Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have the giraud case annealer.
I have 750 tempilaq and 800 tempilaq.
I "calibrated" such that the 750 changes all the down the inside of the neck. The 800 does not really change much. A little bit by the neck opening but I attribute this to the flame bending around the edge. After I annealed, the cases have very little color distortion, some but not much.

I have a redding resizer and after annealing, I get these scratches on the neck. I am very confident I did not over anneal. What causes this? The same die has resized MANY cases not annealed without a scratch. Does the die have a poor finish, dirty inside?

·
Registered
36,589 Posts
I would consider polishing the die. Annealing does make the cases softer but you should not get scratches.

·
Malcontent
11,682 Posts
Are they actual scatches, or maybe just galling causing some polish lines on the brass?

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
its not orange.
Stays blue the whole time.
I have calibrated this thing to no end with 750 and 800 tempilak.
750 turns, 800 does not.

I'm gonna get some rubbing compound and polish it somehow.
That neck portion is way up in the die.

If anything, it will be clean.
Still at a loss for the cause though.

·
Decap Pin Killa
18,083 Posts
It's tough to tell, but I doesn't appear that brass has been annealed at all. :dunno: At the end of jmorris' second video, the piece of brass he picks out is how you want them to look.

The scratches are from your die.

·
Registered
27,989 Posts
What does your flame color look like?

You don't want it to change from blue to orange. Like this, you have gone too far at this point.
http://s121.photobucket.com/user/jmorrismetal/media/annealer.mp4.html

This is what you want it to look like. Blue flame, good color and cool enough to hold right after annealing.
http://s121.photobucket.com/user/jmorrismetal/media/annealer/nottoohot.mp4.html
:rofl:

I love your inventiveness, but a lot of times I think you need another hobby! ;)

Very well done.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That's not my photo.
Its one from arfcom.
My brass has the same scratches/galling however mine do have some discoloration after annealing unlike those shown in the pic.

I can't get my camera to take a good pic so I stole the one above from arfcom.

·
Registered
3,447 Posts
I love your inventiveness, but a lot of times I think you need another hobby! /QUOTE]

I've spent most of my time and money on beer, women and racecars, reloading and shooting is a lot cheaper and not as dangerous.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
I have been cautioned to not try and get a certain color from annealing. The color comes from oxidation of whatever is on the case. If you wet clean your cases, they can be very clean and show very little discoloration at 750 degrees F. Rather, hit 750 and then stop with the heat. That's what I did. This comes from the Giraud, not me.

The cases in the photo above were not anneal according to the person who took the pic. However, I am getting the same appearance on the necks only after annealing my cases. Author of the pic above on arfcom claims his die does that to all cases and he does not anneal.

In my case, non-annealed cases look normal thru the same die.
I anneal it, I get the lines.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts