close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Crimson trace light guard

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by .50 cal, Aug 7, 2012.

1. .50 cal

.50 cal

Anyone have one of these for their blaster? How do you like it? I like how it appears not to add any width to the pistol

Last edited: Aug 8, 2012
  2. Never Nervous

Never Nervous

Wanna try again?:dunno:

NN

3. SouthpawG26

SouthpawG26

I think he meant "add"...

4. .50 cal

.50 cal

5. SouthpawG26

SouthpawG26

Ok, I'll guess I'll go first. Bear with me, this is not a short and easy post.

The advantages of a laser are usually touted as follows:
    1-green laser vs red laser: daylight visibility.
    1b:-they are a great training tool for beginners to learn and diagnose trigger control.

2- Ability to accomplish none line of sight shots.

3-aimed shots from retention

4-moving targets

5-enhanced overall speed and accuracy over iron sights in general.

Let's go through this point by point:

A little disclaimer first: if your eyesight is so bad or deteriorated that you just can't get a decent sight picture with iron sights, go out and buy a laser now. Run out, in fact. For all others, proceed, if you will.

1: yes, absolutely true. Green lasers are way easier to spot, day or night, even on bright sunlight.

1b: yes, but so is $5 pointer I use for PowerPoint presentations. Tape that to your gun during dry firing to see if you flinch or otherwise do something wrong. I'm serious.

2: also true. Shooting from behind cover or a shield, you don't have to bring the sights to the line between your eyes and the target. How likely this scenario is, everyone will have a different opinion of..

3: here is where I begin to question the ads and expert reports.
    If you point shoot from the hip/retention, and you have the time place the dot on the target with the gun at hip level, then you didn't need to pointfire from retention in the first place. You might as well have squeezed off an aimed shot.

4:take the laser off the gun. Get a toy or simulator gun. Now, go outside, preferably in the dark, and have someone run across an open field. Distance is up to you. Don't make it too hard, take 15 -20 yards is plenty. See if you can place and track the laser on that someone any better and easier than with iron sights (use a toy or simulator gun for this). Go ahead. Do it now. I'll wait.

5:
    I could try to explain that the general speed, and jitteriness of the laser on any target, much more pronounced than the movement of both iron sights or red dot optics, makes for very hard tracking of the that laser. I could try to explain that this has mainly to do with muzzle movement, multiplied by the distance to the target, making any and all movement difficult to track.

I could try to explain that a lot shooters start looking over and around their gun, in a desparate attempt to keep track of that erratic moving jittery laser dot.

I could try to explain that a lot of shooters, in a desparate attempt to bring that laser dot in view, will start "angling" the gun like a fishing rod, from the wrists, and bringing the gun down, in order to gain "a better view".

I could try to explain that on the draw, this "desparate search for the laser dot" is even more exacerbated by the laser dot naturally and rapidly moving along the ground and upward on the target, while most shooters would have already acquired either the iron sights or the red dot (from an optic), as both hands join together at stage 2 of the draw (just before pushing and extending the gun out), thus losing even more time on that first (often critical) shot.

I could try to explain that a laser, furthermore, in no way behaves like a parallax free red dot optic, which shows none of that multiplied movement and jitteryness, allowing full focus on the target (this is why a red dot optic is faster than irons: no adjustment of focus required).

....but I guess a die hard believer will not be convinced.

I therefore propose a very simple test, and please, do make a video of your test.

Have a shot timer at hand to check and verify your speed.

The test:

3 targets, placed randomly anywhere between 7-25 yards. Line'em up how ever you like, all 3 side by side, or scattered at different distances. I don't care.

However you like.

From the draw, engage all targets with two shots. 6 shots total. Use a torso sized target (IDPA, IPSC, a blob drawn with a sharpie), any hit on the paper is fine by me.

First run: use iron sights. Record total time.

Now tape off the sights. Block off the notch in the rear sight with tape, and stick a blob of tape on the front sight as well for good measure. Anything keeping you from using the sights in any meaningful way.

Second run: laser only. Record total time.

Repeat and compare runs as often as you like, switching back and forth.

Do it now.

Go ahead.

I'll wait.

But do report back with your results and findings.

And post that video.

6. TRX450R_Racer

TRX450R_Racer Punisher

I have one and I really like it. It doesn't add and width to the pistol. It's thinner then the slide.

7. TRX450R_Racer

TRX450R_Racer Punisher

Yo Beavis! :tongueout:

Read his post he's talking about a flashlight not a laser. :rofl:

8. .50 cal

.50 cal

Thanks for the long post Southpaw, the light-guard however is a white light for pistols and not a laser device

9. .50 cal

.50 cal

Good to hear, how is brightness? Is it a true white temperature color?

10. SouthpawG26

SouthpawG26

Sound of me falling on my sword....I saw Crimson Trace and ADHD set in after that..

Now where did I leave that bottle of pills...

11. .50 cal

.50 cal

Yeah, I didn't know they offered this light either until I started the thread, and I have ADD as well, at least Firearms can keep my attention span going

12. TRX450R_Racer

TRX450R_Racer Punisher

Yes it's bright white. Inside it will light up any size room really well. It has a really wide beam that isn't concentrated in one area. Outside it's good to about 10-12 yards.
    Go to about 4:15
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8sZ0zvtHkUg"]Crimson Trace Light Guard Glock 23 - YouTube[/ame]

Nice someone that can take it like a man. :supergrin: