Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the market for a Cross Bed Tool Box for my 2006 Ford F150 XLT 4X4 with a supercrew cab, and a short bed (truck color is black). I'm looking for good quality at a reasonable price (around $300.00). Any advice would be appreciated.

·
RTF2 Addict
5,433 Posts
I prefer the single lid design. All the double lids we had would leak after 4-5 years. Maybe they are made better now though. Also skip the painted steel boxes and go aluminum if you are in snow country.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I prefer the single lid design. All the double lids we had would leak after 4-5 years. Maybe they are made better now though. Also skip the painted steel boxes and go aluminum if you are in snow country.
Roger on the single lid and Aluminum. Thanks!

·
Get off my lawn
42,701 Posts
At post #2, I'm going to suggest a different route altogether.

BAK flip design with the BAK box. Full fiber cover with fold up box inside. Holds a lot and doesn't leak. Also makes your whole bed secure and can be folded out of the way. It'll run you over a grand in total though. :(

·
Registered
21,064 Posts
Don't put spare auto batteries in your metal lidded truck bed box.

/

·
RTF2 Addict
5,433 Posts

·
Registered
1,201 Posts

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Have you thought about a bed cover? Found that to be way more usefull than toolbox. I had an Undercover brand. It was light (50 ish lbs), and was easy to take on and off.

·
hhhhhhhhmmmmmmm
1,447 Posts
Spend the extra money for a UWS or weather guard. I have a 300 tractor supply box and it's not that great as a contractor. If you are interested in a used one send me a pm.

·
Registered
21,064 Posts
Have you thought about a bed cover? Found that to be way more usefull than toolbox. I had an Undercover brand. It was light (50 ish lbs), and was easy to take on and off.

I have the 'Undercover' brand cover on my Sport Trac. Some of the best money I ever spent.

/

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks guys! Some really good information. I'll check it out. I'm not familiar with the UWS brand but it sounds promising.

·
^%(#@$^!!!!!!!
4,507 Posts
Thanks guys! Some really good information. I'll check it out. I'm not familiar with the UWS brand but it sounds promising.
It is the best in that price range. I work in oilfield sales and drive 50K+ miles per year on the roughest roads. All I had to do was turn two nuts to adjust the lid to a little tighter fit(a little dust was getting in) and, I have been a happy camper.

·
Premium Member
26,613 Posts
I went super cheap. And have been really happy with it. A Wally world black synthetic thing. IIRC it had "Conco" (or something similar) on side. That has been the weak spot. The label fell off. Its been on two pickups, I climb ontop of it often to use bonocs. (so it takes couple hundred pounds moving around with no issues)
My wife finally broke one of the locks. I had removed it, was going to put it back in pickup. So its sitting on tail gate. Wife decides to move it around and dumps it on cement upside down. One side lock broken. So I put two screws with cordless drill. With correct driver its seconds to remove. (seldom do) I have two other cross box here. Alum. They sit on pile. One is single lid. The black "plastic" one is one that gets used. If truck got totaled (box destroyed) I would go to WW and see if they still sell them. (had to be 20 yrs ago)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts