close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Crimson Trace Laser For Glock 19?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by fnfalguy, Nov 26, 2006.

Tags:
  1. fnfalguy

fnfalguy Supreme Advisor

I nearly purchased one of the new Crimson Trace lasers for my Glock 19. I was intrigued, but I figured that since I already had Trijicon night sites, that I could do better with my $240. In your mind, was not purchasing the laser for the Glock 19 a mistake???

2. G19cPH

G19cPH

3. justinsn95

justinsn95 Im in jail...

is that the laser that is actually inside the gun? i heard they were bad for the gun somehow.

4. bush pilot

bush pilot

Mounts on the grip, well worth the money.

5. HILLSIDEBLUE

HILLSIDEBLUE

Once you get the laser "tuned in" and get to TRUST them, you'll never look at your sites again..........I had a pair on my old revolver and tuned them in for fifty feet at the range.........I was able to shoot a great group on the target and just for fun, I could shoot the staples off the paper target and watch it drop to the ground..........I could never shoot that well with iron sights, no matter what I tried............

I have to wait to buy the CT grips for my new GLOCK, because they are expensive, but I can't wait to get them installed.......

A lot of people don't trust the batteries to work all the time, but that's just not true........With my old revolver I changed them twice a year.......CT recommends changing them once a year.......I never had a failure in the years I used the laser.....Make sure you call Crimson Trace and tell them you want "Free Batteries For Life"......They will send you a code to use when you call their 800 number..........They will send you two sets of batteries a year for the rest of your life........Not a bad deal for Duracell Batteries !!

They come on as soon as you squeeze the grip and are DEADLY accurate, at least at fifty feet, where I had mine tuned........

Go get them !!

John

6. dglockster

dglockster

The URL below will take you to the forum site that Crimson Trace has started. It has some informative as well as interesting information.

http://forums.crimsontrace.com/

7. justinsn95

justinsn95 Im in jail...

so uh, ARE the lasers that go inside the gun bad for it in some way? thats just what i heard. dont know if its true or not.

8. Team CTC-Joe

Team CTC-Joe Crimson Trace

Justin,

The lasers that "go inside the gun" are made in Rochester, New York by Lasermax. www.lasermax.com

[​IMG]

The laser that the poster is asking about is made in Beaverton, Oregon by Crimson Trace. www.crimsontrace.com

[​IMG]

Both of these units are of high quality and do not damage the gun or void the warranty.

Fnfalguy,

Nightsights and Lasers are different systems and bring different attributes to the table, neither one completely replacing the other. All of my defensive firearms have both laser sights AND nightsights. Don't forget to have a reliable flashlight with you as well, you must be able to identify the threat and risk to you in low or no light conditions.

Joe :thumbsup:

9. justinsn95

justinsn95 Im in jail...

hey joe. you're awesome.:thumbsup:
    thanks for helpin out a noob.:hearts:

10. vettely

vettely

NO, I have one (LaserMax)in my G27 which I carry both off duty and on duty.

11. RayB

RayB Retired Member

We've had excellent service from two LaserMax units, in two Glock pistols (G19 & G21), for thousands of rounds of various ammo, including +P.

Accuracy of both LaserMax units was impressive, right out of the box.

Both LaserMax units are still operating on original batteries, from 11/05 and 02/06 purchases.

Getting a lemon is a possibility with anything. While LaserMax has a three year warranty, if you get a funky unit, return or exchange it immediately with the retailer.

--Ray

12. justinsn95

justinsn95 Im in jail...

according to lazermax the unit's on button will replace my slide button. you gotta push it in to turn it on. my question is, now how the heck do i get my slide off? if the slide removal button becomes the on button, then how can i get the slide off anymore?

13. lindh

lindh Reaaly Old Fart

"according to lazermax the unit's on button will replace my slide button. you gotta push it in to turn it on. my question is, now how the heck do i get my slide off? if the slide removal button becomes the on button, then how can i get the slide off anymore?"

You move the slide pin or button downward on both sides at the same time to release the slide. To activate the laser, the pin is pushed in or out laterally (from either side). The replacement pin is just a tad longer than the OEM pin, so it sticks out on each side just enough to push from either side, in the middle, the laser's off.
    Maybe someone can explain it better.

I found it was very stiff at first, as the new spring seems stiffer than the OEM spring. A very thin layer of oil helps.

