Criminal Skiing

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Khufu, Feb 12, 2017.

1. Khufu

Khufu Pharaoh

Went skiing today with my kid. I learned something.

The short version of the story. Area where the trail isn't really wide and skiers are funneled together. There were big banners for "slow" and "speed control area". They are bright orange and across the slope. Probably means one should slow down and use caution? My kid is learning to board and was doing a slow toe side across the mountain. Two uphill boarders going really fast following each other didnt make their turns and wiped out and slammed into my kid. She was hurt enough from the impact of a 220lb man against pre-teen kid to get a ride down to the base in the sled and a hospital visit. The boarders stopped and gave name then went to get help (ski patrol made to us before they called in for help as we heard the radios). They then continued to board.

But since it was a collision, it is against CO law. Police were at the base and the whole police report (and ski area incident report) thing followed. The police had the boarders stopped on the lift and brought to them.

The police said that the incident was a criminal action of (I am paraphrasing the words) "reckless endangerment with injury" and some type of 3rd degree assault.

I was actually surprised to find out it was taken so seriously.

I was ran into (and mildly injured) two weeks ago by a boarder and he just took off.

The policeman today said they take these very seriously and arrested someone last weekend for causing a collision and injuring a young girl and then not stopping to report it. He told me that has the two not stopped today and they found they would have been arrested.

As it sits, the police told me it is up to us to tell them if we want criminal charges pressed. I doubt we will as they "did the right thing" after they caused an accident. I dont think it was intentional.

But, beware. Sometimes what people think are "just accidents" can be criminal acts as I learned today.

2. Detectorist

Detectorist

Skiing is dangerous. For a variety of reasons. Almost every serious skier I know has had some serious injuries. Beware. Your kid could have been killed.

3. robbcayman

robbcayman

I would imagine there is some sort of age limit, though. I doubt you could do much to a 12 year old, but I like the intent. People should be held liable civilly and criminally for their actions.

I would also like to see their ski privileges taken away for several years depending on the severity of the issue. If they make it right like in your story from an accident I would let it slide. Those that hit and run should get a hammer dropped on them.

I learned to ski in Breck about 6 years ago. My instructor had her leg broken thanks to a reckless snow boarder a few years prior. She lost her season over it, not to mention the pain and suffering.

4. kiole

kiole

Worse injury I ever got snowboarding was getting off the lift someone fell in front of me and I tried avoiding them. My boarded went one way my one foot strapped in another, tore all kinds of crap in my foot and knee. It sucked big time. I rode down the mountain and directly to the bar. Didn't realize how bad it was to the next day. Luckily it didn't require surgery but that foot and knee still isn't the same

I did fall off the lift once when I was really young learning to ski. I was about 20' high but was completely uninjured as there was tons of powder piled where I fell. The instructor sitting next to me was pretty embarrassed.

5. FLIPPER 348

FLIPPER 348 Bigfoot enthusiast enthusiast

We take it very serious on our local mt. I used to be a snowboard instructor and busted many sets of balls

6. Tahmail

Tahmail

We had 9 people killed from Jan through Apr last year. Take it seriously.

7. fg17

fg17

Hope your daughter is ok. Skiing and boarding can be dangerous, Just like any other sport. But skiing is one the best child hood memories I have. Learn something new all the time, Never new it was a criminal offense.

8. jilverthor

jilverthor

Wow, hope your daughter has been released from the hospital and is doing ok.

ithaca_deerslayer likes this.
  9. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

Jerks out of control are at fault.

Having said that, usually there are beginner areas for learning, hopefully mostly roped off, not letting through traffic in the way you describe.

Anyone, especially a beginner, going across the hill is creating a dangerous situation because the jerks won't be able to stop.

I mention this not as blame, but as a matter of self-preservation. A slow beginner going across the hill is a dangerous situation, because of the out of control jerks coming down the hill.

It is sort of like a slow driver pulling out in front of impatient faster drivers. Speed limits or not, it is the time that many accidents happen. So a skier/boarder has to learn a sense of what is coming down behind you and not vear into their path, not get in their way, even if they are responsible for not hitting you. It is like learning defensive driving.

