Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking about this today after a range session with my G19. Is this even possible without having your head at a really weird angle?

·
Banned
466 Posts
I was thinking about this today after a range session with my G19. Is this even possible without having your head at a really weird angle?
Hickok 45 (Greg) is cross eye dominant and you would be lucky to shoot half as good as he can.:wavey:

·
Registered
10,101 Posts
yes!

just move the gun in front of the eye you use.

·
Registered
5,785 Posts
yes!

I'm left eye dominant and right handed so for handguns i do what the poster above suggested.Works fine,for rifles/shotguns i shoot lefty.

·
USS Texas BB-35
4,583 Posts
I was strongly cross dominant Left eye/ Right handed when I learned to shoot now I have a stronger right eye and switching to NON cross dominant is very un natural to me

·
Registered
478 Posts
I am left handed and right eye dominant.

I wasn't getting good groupings at 15' no matter what I did so I tried shooting right handed. My groupings improved 10 fold! While i'm still no amazing sharp shooter, all my rounds aren't one big hole, etc. I still find that it is much better then when I was shooting crossed up. I am much more consistant in the size of the groupings and aiming. I think with some classes I can only get better. Also switching hands wasn't as big a deal as I thought it would be.

Try shooting your weak hand next time and see how you do. You may be suprised.

·
Banned
466 Posts
I don't believe it is possible without closing/covering your dominant eye.
Greg and I do it with both eyes open, never had a problem, plus you can see the ejected shells leaving the chamber.:wavey:

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hickok 45 (Greg) is cross eye dominant and you would be lucky to shoot half as good as he can.:wavey:
He's an awesome shot, and I'd be happy to be one tenth the shot he is. Didn't know he was cross eye dominant.

Having said that, while I'm always looking to improve my shooting, I'm not bad with either hand. It was just a personal observation that when I shoot strong hand I'm not really lined up bore axis/hand/wrist/forearm like when I shoot weak hand since I'm not doing major shifts with my head.

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yes!

That's my point. By doing that the bore axis isn't lined up with the hand/wrist/forearm unless the head is at a really weird angle.

·
USS Texas BB-35
4,583 Posts
I shoot well both eyes open, just bring the gun up and allow your eyes to focus how they want to (e.g.) don't hold the pistol in front of your WEAK eye just because it belongs to your STRONG hand.

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I am left handed and right eye dominant.

I wasn't getting good groupings at 15' no matter what I did so I tried shooting right handed. My groupings improved 10 fold! While i'm still no amazing sharp shooter, all my rounds aren't one big hole, etc. I still find that it is much better then when I was shooting crossed up. I am much more consistant in the size of the groupings and aiming. I think with some classes I can only get better. Also switching hands wasn't as big a deal as I thought it would be.

Try shooting your weak hand next time and see how you do. You may be suprised.
Always done that ie shot with both hands from day one. Same applies to shooting one handed ie either hand. Squeezing a trigger is something either hand can do. It's natural draw from a holster where there's really a difference for me when it comes to strong hand/weak hand.

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I shoot well both eyes open, just bring the gun up and allow your eyes to focus how they want to (e.g.) don't hold the pistol in front of your WEAK eye just because it belongs to your STRONG hand.
You know, I'm doing that more often now.

·
Glock Sportsman
1,363 Posts
I am cross dominant, too. I am right handed with my left eye dominant. However, I am able to get a good focus if I leave both eyes open. I guess it was from watching through binoculars/video cameras and trying to keep everything in focus. Anyway, when sitting, I practice focussing with my dominant eye and slightly closing the non dominant eye, then I open and close it to see if the image stays the same. My trouble at the range is shooting a little low at times.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts