Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First let me state a little history and my goals so you can properly comment. I'm a little under 6 feet and am 165 lbs. Two years ago I was 135 lbs but have worked my way up to 165 lbs by better diet and by working out but by winging it in regards to using routines. Only in the past 6 months I've been working out with a routine that someone gave me. On and off I've been working out due to injuries but I've been pretty steady the last 3 months.

Current routine:

Tuesday night
Benchpress (flat bench barbell) - warmup set plus 5 sets of 5
Military press (standing using barbell) - 5 sets of 5
Dips (not weighted) - 5 sets of as many as I can do
Dumbbell Curls (various like hammers, 21's, etc) - 5 sets of 5-7 reps
Tricep pulldowns - 5 sets of 5-7 reps

Wednesday night
Barbell squats* - warmup set plus 5 sets of 5
* - I've only recently started doing squats, yes I know I was cheating myself I know. :embarassed:
Lat pulldowns - 4 sets of 5-7 reps
Cable rows - 4 sets of 5-7 reps
Upright rows (barbell) - 4 sets of 5-7 reps
Arnold presses - 4 sets of 5-7 reps

Saturday afternoon
Same workout as Tuesday night listed above

Sunday afternoon
Same workout as Wednesday night listed above

Any constructive advice is appreciated. I KNOW I have to concentrate on legs more and that should yeild some nice overall gains but I'd like some opinions on my routine in general. Plus I've been toying with the idea of of doing some sort of 1 muscle a day routine.

Thanks! :wavey:

·
hates you
32,672 Posts
One muscle a day is stupid. Train movements, not muscles.

Also: why aren't you deadlifting?

·
hates you
32,672 Posts
You actually have a lot of overlap in your program and I'd caution you to look very hard for signs of overuse injuries doing things this way (I should know, as I have a wicked case of tendinosis in my right triceps).

One option is to build each day of your four day program around one main lift and a few assistance exercises for it. I've really had some good luck doing this with 5/3/1.

Example:

Tuesday
Bench Press (5x5)
Close-grip bench press (5x10)
Dips to failure

Wednesday
Squat 5x5
Good mornings
Squat 5x10

Saturday
Standing press (5x5)
Shrugs
Standing press (5x10)

Sunday
Deadlift
Kroc rows
pullups to failure

Another option is a-teamer's routine. It's pretty great stuff.

·
Registered
5,264 Posts
On your current routine, I think you are doing too many sets on the isolation exercises.

Eye is rigfht, training a muscle a day is silly. There are a crap load of different muscles and not that many days. Although, psoas day would be cool.

What kind of programming are you using?

·
hates you
32,672 Posts
Also, if you're 165lbs you really need to be eating about twice whatever you are right now. GOMAD, boy. Learn it, live it, love it.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Also, if you're 165lbs you really need to be eating about twice whatever you are right now. GOMAD, boy. Learn it, live it, love it.
I actually started GOMAD about 2 weeks ago. I shouldn't say that, its more of a 3/4 GOMAD (making it a TQOMAD I guess).

A big problem of mine has been lack of rest/sleep. I typically get about 6 hours a night.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
One option is to build each day of your four day program around one main lift and a few assistance exercises for it. I've really had some good luck doing this with 5/3/1.

Example:

Tuesday
Bench Press (5x5)
Close-grip bench press (5x10)
Dips to failure

Wednesday
Squat 5x5
Good mornings
Squat 5x10

Saturday
Standing press (5x5)
Shrugs
Standing press (5x10)

Sunday
Deadlift
Kroc rows
pullups to failure
Excellent, this looks like a great routine. Thanks for sharing. I'll give this a try starting Saturday.

·
hates you
32,672 Posts
I actually started GOMAD about 2 weeks ago. I shouldn't say that, its more of a 3/4 GOMAD (making it a TQOMAD I guess).

A big problem of mine has been lack of rest/sleep. I typically get about 6 hours a night.
I know what you mean. I don't sleep worth a damn and haven't for years. I'm tired all the time and have actually had to bail out of workouts because I couldn't concentrate on what I was doing.

Excellent, this looks like a great routine. Thanks for sharing. I'll give this a try starting Saturday.
No problem. See how it goes and adjust to your needs. The only wrong way is the one that doesn't get you stronger or gets you hurt.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
On your current routine, I think you are doing too many sets on the isolation exercises.