You may already know all this or not. I'm a long time skier and ski instructor, and have seen a lot, but never been hurt myself. Yet :)

Last edited: Feb 13, 2017
  10. certifiedfunds

certifiedfunds Cosmopolitan Bias

I hope she's ok Dana.

They did the right thing to an extent but if I had hurt a little girl I would have stayed right there, not continued skiing.

11. OGW

OGW SAF

My best wishes for your daughter, Dana.

I'm going skiing in a couple hours and out of control skiers and boarders are always on my mind. It requires constant vigilance and I've had my share of near misses with nitwits. A good friend had his leg shattered to the point that he'll never ski again in attempting to avoid a collision with a boarder going sideways across the hill. He's had six surgeries so far since the accident in December.

The resort I ski at does not patrol aggressively and I don't believe there are any laws like you have in CO. The first time I skied in Utah, the guy I went with warned me about how seriously they take collisions and out of control skiers/boarders and that criminal charges were part of the program for those at fault in cases of injury.

KBKEITH and ithaca_deerslayer like this.
  12. KBKEITH

KBKEITH Problem Solver

Sorry to hear about your daughter and hope she's ok.

Did the cops give the boarders a breathalyzer?

13. Khufu

Khufu Pharaoh

It seems (anecdotally) that snowboarders cause a lot more collisions than skiers. As a group I see borders take many more risks and go down the mountain much faster.

14. K. Foster

K. Foster

Hope your daughter is OK.

15. Taco Junkie

Taco Junkie Practically a saint

Just for running into people on a ski hill? :alex: Seems a bit harsh for a communist state.

16. Wake_jumper

Wake_jumper Don't Jump!

Sorry to hear about your daughter, I hope she makes a full recovery and continues to enjoy skiing.

I love to ski, but I hate snowboarders and snowboards. Back in the day, not long after they became popular, there was talk of restricting them to just part of the slopes. I wish they had done that.

To me, snowboarding (which I have never done and never will) looks more like controlled crashing.

17. Glock&KimberLady

Glock&KimberLady Morior Invictus

I actually did a file last week that was just that - two skiers pulling S-turns that literally ran into each other. It didn't even occur to me that something like that would warrant an insurance claim, but there it was. I've lost count of the times out-of-control skiers and boarders whacked into me during my time on the mountain; 9 times out of 10, there would be embarrassed apologies, offer of a hand to help up, and they would be on their way, still saying "Sorry". I've only hit one person and it was my husband. However, I may or may not have flipped a few skiers following a little too closely on the end of my board, mainly because you can't turn your head all the way around to turn. ;)

Edit: It sounds like your daughter is OK, and I hope she is. That was my greatest fear when the kids got older and better and wanted to do limited exploring on their own. Hence them having cell phones at an early age.

18. Glock&KimberLady

The mountain we frequented often had fog; I don't mean a cute mist that makes everything look romantic, but literal "can't see a foot in front of you" fog. There were a few runs that folks used to get to the juicier portions of the mountain. I would be cautiously gliding along, being surprised by every drift and drop, and there would be kids - almost always young and male - who would be blasting along at insane speeds, just trusting luck and the heavenly reflexes of the young to save them if someone like, say, me popped up in front of them. There was a vested interest in wearing darker clothes, for sure.

19. light-switch

light-switch Back to work...

I just taught my kids to ski this winter. Once they graduated from the bunny hills and went on the green/blue slopes, the second thing I told them was to check up-slope when merging (the first being "staying in control at all times"). Out-of-control skiers/boarders are a menace, and people don't realize how hard flesh hits given a good amount of speed and weight.

20. Glock&KimberLady

If you know what you're doing, are careful, and keep your head on a swivel at all times, boarders and skiers can co-exist very peacefully. Unless, of course, you're stuck on a stopped lift with some snoot who insists on whining about how boarders wreck all the nice runs and pop the tops off "our" moguls and wear those "sloppy clothes". I guess she didn't see the board dangling from my left foot...