Crickets - Why are Michigan Glockers so quiet?

Discussion in 'Michigan Glockers' started by Ninjamamaseeta, Mar 9, 2017.

1. Ninjamamaseeta

Ninjamamaseeta "You don't get what you don't ask for."

Can we get some interesting local chatter started?

I have a question regarding Open Carry and Michigan. The question has to do with whether or not you've noticed anyone OC'ing in our state. I've been looking for quite some time but haven't spotted anyone.

What I'm curious about is how they conduct themselves. I'm not looking for the political statement enthusiasts who are the ones the media loves to magnify in their stories. I'm talking about the silent citizens who go about their daily business but happen to be inclined to exercise their rights.

I've read just about every OC thread on a couple of forums and there's a lot to be said about why people think it's a good or bad idea. I'm not looking to restart any of those debates although if you'd like to discuss, that's ok by me. I'm just looking for information on whether or not anyone has noticed someone OC'ing in places other than a shooting range or local firearms shop.

I'm located in SE Michigan where the power is currently out for over 600,000 residents. Makes me wonder if OC might be exercised a little more when there's a bigger chance of crimes. A local LEO mentioned yesterday that he had concerns about the major power outage and what that might do in terms of looting in our local downtown area. I hadn't thought about it until yesterday.

2. Current Resident

Current Resident

I had not heard one thing about misbehavior in our region. Since OC has taken off I have only seen a few partake in this activity.

The ones that stick out in my mind are a guy grocery shopping late at night in an empty store. He would turn his body and keep his firearm out of view.

The second was in a Gander Mountain, a man walking fast through the aisles. My first impression was this is his first time and wanted to get through it. He was clearly nervous.

The last was a few years back I found out one of my son's friends got an FFL and was open for business. He always had confidence when growing up.
    One day I saw him on his motorcycle OC.
    Less than a year later he was found dead of heroin. I never saw that coming.

The only time I OC is during hunting season. I always CCW, I'm not willing to eliminate the surprise. I am however ready to show force if I have to show it.

Elwood

glock1097 and Ninjamamaseeta like this.

3. glowrod

glowrod Fightin' Fire

A while back at a local restaurant a young gentleman had a pistol on each hip. The one looked like a g21 and the other was a revolver. He looked like someone wanting attention. I was not the only one laughing when he left and scraped the revolver against the door frame on the way out.

Current Resident likes this.
  4. Ninjamamaseeta

Hi Elwood. That's really sad about your son's friend. Drugs and alcohol have taken a lot of very important people, far too soon in their lives.

Thanks for sharing your experiences. I still have yet to see anyone OC'ing and I wonder if I chose to exercise this right, how others would respond since it's not something that people see around the areas where I spend time. I suppose in some cases, it may strike up a conversation. In other cases, people will stand afar and judge me for the nerve of exposing a firearm when they think I should be carrying concealed instead. BG's aren't as plentiful regarding random acts of vicious attacks, thankfully and if it were such commonplace, I'm glad I have the means to move to a less likely area where there's a high statistical likelihood of something bad happening on a random occasion.

I'm very thankful for the life I lead and for the opportunities to exercise my freedoms. There was a time when women didn't have as much equality as we do now. I don't believe all men and all women were created equally. There are limitations to both. I've accepted that my stature will never scare a BG away like others I've seen share their posts in other threads. I've accepted that I'm an easier target than men due to my size (5'0" @130 lbs, mostly muscle of course, he he). I've accepted that there are random acts of violence in the world and I pray to God that neither myself nor my loved ones ever experience such and I wish the world were full of hope and love like I carry in my heart. But the reality is, at any time, anyone can be wiped off the face of the earth from health issues, from random accidents, or from an act of violence where they may have been in the wrong place at the wrong time taking every precaution known to man.

Some decide to exercise their secrecy by CCW and others prefer to OC. I really do think that there's something said for the thinking that an armed public is a safe public. Yet, in my mind, I have contradictory thoughts that because 'public' is such a vast array of responsible or irresponsible persons, that an armed public may be an unsafe public.

I struggle with this every day now that I've gotten my CPL and I find arguments for and against CCW and OC.

