close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Crimes that criminals know they can get away with.

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Gunhaver, Nov 29, 2012.

1. Gunhaver

Gunhaver the wrong hands

It seems simple enough. Somebody gets my debit card info somehow and makes a $90 order to a website that's to be delivered to an address in Tennessee. The smart thing to do would be to flag that package, visit that address and see who picks it up and you have yourself a fraud case. They don't seemed too interested in doing that which is no surprise to me and I'm sure it's no surprise to the thief.

I can't help but be reminded of those cops that showed up to my freshly broken in to apartment and refused to print the glass change jar that was emptied out. Not worth the trouble to try catching petty break ins even though you know the little twerp was already in their system.

In the same neighborhood you couldn't leave your car doors locked or people would break the window just to look in the glove box. I'll never forget the neighborhood watch meeting where several overweight officers unanimously agreed that they'd all seen people in the process of breaking into cars and they just flashed the lights to scare them away. In their opinion it wasn't worth the trouble to chase people for what they considered a "petty crime".

Is there something illegal going on in your neck of the woods simply because it's been deemed more trouble than it's worth to deal with?

2. airmotive

airmotive Tin Kicker

After the Trevon Martin debacle, I can see more and more "just shut your blinds and look the other way" method of crime prevention.

3. Bruce M

Bruce M

You do understand that for a successful prosecution they may well need you there to testify that it was not you/not your signature etc. And even if you were willing to go to Tennessee or wherever for that, it is always possible that the nice credit card people may not want to pay to have a records custodian there for the testimony that may well be needed from him or her for successful prosecution. And the trip may have to be repeated a few times for depositions, continuances, etc. Not condoning this but the reality is that "getting yourself a fraud case" can be a bit more complex and appreciably more expensive than it seems at first glance.

4. BobbyT

BobbyT

In my "progressive" mecca of One Party Rule, it's not petty crimes. Thus literally get away with murder because they and their supportive mamas and rev'runs are valued constituents.

If you live in a free/sane state, the argument against what you describe is the Broken Window Theory, and it's a pretty good one.

5. BobbyT

BobbyT

The problem is that this logic creates a very expensive moral hazard. It's the same as when companies settle frivolous cases rather than risk losing more in court, thus attracting parasite lawyers and entitled Ghetto Lottery chasers.

Better to draw a line in the stand, spend the effort making an example of small time fraudsters, and fight every single ridiculous lawsuit, knowing you may lose from time to time but eliminating the "easy payday" incentive.

6. JW1178

JW1178

An old friend of mine was beaten up by a couple guys because he was dating one of the guy's ex girfriend. He knew their names and all, but not their adresses. The police did nothing about it, told him to stay out of drama. Fact is, they just spotted him with her at the gas station, and he didn't even know who or why they were beating him until his girl said "that was my ex and his best friend". Needless to say, he couldn't get crap done. I don't know if anything came of it afterwards, but I know this, someone randomly jumps me like that, the cops better find them before I do.

7. Arc Angel

Arc Angel Deus Vult!

How is this package going to be delivered? If through the USPS then try to get government postal investigators involved.

8. CarryTexas

CarryTexas

A few years ago my CC# was stolen and some paid there car insurance in England. That should be an easy case to solve. I doubt it was pursued.

9. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

You should move to the country. Sounds like your neighborhood sucks.

However, I know what you mean - in a small town, the police have the time to put into smaller cases, but the bigger the city the more they have to let go, due to manpower and budget. It sucks, but how many fingerprint experts and AFIS equipment, etc., can they afford? Usually cars and people on the street get top priority.

I have had my debit card number stolen twice - one it was used to try and get cash, through an online gambling site (most likely by a waiter at a local restaurant) and another time it was used to buy a video game that was shipped to New Jersey. Even the banks don't seem very interested in it.

10. HerrGlock

HerrGlock Scouts Out CLM

You should rent some Charles Bronson movies.

11. series1811

series1811 Enforcerator. CLM

People get the police force, and the attention from that police force to whatever crimes the deem worthy, that they demand.

We had a local sheriff who went before our county governing board a couple of years ago to ask for his budget.

They asked him how much money he wanted, and he told them that was the wrong question. He said, I can operate this department with one deputy or 500. You just have to decide how much law enforcement you want and then ask me how much that will cost.

When there is more crime than police can handle, the police prioritize, based on what the citizens tell them they want. Not all citizens will agree with those instructions and those priorities.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2012
  12. Z71bill

Z71bill

If the government doesn't want to enforce the laws that they already have on the books - then they sould take those laws off the books - and stop adding so many new laws.

13. RenoF250

RenoF250

I think I would at least ask the cops if they are going to give the other two guys the same answer when they come in complaining I beat the $#%@ out of them with a bat? :dunno:

14. Officer X

Officer X

In my state, the police are precluded, (with a few, specific exceptions) by statute in signing complaints/making arrests for minor disorderly persons offenses.

Harassment, Simple Assault, Criminal Mischief or Theft (under a specific dollar amount) are some of these.

As I wrote, there are some exceptions either by statute or case law, which are specific in certain instances which give the officer the ability to make an arrest.

The correct way in these cases is to advise the victim how to sign their own complaints in court. That can be fun times to try to do as people argue that we're not "doing our job" or want us to sign complaints which we can't legally do.

15. Officer X

Officer X

In NJ, getting "beat up" with no aggravated or serious injuries, would be a simple assault (a disorderly persons offense). It would carry the potential of 'jail' time of up to one year and a fine. Unless the officer witnessed it or the suspect came right out and confessed, the officer can't make the arrest and the victim would have to sign their own complaints in municipal court.

Beating the $#% out of them with a bat would more than likely be Aggravated Assault and Possession of a Weapon for an Unlawful Purpose, minimum 4th degree crimes that would be heard in Superior Court with the potential of 'prison' time. That would make it much easier for an arrest to be made on probable cause.

16. Chuck TX

Chuck TX CLM

This seems to especially be an issue in rural counties that experience a sudden influx in population (and crime) where the budget hasn't had time to catch up. From my unfortunate experience that makes for a perfect window for burglars to have a heyday.

If you don't have the budget, manpower, and technology, what can you do?

17. devildog2067

devildog2067

It'd cost far more than $90 to do that, is the problem.

18. SGT HATRED

SGT HATRED

Yeah ILLEGAL IMMIGRATION......

19. SC Tiger

SC Tiger Jive Tiger

Stolen Toshiba tablets.

20. ray9898

ray9898

I wish GT would make up their mind. Is LE plain lazy or are we JBT's ruining lives by locking people up for nothing? I hear it both ways.