close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Cross post - Trying to figure out why I fatigue so quickly and what can I do?

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by DistantTea, Dec 7, 2004.

1. DistantTea

DistantTea Monkey Vendor

I didn't have any responses in General Competition so I thought I'd post to the more popular GSSF forum. I'm trying to figure out why I fatigue so quickly when practicing and what can I do to build up strength (depending on what shooters fatigue really is) to stay consistant across more than a 100 rounds.

http://www.glocktalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=317130

2. hapuna

hapuna Trusted Member

Much of the time when I shoot in competition I find that what tires me is the adrenalin. Even though its fake there is a certain level there that is above normal and will take its toll over 7 or 8 stages. Oddly I don't find this as often with GSSF usually IDPA.
    If thats not the problem it sounds like you need some cardio training.:)

3. DistantTea

DistantTea Monkey Vendor

Thats the wierd part to me... I'm not tired on a physical level... that I can tell. And I can't really say I feel tired on a mental level. Its like shooting fatigue is this grey inbetween thing where I start shooting like crap after 100 rounds or so.

I just thought somebody might have some insight into why I'm a great shooter at start but suck after a box of WWB.

4. WIG19

WIG19 Light left on

Can't comment much without knowing the physical story, but I don't think there's anything wrong with wanting to bail after a 100-rd practice. It's the quality of the practice and what you're accomplishing. Some of my best practices were with some folks 2 hrs away where I shot a total of 53 rounds. Just shooting from the peanut gallery; when at home I find that if I take a few breaks and make the stints small (making a big meal into bite size pieces) my stamina is better. Also, I don't seem to tire as easily if I'm foregoing my own shooting to show something to the kids or run the timer for someone else. Try breaking the routine. Just $.02 worth. Pls report back if you find something out.
    :)

5. Fireglock

Fireglock Which is worse?

I'm 53, had surgery this past January with a solid 3 month "do nothing" recovery time on and on two consecutive Saturdays last month shot over 2000 rounds total. I can't say I was tired even then. In fact the 1st Saturday I shot, we rode back to DEJ's house and then I drove 7 hours (at a high rate of speed :)) to get home at 2:30 AM. I say that because I don't think it's natural for you to be tired after 100 rounds of practice.

Your age, physical health and attitude about your shooting can all be having an effect on your fatigue factor.

6. DaleGribble

DaleGribble Sandwich!

I agree with Fireglock. It isn't normal to be tired after going through 100 rounds.

How old are you, what is your fitness level, what is your attitude towards shooting?

I'm not in the best of shape, as a matter of fact I'm far from it. I could even be described as a cardiologists worst nightmare and I don't fatigue at the 500 round mark, but I do have an athletic background.

7. pangris

pangris Moderator

+1

8. DistantTea

DistantTea Monkey Vendor

Damn this is going to be embarassing then...

I'm 27, Network Administrator with the handsom adorable body of a wombat. I'm extremely diligent with my practice. Dry fire on the weekdays and live fire on the weekends.

But again I don't feel like the fatigue is physical, at least not on a bodily level...perhaps my hands are getting tired? I go out to shoot for 5 to 8 hours at a time sometimes. I've gone through 200 rounds of 7.62x39 then a hundred .22LR then a hundred 9mm then whip out the crossbow all on the same day with no issues. But I've also never tried to practice on a competitive level before. So while I can fire magazine after magazine from my our SLR-95 I never shoot that weapon with the commitment that I try to apply to my G34. And ever since I picked up my G34 and dedicated myself to being as proficient with it as possible I have not picked up another firearm since.

So when I go into my drills with the G34 and find that I'm cutting top quality paper for the first four magazines and swiss cheese after one hundred... I notice. Yeah if I was having fun I probably wouldn't notice, happily plinking away box after box. But its entirely an accuracy issue.

Hmm... maybe my trigger finger needs some strength training? Or perhaps my MTV generation brain needs some reconditioning so I can keep focused on something that serious for more than a couple hours.

I have a feeling this is just a training issue and I'm going to have to start taking two days a week just holding the gun up for an hour in my stance, squeezing the trigger repeatedly to strengthen that area... maybe while watching cartoons or something so that people think I'm completely off my rocker.

9. Fireglock

Tea, are you shooting at a single paper target, like maybe a bullseye? It sounds to me like you might be getting a little bored with your practice. Maybe your intensity is slipping a bit. If your intensity slips, so can your accuracy.

I'm shooting from the hip here, not saying your not into your shooting. :)

10. DistantTea

DistantTea Monkey Vendor

Yeah most of the time its a single target bullseye right now. I never fired a handgun before this year so I'm trying to do the best I can. Plus my range in the woods only lets me setup two or three targets at once. So I try to alternate single target bullseye and multiple target (unmarked) plate setups. On the plates I'm not worried about accuracy past 8" groups. Its the accuracy on the single target at 50 feet and 75 feet that I'm worried about.

My first events will be indoor GSSF stuff.

11. Rusty Phillips

Rusty Phillips Moderator Millennium Member

For me the biggest problem I have at a match is not the 120 to 140 seconds or the 100 or so rounds that I am shooting......

but the 120 to 240 minutes that I am standing around in the sun, dehydrating myself, stomach growling, nerves jitterring, back hurting cause I'm luggin around a 40 pound gun bag with three pistols and a couple hundred rounds of ammo, and worrying that someone I know might be watching me shoot and post a pic on glocktalk of my 5 yard five to glock target that only has 9 holes in it.

12. Don At PC

Don At PC Senior Member Millennium Member

;z ;z ;z ;z ;z ;z ;z ;z ;z ;z Now Rusty, who would do that. Although seeing a 5 to G 5 yard target with 9 holes would be interesting when it should only have 6. ;f ;f ;f ;c ;c

13. Fireglock

9 holes?

14. Don At PC

Don At PC Senior Member Millennium Member

Oh yes it sounds like "Gentleman Jack Time". ;z ;z ;z

15. DEJ/FL

DEJ/FL Millennium Member

;) ;f ;c

Dan:cool:

16. Rusty Phillips

well - I thought it was unusual too

I told the RO that I think the blast from the soooper doooper loads I was using must have knocked off some of the pasters from the previous shooters

17. Rusty Phillips

Citron, a couple ice cubes, and a lemon slice please.

18. Rusty Phillips

should also have added - and hung over from all the bar hopping with Don, Dan, and Jerry from the night before