14. HILLSIDEBLUE

HILLSIDEBLUE

The only problem I can see with the internal laser is you can't adjust it for windage and elevation...........Just how accurate are these things out of the box.........??

In the past I have used a Crimson Trace laser grip on my revolver and found that it had to be adjusted to make it deadly accurate........They said it was fine tuned out of the box for fifty feet, but I didn't find it was that well tuned at all.......After adjustment it was great at fifty feet, I could shoot the staples off the target and watch it drop to the ground.......

If the internal laser isn't accurate out of the box, what do you do?

John

15. RayB

RayB Retired Member

ACCURACY:

Since the LaserMax lies along the long axis of the barrel, it is intrinsically closely aligned with the bullet path. In both our guns, the rounds hit about 1/4" above the dot, out to the back of the range.

At some point, the bullet will begin to drop, and the POI/POA will be dead on.

Somewhere beyond the above-mentioned point, the bullet will begin to appear below the dot.

While the laser beam never bends, over distance the focus of the dot begins to spread, making more of a circle, which gets bigger with distance. These gizmos have practical limits...

On our two LaserMax units, there are no windage or elevation adjustments evident. If the units were inaccurate out of the box, I'd have exchanged them immediately.

We did receive a defective LaserMax, which we exchanged immediately with MidwayUSA. The replacement unit has been flawless. These things happen--I had a bad Bose speaker once. This is where a reputable dealer pays off.

With lasers that don't closely follow the bore axis of the gun, I guess you pick an optimal distance for the beam and bullet to intersect. That will be your sweet spot. From that distance, you could shoot staples! ;)

ON/OFF:

As mentioned, the "slide button" will perform a double-function, once the LaserMax is installed.

If you have short fingers, you might find this hard to reach.

You will note that the button pushes easily once the gun is cocked, and set to fire.

If you prefer to use the OEM guide rod/spring for extended range practice, just pop it back in, leaving the new switch & spring in place.

I am not an easy grader. If I had found LaserMax to be problematic, I would have returned the first one, not have bought the second one, and I would routinely flame the product on this forum.

--Ray

16. vettely

vettely

Yep, the lasermax is iherently more accurate than other types as it is (as mentioned) in line with the barrel. They are not designed for long distance "target" shooting as it is a "combat" type sighting device. I have read some great testimonials from Afghanastan and Iraq. In one, an Abrams ran over a Glock destroying the Glock but the lasermax was not dmagaged.

17. Bowie Tactical

Bowie Tactical

Buy the Crimson trace unit. The guide rod unit works OK but it has been proven to not be used in a gun fight often because there is no time to turn it on when the baloon goes up. The Crimson trace unit turns on by gripping the gun. So it will be there when needed.
    Always train to use the sights and shoot the dominant sight tool. Remember the laser is A tool in the box not THE tool in the box. There are many lighting conditions that render a laser usless. But in low light they are the ticket. Train hard fight easy CHECk 360 David Bowie

18. RayB

RayB Retired Member

While I respect your opinion and agree with your gun handling advice, I struggle with the logic of the above partial quote.

Wouldn't this be somewhat a matter of practice and training? I mean, by that reckoning, nobody would have time to release a safety, or flip on a SureFire light, or line up their sights--just point & shoot! Sure, sometimes it unfolds that way, but almost always?

And for pure range practice, it's instant-on, always-on? That's it? Kind of a bummer, isn't it?

Sincerely,

Ray

19. Bowie Tactical

Bowie Tactical

You are right that it should be overcome with practice. The problem is lack of that for most shooters. Also a 1911 safety is alot bigger and placed in a spot on the gun as to make it a very natural motion. The on/ off of the lazermax system is small and not all that smooth to push. My opinion comes from alot of training and seeing shooters struggle with getting it switched on. IN the speed of a crises draw and shoot it is not happening. I have read written reports and got word from officer shootings where they did not use the guide rod unit because they did not think to use it. I agree training issue to some extent but that is fact of life. But remember what is right for one person is not right for everyone. Pick one and train hard. CHECK 360 David.

20. vettely

vettely

I have found the Lasermax to be very intuitive. When clearing a building, etc, I do not keep my finger on the trigger. My index finger is on the Glock frame just above the trigger with my finger tip on the slide release/switch. Secondly, there are no holster conflicts due to its being internal. Thirdly, you do not want a lzser to automatically turn on, in patrol, as this will lead to citizen use of force/intimidation complaints.