Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
NRA4EVR
11,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Did ya'll hear the one about the crossfitter with the 18" arms?

Just kidding, no such thing.:wavey:

·
Registered
11,011 Posts
Yeah, look at these pantywaists...

Also, let me know when you surpass the lifts of a weak Crossfitter like Sam Dancer:

Height:5'11"
Weight:215 lb

Clean & Jerk: 365lb
Snatch: 305lb
Deadlift: 650lb
Back Squat: 580lb

·
Registered
10,972 Posts
Hooligan74, we were just messing around. We both know there are some strong CFers, as other-than-strength athletes go anyway.

I like every CFer I've met, and respect them as athletes. I just can't stand the higher-ups. They seem like a bunch of jerks, and I wouldn't want to be associated with them.

·
Registered
10,972 Posts
As an aside, it's not very persuasive, toward the presumed goal of showing that CFers are strong, to use an elite CFer as the example. My own squat and DL PRs are similar when normalized to bodyweight, and I was nowhere near an elite PLer, and was drug-free.

The following shows the WRs (I assume your CFer example is near the top for CFers) at various weight classes. You have to go down to low weight classes to find raw squats and DLs as low as the 215 lb CFer's.

http://www.powerliftingwatch.com/records/raw/world

·
Registered
11,011 Posts
Hooligan74, we were just messing around. We both know there are some strong CFers, as other-than-strength athletes go anyway.

I like every CFer I've met, and respect them as athletes. I just can't stand the higher-ups. They seem like a bunch of jerks, and I wouldn't want to be associated with them.
Yeah, I know. I just fail to see the point in hating on any strength/athletic discipline. Bodybuilding ain't my gig, but I recognize/respect the work and dedication it takes to be even marginally competitive at the local level. Same goes for power lifters or strongmen.

Yes, Greg Glassman is a toolbox. I don't know of most of the other "higher ups". The fiancé of the guy who owns the gym I go to here in STL went to the games last year, and now works for Crossfit One in Boston - i.e. is a Reebok/Crossfit employee, and she's a fantastic person.

·
Registered
11,011 Posts
As an aside, it's not very persuasive, toward the presumed goal of showing that CFers are strong, to use an elite CFer as the example. My own squat and DL PRs are similar when normalized to bodyweight, and I was nowhere near an elite PLer, and was drug-free.

The following shows the WRs (I assume your CFer example is near the top for CFers) at various weight classes. You have to go down to low weight classes to find raw squats and DLs as low as the 215 lb CFer's.

http://www.powerliftingwatch.com/records/raw/world
Sam Dancer is one of the stronger CF athletes, yes. He is not terribly competitive at the national level as an individual, though.

I'd like to see some of those WR-holding power lifters do a workout like:

For time:
Row 3,000 meters
300 double-unders
Run 3 miles

and see how they stack up against the Games atheletes. Horses for courses, right?

The owner of the gym I go to at home failed to even qualify for regionals last year (i.e. no where near "elite"). His lifts look like:

Snatch: 260lb+

Clean and Jerk: 325lb+

Front squat: 415lb+

Back squat: 525lb+

Deadlift: 500lb+

Height: 5'10"

Weight: 190lb

Attachments

·
Registered
10,972 Posts
Yes, Greg Glassman is a toolbox. I don't know of most of the other "higher ups". ...
I was referring primarily to Glassman and Castro. There are some funny stories about their behavior. Look at how they've interacted with Rippetoe, Wolf, and Everett.

I don't know the others' names, but I've seen lots of their videos with guys at white-boards and in either all, or just about all of them, the guy sounds like a total jerk. Voice tone, cursing, putting others down, etc. I thought at one point that they must have a "how to sound like a jerk" short course for folks speaking for CF.

That being typed, I have yet to interact negatively with a regular CFer. Except when I poked one like in this thread, but that was my fault. LOL.

