close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Crimping bullets

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by Milltown, Mar 20, 2010.

1. Milltown

Milltown

My Old man bought a lot of reloading stuff like 2 years ago, it came with almost everything you need to start lead casting.

One of the things he ended up with was everything to cast/lube/load .38/.357. One thing that is missing is what I believe to be the inside part of the crimp die.

Can I shoot a .38 special bullets that have not been crimp just tightly seated? It would be in a revolver.

Also can I buy the inside parts to RCBS dies?

Last edited: Mar 20, 2010
  2. robin303

robin303 Helicopter Nut

I ordered a Lee die just for HP's. I don't really know nothing about other makers dies but I would think it would be universal. http://www.leeprecision.com/

3. BK63

BK63

It sounds like you have two different questions here. Casting lead bullets, and loading shells. The seat die for a 38/357 bullet has a roll crimp usually built into it and the part that can be moved or removed is the seat stem. If you can seat the bullet in the die you can roll crimp it. If you don't crimp revolver bullets they can back out during firing enough to jam the cylinder.

4. Orlando Eric

Orlando Eric

I have the same question. I have a 550 with four stations. #4 seems to be the roll crimper. It is threaded at the top and looks like there is something missing but since a loaded round will not fit "into" the die I am thinking the roll crimp die only goes over the tipy end to add the roll crimp? Is this right..

5. GioaJack

GioaJack Conifer Jack

The crimp function is a machined into the die body... screw the die down to increase the crimp, screw the die out to decrease it or eliminate it altogether.

If using a combination seat/crimp die the seating stem will be the only separate part that is completely removable.

Jack

6. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel

You should take a picture and post it. Not know what kind of dies you have and how old they are we haven't a clue what you got.

7. Orlando Eric

Orlando Eric

I figured it out finally. The Seater is also a crimper. The primer decapper is NOT a sizer the other die which I THOUGHT was a crimper is actually a sizer. Which in a 550b is a pita. Size ALL cases then run them through.. hell no. I just ordered a Carbide set from dillon should have them in a week or so.

I'll keep the RCBS dies just in case I ever set up a single stage.. never know..

8. PCJim

PCJim Senior Member

Most dies have markings inscribed/stamped on them. It is possible that you may have a universal depriming die - they are made with a large diameter body so that you can use them with most casings under .500 in diameter. They only deprime the case. They are very useful in certain situations, such as in reloading bottlenecked cases...

Bottlenecked cases must be lubed before resizing. If you are lubing and sizing/depriming (oftentimes done on a single stage) and then tumbling again to remove the lube, the universal die can be used in station 1 of your 550b to insure that there is no media in the flash hole before priming the case and continuing with the reloading process.

Why don't you post the markings on the die so that members can identify just what you have.

9. ScEd

ScEd

Your question is difficult to answer. A decent crimp does help with low-load ignition in loads using a slower powder. I have some loads I use for paper punching that you can see they are so slow and some crimp is needed for even those. Bullet jump is usually what you run into in a 357 that has little or no crimp.

10. dudel

dudel

RCBS pistol dies have are a seater/crimper combo. The only "inside" part I have on my RCBS pistol seater dies is the seating stem which does not apply the crimp. The crimp is integral to the die case. Inside the die, there is a taper, that as you run the bullet up it takes out the flare. A roll crimp die has a different profile in that it turns the lip of the case mouth inward towards the projectile.

You adjust the amount of crimp by raising and lowering the die in the press. You adjust the seating depth by screwing the seating stem in and out. Sounds like you could be missing the seating stem; but then I'm amazed you could seat projectiles without it.

And yes, call RCBS and you can get all the die parts you need. Some are free, some carry a charge.