Eye is rigfht, training a muscle a day is silly. There are a crap load of different muscles and not that many days. Although, psoas day would be cool.

What kind of programming are you using?
I'll admit I had to look up the word "psoas". :faint:

In regards to what program I'm using........it was just a routine a personal trainer gave me. He actually suggested the smolov routine but like a jackass I didn't do it but he said to just do those exercises with high weight and low reps. I took it and ran with it.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Check out "my program" as well, similar to what eyescream posted.

I do Push, Pull, rest, Legs, Arms, rest or strongman workout, rest or swim.

I would recommend Starting Strength, or 5/3/1, or my routine, or eyescream's

FOOOOOOOD, Rest, and Intense work ethic.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Critique mine as well:

Mondays: Chest and Triceps
Flat 1 set 12, 2 sets 8, 2 sets 6, 1 set 3 (BB)
Incline 3 sets of 10 (DBs)
Pullovers 3 sets of 8
Decline 3 sets of 8
DB Press 3 sets of 10
Skullcrushers 4 sets of 6
Pulldown 3 sets of 10
Kickbacks 3 sets of 8

Wednesday: Back and Biceps
Deadlifts 1 set 10, 3 sets 6, 3 sets 3, 2 sets 1
Bent over row 3 sets 8
Seated row 3 sets 8
Good mornings 3 sets 8
Standing supinated curl 3 sets 8 DB
Preacher curl 3 sets 8
Standing supported EZ curls 4 sets 6
Hammer Curls 4 sets 8

Friday: Shoulders and Legs
Squats 1 set 10, 3 sets 6, 3 sets 3, 2 sets 1
Leg curls 3 sets 8
DB Lunge 3 sets 8
Hack Squats 3 sets 8
Seated Military Press DB 3 sets 8
Standing upright row 3 sets 8
Lateral raise DB 3 sets 8
Pullups 3 sets to failure

I mix in cardio and heavy bag on off days and sometimes will swim on the wknds.

What do you think?

·
Registered
5,264 Posts
What do you think?
The best thing I can say is that it makes no sense to me.

Why are you training bodyparts?

If you must train bodyparts, why pulldowns on chest and tri day?

Why so many sets of so many kinds of curls? Curls are silly, but if you must do them, work hard so you can get it taken care of in one or two sets of only one exercise.

Paul Kelso once wrote, twenty sets per body, not body part.

With all the exercises you are doing, do you really need so much isolation work?

Why ten reps per set incline bench and eight in decline? For that matter, why decline at all?

Why so many sets of arm exercises and no gut work?

I do not get this workout at all. What are your goals?

·
Registered
629 Posts
The best thing I can say is that it makes no sense to me.

Why are you training bodyparts?

If you must train bodyparts, why pulldowns on chest and tri day?

Why so many sets of so many kinds of curls? Curls are silly, but if you must do them, work hard so you can get it taken care of in one or two sets of only one exercise.

Paul Kelso once wrote, twenty sets per body, not body part.

With all the exercises you are doing, do you really need so much isolation work?

Why ten reps per set incline bench and eight in decline? For that matter, why decline at all?

Why so many sets of arm exercises and no gut work?

I do not get this workout at all. What are your goals?
hmm interesting, I can see why you'd say that. And honestly, I can't answer why it is all over the place. All I do know, is that it has worked for me. I have been doing this workout for a while and seen results that I am happy with. I don't proclaim to be any kind of body builder - as I said, it just works for me. Goals? I would say I am where I need to be, I feel I am pretty strong and in good shape. As far as gut work, I have never really had to do any. Thanks for the honest critique!

·
Registered
629 Posts
If you are where you want to be, there is no need for any of us to critique. Congrats on finding something that works for you.
You are right, but its always good to explore other ways of doing things. Maybe trying something else would give me better results than this workout. I am pretty open minded about trying new routines, I have just never really explored it. Plus, when you are in the gym doing your "routine", that's it - it's routine. After looking at it on paper, maybe it is time to try something a little less complicated. I am interested in your twenty sets per body quote. Where can I read more about this?

·
Registered
5,264 Posts
The quote came from "power lifting basics, Texas style" by Paul Kelso. It covers more than power lifting and is a fairly entertaining read, at least as far as lifting goes. If you are interested in the concept I also recommend; "Dinosaur Training" by Brooks Kubick, "Starting Strength" by mark Rippetoe, and "5-3-1" by Jim Wendler.

If you read any of them, let me know what you think.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts