s out there… it’s just the way it is due to the way the crossbow works. (By far the Excaliber has the quietest shooting design I’ve fired to date, but it’s still loud when compared to a well set-up compound bow… the Excaliber is on the large side for crossbows too.) IMO it’s better to put up with the noise then to add things trying to quiet it down that only end up robbing the crossbow of its speed… the crossbow’s speed is its key!

As far as the string goes… crossbow strings don’t get lubed… you treat them no different then any other bow string… they only get wax applied to them. I wax my crossbow’s string every time I shoot her or once a week during bow season.

Now what DOES get lubed on the crossbow is the rail/barrel (what the bolt (arrow) rides on)… this is important to lessen the wear on the string’s serving & to keep up the bow’s velocity… I lube the rail/barrel when there is lack of sign of lube on the rail/barrel… this seems to be every 3rd or 4th day while hunting & around every 15-20 shots while practicing.

The effective range on any bow is really determined by the shooter of course, but I limit myself to no more then 30 yards… this isn’t because the crossbow won’t kill any farther out, but because the crossbow is loud & you risk the deer “jumping the string” with the greater yardages. (FYI, a common myth is that the crossbow will shoot flat out to a 100 yards or more… it actuality the crossbow’s short bolt (arrow) actually shoots less flat then a regular bow’s longer arrow… lengthy to explain.)

With each manufacture’s crossbow purchased there will be some unique guidelines/recommendations given in its manual… follow those & you should be good to go.

Oh yeah, I shoot a TenPoint Stealth X-2, which was discontinued last year... I can post a picture of my bow later on tonight… don’t have one on this CPU…

*** EDITED to say that I found a picture... not a good one, but it's a picture... sorry, don't have any pictures of my bow without something dead in the background. :)

[​IMG]

4. noway

noway

{sorry, don't have any pictures of my bow without something dead in the background}

You have me rolling with laughter on that statement... btw nice deer.

5. BlackBelt

BlackBelt

Michigun,
    How exactly do I wax the string?
    Do I take the bow off of the stock to get the part of the string that's in the channel really good? And, how much is too much wax?
    Thanks!
    BlackBelt

6. Michigun

I know it's funny, but it's REALLY true though! ;f

Thanks for the compliment on my deer… that was taken a few seasons back now… would you believe that he’s only a 1-1/2 year old 8-point?

Here’s the 1-1/2 year old 8-point I took this year (took it with that same bow pictured above)… this is a more common 1-1/2 year old 8-point:

[​IMG]

Have you ever waxed a regular bow’s string? If so, it’s the exact same with the crossbow’s string.

Waxing a bow’s string is done to help preserve its individual strands from drying out, cracking & fraying… nothing special to it really…

Grab a string wax stick from any bow shop, local sporting good store, Wal-Mart, K-Mart or etc…. its just a solid chunk of wax incased in a outer plastic cylinder of some sorts. You push from the bottom to expose some wax at the top & just mark each quadrant on each of exposed sections of the string (no need to wax the string which are incased with serving) & then rub it into the string. All done!

Separating the limb assembly from the stock assembly can affect zero, so I only do this at the end of the hunting season when I “detail clean” my bow… I don’t worry about it while practicing throughout the off-season & during the next hunting season… never had a problem, but I like to replace all of my strings every 2 years, at least, anyways. (That's more for the speed thing though. ^c)

You can’t really wax too much as the string will only take so much in at a time… those wax sticks don’t pour out wax either.

I re-wax when I find that I can’t detect that “waxy feel” between my fingers after rubbing a figure down my strings.

FYI, like I said before… waxing the string is really only to help preserve (they’ll still do it eventually) the string from drying out, cracking & fraying… it really isn’t that big a deal as the worst that can happen is that you’ll need to replace a frayed string sooner. Keeping up on the lubing of your rail/barrel is more important then keeping up on the string waxing… I wax when I remember to for the most part. ;)

7. BlackBelt

BlackBelt

michigun,
    Thanks for the waxing info.
    I bought a Barret Quad 400 crossbow yesterday, waxed it up as you posted, and was IMPRESSED with the accuracy and power of a crossbow.
    Thanks again for the info.
    BlackBelt

8. Michigun

When ya get a chance to fire it through a chronograph I'm VERY interested to hear how it compares to the advertized 345 fps... that's FAST, especially with a 22" bolt & only 150 lbs of draw weight!

My bow is chronoing @ 298 fps with a 20” bolt, 125-grain tip & a draw weight of 185 lbs… I’m shooting the mid-weight bolt as well. I set her up for whitetails.

9. BlackBelt

BlackBelt

Michigun, I wish I had a chronograph to test that 345 fps claim with, but I don't. Maybe I need to get one of those next.
    What I did learn was that at 10, 15, and 20 yards, the 22" bolt goes all the way through the styrofoam BlackHole target up to the fletchings using field points. I don't know how much power that is, but my 60 lb. compound Alpine bow doesn't do that with the regular arrows.
    My Barnett came with a red-dot battery powered sight. There was a note in the box that said there was a shortage of 4x32 scopes, so they 'upgraded' to the red-dot sight. I just wish it had been a crossbow 3 dot sight as opposed to the firearm 'one red-dot' sight. Guess I'll have use some 'Kentucky windage'.

10. Michigun

I’ve only ever had 1 bolt (arrow) fail to pass completely through on the Michigan whitetails I’ve taken over the years… the only reason that 1 bolt didn’t pass through was because I hit him a little farther back then I wanted as I ended up hitting him in the front tip of the right shoulder blade… he was quartering towards me (I was on the ground) & I was going for in-between the right shoulder blade & to the left of the chest-plate. I was 2” off… the bolt still sunk to its fletching passing through the lower portion of the right lung, then passing dead center through the heart & then passing through the mid-section of the left lung with the broadhead’s tip coming to rest between 2 ribs on the left side. Distance was right at the 30-yard mark.

(I was VERY happy with this performance as that was a big chunk of shoulder that my broadhead (a 125-grain, 3-blade, mechanical, NAP Spitfire) had to bust off to keep traveling on its way!)

Here’s the picture… sorry for the quality as it was after the sun had went down & with a disposable camera:

(A little blood in this one.)

[​IMG]