Due to randomness of violence and the fact that I've not invoked anyone through verbal altercation that would escalate to a degree where someone might want to target their anger towards me, I think my most likely scenario for dealing with a violent situation may be either home invasion, where I can OC without judgment or from some random grocery store or gas station robbery while I'm standing in the wrong place at the wrong time and whether or not I'm CCW or OC, it probably won't matter. That's been my latest thinking, but I'll encounter scenarios from time to time where I think otherwise. Like a situation where a random BG may walk up behind me and grab my handgun worn OC at the 3'o'clock or 4 o'clock position. Less likely for a snatch and grab with a CCW worn AIWB but where I'd be in a situation where I may be the only person able to respond before police arrive.

I think it just comes down to which scenarios may be the most likely to occur in your own presence, based on your own line of thinking, based on your own comfort level, and based on your own perception of your own skills.

Still more to think about but I appreciate you sharing your stories. Thank you.

5. Ninjamamaseeta

Hi glowrod,

He must have been preparing for that Zombie Apocalypse I keep hearing about. ;)

Thinking about that local restaurant, if a Pulp Fiction episode were to have unfolded and he were the only armed citizen, nobody would be laughing and he could have very well turned out to be the hero in the headlines. One really doesn't know when an incident will go down and how others around might be able to respond. As long as they remained holstered, I say to each his own and I also hope he knew how to use them properly, just in case.

I often wonder if it would be worthwhile for me to have a backup if I were to go walking alone in one of our local parks. It's a gigantic park with lots of woods, trails, trees, water, etc. In daylight hours, it doesn't seem threatening. In the evening, when it's calm and beautiful out, it's tempting to clear my head by walking the paths, but... Anyone walking alone is an easy target out in the woods. Not necessarily thinking one on each hip, but an ankle and a waist band worn personal defense setup wouldn't be a bad idea. Even if I were with someone, there are still risks.

I'm preparing to teach a very close friend of mine who loves to walk trails in her area of town. She is fearful that something bad could happen and she doesn't have any means of defending herself. She's eager to learn so we're starting her official training tomorrow. We'll start with safety first and are only going to go through the key points, watch a few videos over lunch, and talk openly about this and that. Next, we'll go into 'handling' in a safe environment - outside of a range where I can spend time showing her how to handle but with an unloaded handgun in a very quiet environment so all she has to do is focus on what we're talking about. Then to the range, where she'll have a chance to experience what she's prepared for after all is explained to her before we leave the quiet environment.

I'm very much looking forward to introducing to her a way to defend herself in an otherwise potentially defenseless situation. Last resort of course, but having alternatives to choose from. We'll also go over the use of tactical lights (strobes) and some things I've picked up by talking with others who teach this stuff. I've made the strobe light suggestion to a whole lot of people who are fearful of handguns but want to have a way to protect themselves and their families. A strobe and a blunt object can go a long way toward defending oneself to the point where escape is possible. It's several steps away from being able to be able to defend a family from multiple invaders, but it's better than nothing at all which happens in stories we hear on the news.

6. ShootingRooster

ShootingRooster These are Great Times for Gun Owners!

I saw and man and wife open carrying at my Western U.P. Walmart just the other day. I chuckled because I had my G43 in an Urban Carry holster.

Ninjamamaseeta likes this.
  7. Current Resident

Current Resident

Crime is everywhere my friend, even in the UP.

glock1097 and fatduk1963 like this.
  8. ShootingRooster

Oh there's crime for sure, and LEOs can be 30+ hard miles away, and that's assuming you have a signal to call for help. I spend a lot of time in the woods and it seems rather foolish to not have a firearm. The meth and opiate issue in my area is also certainly cause for concern. Many long, desolate stretches of highway where few people are traveling and many animals are crossing. There are also wolves, coyotes (not really scary, but never pass a chance to shoot a yote), and I've personally seen 2 mountain lions (who are not afraid of you, and will stare right at you). You consider all this, and how can anyone who lives here not carry a gun?

9. jimw

jimw

Southern MI here. I see a little Oc in Indiana, and almost none here in MI. Only time I opt for it is on my own property (40 acres), otherwise it's cc. That's my choice, if someone else carries open, that's fine with me.

fatduk1963 likes this.
  10. Current Resident

Current Resident

Last week I took the wife to dinner. Not a lot of folks in the diner on a Friday evening. I scan the place and two tables across is what I deem a mild manored meek older guy. Ha, he stands up and is OC a Kahr .40. I love it, you never know who is in the room with you.