·
Registered
11,011 Posts
I was referring primarily to Glassman and Castro. There are some funny stories about their behavior. Look at how they've interacted with Rippetoe, Wolf, and Everett.
Agreed. I like to give Castro the benefit of the doubt and assume that he's just "toeing the company line" or following Glassman's lead, but I'm probably being too generous.

I don't know the others' names, but I've seen lots of their videos with guys at white-boards and in either all, or just about all of them, the guy sounds like a total jerk. Voice tone, cursing, putting others down, etc. I thought at one point that they must have a "how to sound like a jerk" short course for folks speaking for CF.
I tend not to watch any videos not put out by a coach I know I like. I'll watch Rippetoe, Pendlay and Wendler vids all day.

That being typed, I have yet to interact negatively with a regular CFer. Except when I poked one like in this thread, but that was my fault. LOL.
Aw, I think are exchange here has been "spirited", but not negative. :embarassed:

I've met several a-hole CFers, but I've likely been around more than you? You find jerks in every bunch, though.

Just to show we've got some common ground, I'll post this vid for your viewing pleasure:

[ame]http://youtu.be/K-JeQ-TMZlo[/ame]

:wavey:

·
Registered
11,011 Posts
You're correct, and I apologize.
No need to apologize, Brad. I certainly have gotten the impression from our interactions here that you're a good guy. This thread doesn't change that, it's very tame in the grand scheme of negative stuff I see posted on the internet about CF or anything else.

Believe me, I get that there are myriad examples of people and events that rightly give a bad impression of CF.

I've just met so many good people at the gyms I've visited (staff and patrons) that I feel compelled to try to point out that the vast majority of the CF community is good.

I appreciate the apology, but it certainly is not warranted, my friend.

:hugs: :cheers:

·
Registered
11,011 Posts
I expect Castro is the really brains/brawn behind the operation.

"...Beginning his CrossFit career as an intern in the original Santa Cruz gym in California while working as a Navy SEAL in Monterey, he’s now co-director of training and the Games director for CrossFit..."

http://www.theboxmag.com/community/dave-castro-crossfits-games-maker/

CrossFit isn't his brainchild, but from everything I've read he was definitely one of, if not THE driving force behind creating the Games. He was almost certainly integral in the sale/partnership/whatever with Reebok, too.

·
Registered
10,972 Posts
I appreciate the apology, but it certainly is not warranted, my friend.

:hugs: :cheers:
No problem. Have a good day!

BTW, the 1100 squat video is pretty wild. I was wondering if he'd have trouble getting that hawk past the bar. I can't imagine what it feels like to support 1100 lb. I've lifted 550 @ 180 in the gym (probably just a tad high by 1990 competition standards, which were way down there) and it felt heavy enough to flatten me. His is twice as much, but I guess he's at least twice as strong. LOL

·
NRA4EVR
11,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah, look at these pantywaists...

Also, let me know when you surpass the lifts of a weak Crossfitter like Sam Dancer:

Height:5'11"
Weight:215 lb

Clean & Jerk: 365lb
Snatch: 305lb
Deadlift: 650lb
Back Squat: 580lb
I never really trained the oly lifts with any serious effort. I surpassed his SQ and DL over 10 years ago.

·
Registered
11,011 Posts
Competitive power lifter?

·
NRA4EVR
11,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Used to be. Blew out a hamstring, and was burned out, anyway. It was a good time to quit training for competition and move to just being fit, along with staying fairly big and strong.

·
Registered
11,011 Posts
I would say "fairly big and strong" is an understatement if you're pulling and squatting 600lbs+, my friend.

·
NRA4EVR
11,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
What I meant was that I'm now staying just "fairly big and strong" after quitting PL. I can't lift anywhere near what I usedtacould. I pretty much never do fewer than six reps per set, and shoot for 10. Squats are almost completely out, thanks to a string of knee injuries at work. My max bench? No idea, but I can do hella pushups and my joints don't hurt all the time.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts