Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Reloading using Lee single stage press and mostly Lee dies.

I use same brand of shell in each reloading session.

Wash if pickups.

1st die to remove primers and size shells.

Wash shells and dry.

Lube shells.

2nd die for expanding and priming. I use the NOE Bullet M expanders in a Lee die. I had to make spacers for correct depth setting. I expand on the down stroke and prime on the up.

3rd die to charge shells. Since the shells have been expanded, I set the depth of the Powder Through Expanding Die expander to just touch the mouth of the shell just to keep the powder from spilling but not expand on the down stroke.

I have made my own version of the Powder Through Die setup. I removed the top connector of the die and screwed an Auto-Disk Riser into the Powder Through Expanding Die, then I screw the Perfect Powder Measure into the Riser. It's a little wobbly so I added a second opposing handle. With the two handles I can tighten the drum on the powder measure more. The result is little to no spilled powder.

Now I wish they would make a thinner metering chamber rather than one that can load over 100 grains.

4th die is to seat the bullet. No crimping. Set the die to seat the bullet without removing the flare introduced by the 2nd die with the Noe M insert.

5th die is the factory crimp die. It is to remove the flare from the M die and make a straight shell. Hold two cartridges next to each other to see that the shells are straight and the flare is removed. No crimp, just a straight tapered shell, if all your setting are right. I don't use a 9 x 18 Makarov die. The 9x18 may squeeze the Luger shell to .390 where the Luger should be .391. This may weaken the shell.

I use the formula of bullet diameter plus shell thickness at mouth times two, minus .001 to .002. I pushed down on the bullet with 25 pounds pressure and had no setback.

Any suggestions? Questions?
Product Auto part Automotive engine part Metal Household hardware

·
DFC, MSM, 12 Air Medals.
10,194 Posts
Why are you lubing after already sizing. I would prime off press. I would also get a Lee Auto Drum powder measure.

Reactions: orangejeep06

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would have to lube the pickups twice. They are pickups from an outdoor range and dirty. I could lube them before resizing and removing the primers, but after the primers are removed, I wash the shells again to clean out the primer holes. Then I would lube again. So, not lubing before resizing is just to save a step.
I don't know enough about the Lee Auto-Dist Powder Measure to see how I would use it.
I'll have to look for a store that has one so I can see how it would work out for me.

·
DFC, MSM, 12 Air Medals.
10,194 Posts
You still have me lost.
You are sizing dirty brass. Wash the brass and then size again. The second time you don’t need lube they are already sized. Or you could use a universal decapping die clean the brass lube the brass then size.
The Auto drum you put your sized primed case into the shell holder raise the ram. Lower the ram and put the charged case into your loading block. Pickup another case put in the shell holder raise the ram your right hand never needs to come off the handle and no manually turning any cranks. Also no need for a riser.

·
Rider13
73 Posts
From your post, it appears that you are sizing/de-capping your brass without lube. If that is accurate, then you must be using a carbide sizing die or you have been lucky not to have had a stuck shell. If you do have a carbide die, then lube is not needed for any of the reloading steps. If you do not have a carbide die, then you should consider lubing before sizing, as a stuck shell is very inconvenient.

·
DFC, MSM, 12 Air Medals.
10,194 Posts
Forgot you are using the noe so the Auto drum will not work for you. Would be nice if Noe make a pass through powder M style.

·
DFC, MSM, 12 Air Medals.
10,194 Posts
I’d say if you are happy with the process and results, you are doing great!
I would say since he is asking to be critiqued on how he does it. he is not happy or is looking for a possibility of a better way. Does not hurt to ask.

·
Registered
3,478 Posts
Oh, if that is the case I wouldn’t load 9mm on a single stage, I would rather spend the time sorting my scab collection, after I started one by having someone drag me behind a truck. 5 passes for 9mm on a SS and you could add the truck driving over me.

Needs and wants are different though. I can’t say any method is “wrong” as log as the person is happy.

I guess I have no suggestions if there are no questions. I can tell you how to make ammunition faster and with less effort but if that’s not a goal, it would be useless information.

·
DFC, MSM, 12 Air Medals.
10,194 Posts
I have done it because a SS was all there was at the time other than a Star and I sure could not afford one of those at the time and turret heads just about the same as a SS.

·
Registered
3,478 Posts
Sure, I can’t say I have never SS loaded 9mm and if one doesn’t want or can’t afford something better, there is nothing wrong with that. Thus #7.

Pretty simple though, can’t fix what’s not broken. I could call the OP a genius or idiot (wouldn’t do that) but only with more information.

·
Crusty Member
10,955 Posts
First step should be cleaning the brass. This can be "washing", dry tumbling, wet tumbling, ultrasonic cleaner, whatever works for you.

Second step, should be lube (if you want to lube...I recommend it, it makes sizing much easier).

Then size/decap, prime, flare, charge, seat, crimp.

Like jmorris, I can't imagine doing this on a single stage for pistol ammo. It's just too time consuming. Maybe if you were retired and simply couldn't find anything else to do to pass the time. Get some kind of progressive press if you want to load pistol ammo.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I use a single stage Lee press.
I wash the shells I pick up of sand and grass. When dry I use the first die, which is a Lee Contour Ground Carbide Sizing Die, whatever that means. Then with the primers removed, I wash the shells with an Ultrasonic cleaner to get the dirt in the shell and in the primer pocket too. Then I spend hours finding out all I can about lubes and make up a DIY lube. I may not need it, but it feels good.
I'm always looking for more information and ways to do things. I would guess that I'm Obsessive/Compulsive, and I enjoy it.
I have 49 pages of abbreviations. All I could find for SS was stainless steel. For STAR, I figured it was a brand and found they make progressive reloaders.
I'm over 80, retired, with lots of time and not a lot of room. I like that the single stage press because it takes time and because I am involved with every cartridge I make.
I like to learn as much as I can. When you question me, I learn.
Thanks

·
Banned
142 Posts
I wash the shells I pick up of sand and grass. When dry I use the first die, which is a Lee Contour Ground Carbide Sizing Die, whatever that means. Then with the primers removed, I wash the shells with an Ultrasonic cleaner to get the dirt in the shell and in the primer pocket too. Then I spend hours finding out all I can about lubes and make up a DIY lube. I may not need it, but it feels good.
I'm always looking for more information and ways to do things. I would guess that I'm Obsessive/Compulsive, and I enjoy it.
I have 49 pages of abbreviations. All I could find for SS was stainless steel. For STAR, I figured it was a brand and found they make progressive reloaders.
I'm over 80, retired, with lots of time and not a lot of room. I like that the single stage press because it takes time and because I am involved with every cartridge I make.
Thanks
I think its great that you enjoy the process!

And it seems like you have the details ironed out. The only insight i would offer is that if you enjoy spending your time shooting more than loading, buy a new press.

Something like a Lee Turret is very inexpensive, produces consistent result, and is much more efficient than a single stage.

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
On my single stage loading exclusively 9mm, I’ve burned through 4 pounds of VV N320, 1 pound of TiteGroup, and 1 pound of Sport Pistol...all at 4 grains a pop. The key is to do big batches of each stage, and it has to be something you enjoy. Zen and the art of reloading. I wouldn’t describe it like being dragged behind a truck, but it is probably time I set up the old used Square Deal B I have collecting dust. That’ll be a new learning process for me.

If you’re super frugal like me and want to make really good use of monotonous time, get into making your own boolits

·
Registered
18,793 Posts
Thanks

Not 100% I understand each step you are taking precisely, but the second cleaning and second lube is not required.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.