11. fdracing

fdracing

I've seen one guy pumping gas. One guy came into the range open and they asked him to pull his shirt out. There is a guy at work that OC's definitely to get attention.(He told me he does)
    I only CC.
    How about...how do you feel about CC in church?

12. Ninjamamaseeta

OC and CC should be a person's choice and not something mandated or controlled by our government. I support the 2nd Amendment.

Church, schools, restaurants, woods, homes, whatever... A person has a right to feeling safe and providing his or her own personal protection with the means we have available to us.

I personally believe there would be much less crime if the bad guys knew there was a big chance that a person was carrying.

13. ShootingRooster

Can't say that I disagree with your points, but I greatly prefer CC over OC. There are too many people uncomfortable with a visible firearm. I also know people comfortable with guns who aren't comfortable with OC. It doesn't matter if that's right or wrong, that's the way it goes. Those same people have a right to feel safe too, and it's fair to point out that they don't know you or your intentions or your safety practices. Then there are hard-ons who make a big deal about OC and do nonsense like call the cops or hold it against businesses. In the spirit of keeping everyone cool, calm, and collected, and to avoid hassles, I stick to CC. I also know several police officers who have told me bluntly that they greatly prefer when people CC, so I follow their advice. Ultimately I still support the right to OC, and I would never vote against that, but I will continue to CC.

14. Ninjamamaseeta

Thanks for sharing your thoughts! I believe we're of like thinking. I've read on this topic for many months and have had a chance to do some soul searching. I started out with the frame of mind that was the stereotypical brainwashed US Citizen who watches the mainstream news media and forms opinions based on filtered realities.

Then I found what the rest of society had to say on the matter through forums like these. People share the unfiltered thoughts openly and many times, they also do so with dying passion.

I've read just about every argument you can make either for, or against OC and CC and I also chose to CC to avoid invoking the fear factor. I'm not carrying so other people will fear me. As is true with many others, I'm also carrying for personal protection and to protect my loved ones when we go places. My family doesn't even know I'm carrying. They know I have my CPL but haven't asked so I don't bring it up. It's one less thing for them to think about and honestly, they shouldn't be preoccupied with whether or not I'm carrying. When we're together, it's about spending time with loved ones and not about wondering why I've found it justifiable to carry or not. Plus, I don't want anyone blurting out a question about me carrying or what I'm carrying around a bunch of judgmental people who still in the frame of mind I used to be (brainwashed by mainstream news media).

ShootingRooster likes this.
  15. popdad

popdad

I have seen open carry. I was with my wife and daughter in Taco Bell. What I would call a family unit came in. The kids were in their early teens, and the man and woman were both open carry. When they sat down the man had his holster and gun over hanging the booth seat. The employee stopped and stared at the gun in the holster that had no restraint to remove before drawing the gun. He stared at the gun for a long time and moved towards by a couple of steps and then turned away. I have seen this tread more and more with open carry. No holsters with restraint for to take off before drawing your gun.

16. Ninjamamaseeta

Interesting story. Taco Bell of all places. Hmmm... Makes me wonder if this was somewhere along M-59, maybe Waterford. Not sure why that place comes to mind. It just does.

By the way... I believe the 'restraint' you mentioned is called 'retention'. The Serpa Holster has Level 2 or Level 3 Retention. Level 2 requires only a finger to release the firearm. Level 3 requires both a thumb and a finger to release. It's tricky to unholster quickly.

17. glock1097

glock1097

I've been carrying CC since 1977 and as LE, PI and security for 27. IMHO OC is dangerous and my reason is, why advertise. It also can bring unwanted and unwarranted attention. But that's just me.

I see occasional OC in my AO and I just chuckle.

Dr glock19 and Ninjamamaseeta like this.
  18. Cormkev

Cormkev

Hey Michiganders just joined Glocktalk. Live in Canton. I have a couple friends that carry concealed. Personally I have never seen anyone OC.

19. sullyxlh

sullyxlh

Didn't see them personally but we did have the two idiots recently that tried to OC walking in the Dearborn police station and that didn't go over to well for them...

20. Ninjamamaseeta

I heard about that but didn't follow the story through. How much trouble did they get into? I seem to recall hearing that they were wearing masks too, or some sort of disguise? Idiots for sure. They give the responsible armed citizens a horrible rap.