Glock Talk banner

Criminal data base for ccw permitees?

390 Views 14 Replies 11 Participants Last post by  FTMFXR
friend says fairfax co. va will add a va ccw permittee to a criminal data base. Anyone ever hear of such a thing?
Reactions: Hauki
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· NRA Life / VCDL
212 Posts
https://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/circu...ts/documents/pdf/concealed-handgun-permit.pdf (Page 3 at the bottom):

• The clerk will make two (2) photocopies of the Concealed Handgun Permit: one copy for the case file; the other copy for the Virginia State Police for further processing.
• The State Police will enter the permit holder’s name and description in the Virginia Criminal Information Network so that the permit’s existence and current status will be made known to law-enforcement personnel accessing the Network for investigative purposes.

· Registered
G19.5, G20.4, GP100, SP101, SBH, Mini 14. ARs. CZ clones.
436 Posts
Our state took administration out of the states hands and gave it to the counties. And again put in law it is illegal to share said info. A governor previously had turned all state info over to the feds. If a CCW carrier is pulled over no Leo knows he has a permit until the permit owner allows it.

· Registered
2,546 Posts
It seems to me that what they're saying is whether you choose to tell the cop you have a permit or not if you get pulled over in Virginia and they run your license it's going to tell them that you have a permit

· NRA Life Member
75,701 Posts
Now watch them accidentally get reported to NICS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If you have a CCW permit, your state probably did the same thing to you. Maybe even cross-referenced it to your driver's license and/or license plates.

· Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If you have a CCW permit, your state probably did the same thing to you. Maybe even cross-referenced it to your driver's license and/or license plates.
I have believed based on ocassional news reports of out of state driver stops that my state‘s police not only have accesses its own ccw permittees, it has access to some other states. Sure would like an LEO to add to this discussion.

· Registered
9,564 Posts
Not a fan adding names of LEGAL gun to a database full of dirt bags. Your ccw application should be on file at the agency that process the application(s). Sounds like a what IF approach, and that is BS.

· On the Border
16,903 Posts
How is that logical?
It would be if the goal was to harass and use the list as a fishing tool. Perhaps that is not the intent, as suggested by Post 3. I agree with Bren that most states probably have some kind of referencing system. In OR, CHL's are connected to ODL's in OSP's database. OSP also administrates background checks.

My admittedly limited personal experience has been that OR LE is very pro-CHL at the state and (most) county and local levels. But still, a list is a list. Things can change.

· Registered
9,478 Posts
On what do you base this assumption? I doubt most states added CCW permit holders to a criminal database. Making the information available if LE runs your driver license or plates is a totally different animal than putting permit holders into a criminal database.

· Registered
2,546 Posts
I doubt most states added CCW permit holders to a criminal database. Making the information available if LE runs your driver license or plates is a totally different animal than putting permit holders into a criminal database.
In Colorado your driver's license is in no way connected to your concealed handgun permit. If the police run your driver's license it won't tell them that you have a concealed handgun permit. In some states it will, in Colorado it won't.

Since there's no law prohibiting it, some Colorado sheriffs (the issuing authority for a concealed handgun permit) have added permit holders from their County to whatever database the police run your driver's license through (I don't know if it's a state or national database).

If your permit was issued by one of those counties and you get pulled over, your name will come up when they do a wants or warrants check. If I remember right there will be a simple notification that you're a concealed handgun permit holder.

· Registered
G19.5, G20.4, GP100, SP101, SBH, Mini 14. ARs. CZ clones.
436 Posts
I’m actually surprised so many states give my state reciprocity. A couple governors ago he was playing footsey with Obamas AG and shared all our drivers license and CCW info. Our legislature not only took it off of our drivers license but enforced it was illegal to share and the issuing agency is now your county. Our state patrol doesn’t know we have a CCW if pulled over. And we’re also constitutional carry so a permit isn’t required. I maintain one for interstate travel.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts