Crooked leg - whom should I call?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Dennis in MA, Aug 14, 2015.

1. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA Get off my lawn

Back story: About 15 years ago, I pulled out my back. At my wife's insisting, I went to a chiro where we used to live. During the intake, the chiro noticed my left foot was facing outward and my right foot faced up while laying down.

"Hmmmm. That might have caused it."

After about 3 sessions, the foot was straight. To the point where a spot on my left Quad was sore because it hadn't been used in so long.

Last spring (2014), I tweaked my hip on the right side. Then I pushed too hard on some home projects and made it worse. It took me 2 months for the pain to spread from my lower butt to upper butt to my lower back. Then it went away.

But my RIGHT foot was crooked.

On and off, the right hip has bothered me for a year. Until I started exercising a couple of months ago. Felt GREAT. But still a crooked foot/leg.

On Wednesday, I was getting dressed and my lower back spasmed. I DROPPED TO THE FLOOR. I've had muscles spasm before but HOLY BLEEP!

It's better today. But when it's strongest, the muscle pain is in my butt just above my right hip.

Soooooo. . . . . . I should have this hip thing looked at. At the very least, it'll get me balanced again. I can't imagine this is doing good long-term things for my back in general.

Now, the question:

Who would you go see?

Chiropractor?
    Ortho?
    PT people? (We have good PT people that know their stuff. But I'd probably have to start with the Ortho anyhow.)

I hate doctors. And I don't know a good Chiro in the area or I'd just go there. Everyone I know that has gone has gone for the wrong reasons. . . from "it centers me" to "I can't go on if I'm not sublaxated"

Not looking for advice, per se. Looking for whom to call.

Thx.

2. Koba

Koba

I would do ortho, you never know if an adjustment might cause more issues than it helps. Can always follow with the chiro

3. dryfly

dryfly Platinum Member

4. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

You have some serious skeletal issues. Why would you not want to see a real doctor like an orthopedic surgeon?

A physical therapist can probably help you if he or she knows what's wrong with you but a PT won't know what's wrong with you and might give you wrong treatments that may exacerbate your condition.

Go to the ortho and let they figure out what's wrong with you and what the best treatment is. They might prescribe physical therapy but they will tell the PT what's truly wrong with you do that the PT would know which exercises to administer.

5. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

My back was hurting for a year. Instead of going to a real doctor I went to a couple of those quacks.

None of their treatments did squat for my pain. Then I went to an ortho and found out that I got a herniated disc at C6-C7. Had I gone to the ortho a year earlier it may have just been a bulged disc instead of a herniated disc like it is now. He prescribed anti inflammatory medication and physical therapy. Four months later the pain is gone but my left index finger is half permanently numbed.

cmosu likes this.
  6. nursetim

nursetim

7. G30SF/F-250

G30SF/F-250 Pinky Out Platinum Member

PA to LA to NY to FL to IL to VA to GA to OH to FL
    I was going to recommend witch doctor.........

Joshhtn likes this.
  8. TX OMFS

TX OMFS Right wing nut Lifetime Member

Ortho. I don't think the hip/foot alignment is the cause of back pain. If you need spine surgery I would consider a neurosurgeon. Let the MD send you to a PT PRN.

Chiropractic only once you talk to an MD and as a way to temporarily postpone surgery.

Buki192327, nursetim and Koba like this.
  9. Dennis in MA

Oh I don't think they are directly related in terms of a bad back injury caused by some sort of hip socket thing. And I'm not usually a fan of Chiros. I think they do very little. But damn if my leg didn't straighten out last time.

I think that with the hip is aligned, it puts undo pressure on my right side lower back. That and it looks funny. Lol. Just trying to minimize injury.

Ortho it is!

10. TX OMFS

TX OMFS Right wing nut Lifetime Member

I would ask your doctor, client docs, or docs you know who they recommend. Internet reviews are not a great source. Anesthesiologists see lots of guys operate and may have unique insight. Primary care guys see the long term results.

nursetim likes this.
  11. Bruce M

Bruce M

Here I would probably have to go to a bodega and ask at where I could find some local santeria operation. If I was there, to me the answer would be rather quite simple.

http://www.brighamandwomens.org/Departments_and_Services/excellence/ortho.aspx

And since I pretty much despise driving in Boston, I would probably go to the office at 20 Patriots Way or Circle or whatever it is. Or maybe I would try Weymouth. But I would bet that for neurology and orthopedics Foxborough would probably be better.

http://www.brighamandwomens.org/about_bwh/locations/foxborough/directions.aspx

And best of luck. And regardless of where you choose I would opt for the real physician as opposed to the chiropractor. No offense to any chiropractors.

12. Dennis in MA

My daughters have had some serious ortho issues. So WHO ago go to isn't a problem. Ditto for PT.

I'm not driving to Boston or Weymouth or Foxboro. Maybe E Prov if my primary wants me to see his guy. But my primary has good guys, too.

13. GVIFlyer

GVIFlyer Senior Member

If your primary care physician is a *doctor of osteopathy, I would first go to him/her to screen you. If not, go to a orthopedic surgeon, but remember that those guys are only having fun when they're cutting. Tell him that you are a surgical nihilist and would first prefer to proceed through a stepped non-surgical RX.

*competent (ETA after reading fnfalman's response)

Last edited: Aug 15, 2015
  14. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

My primary care doctor was a doctor of osteopathy. She had my back x rayed and said she saw nothing wrong and recommended massage.

Just because you're seeing an orthopedic surgeon it doesn't mean that they want to cut you as the first resort.

15. Ordell Robbie

Ordell Robbie Giant Member

I'd go to the chiropractor first. If that doesn't work then go to the ortho.

16. uhlawpup

uhlawpup l'Italia s'è desta

Don't go to the chiro first. Go straight to the ortho. If there is real damage, the ortho can fix it.