Crew Chiefs

Discussion in 'The US Air Force Forum' started by tyesai, Mar 12, 2006.

1. Lennyjoe

Lennyjoe Guest

jackb, when were you in Korea? 02-03 for me.

2. adamgh81

adamgh81 Guest

I know this is an older post, but i'm new here.

F-16 Crew Chief in the Guard since May 2000

3. Jon K

Jon K

B-52 D 6580 March AFB, back when there was a SAC. 1980-82
    KC-10A march AFB 1982-82

4. Glockenbang76

Glockenbang76 Guest

I did an airshow at March ARB in 1999. Nice base. Super location!

5. PatinAz

PatinAz

Crew Chief on KC-135Rs at Fairchild AFB from '97 to '01. Great job, great people, great trips, crappy trips, would do it all again in a heartbeat. Anyone know Limewood (aka Limey/Slimey)?

6. b52ace

b52ace NRA Patron

but I started my career as a MX Officer at Grand Forks (and got tired of working for a living and became a pilot! :) )

Seriously, having spent 2.5 yrs in MX, CCs were the greatest people on the flightline and I fully understood who owned that B-52 when they handed me the forms. Enjoyed taking them TDY and making sure they were part of my crew.

Thanks to all, current and former.

7. Viper16

Viper16

:wavey: F-16 Crew Chief in the OKANG for 5 years and loving every bit of it. Getting ready to serve my second time overseas this coming summer. It is an honor to be able to serve for my country and work on a multi-million dollar aircraft with my brothers and sisters of the USAF :supergrin:

8. klt1986

klt1986

T-38 Crew Chief, Reese AFB from 1987 to 1991.

9. Ian-NH

Ian-NH

KC-10 guy here from McGuire AFB. 1996-1999

10. USAFE7RET

USAFE7RET

462xx here, cut trained as a crew chief, Luke AFB 74-78. Was swingshift crew chief of F15A 73100. Had a ball loading wpns, fuel tanks, working wpns systems, hydraulics, AMAD, JFS, engines etc. Was working on Avionics qualifications but PCSed to soon.
    :banana:

Engine runs on the trim pad were a real BLAST for this wpns troop, Loved full AB WOW :shocked: :shocked: :thumbsup:

11. Fox_Starwing

Fox_Starwing Guest

A-10 Warthog crew chief, 175th wing MD air guard.
    I love that plane... Some say it's ugly, but I think it is
    beautiful, and the most capable ground attack aircraft in the world.

I'm currently working as a phase maintenance guy. You know the drill, every four hundred hours we rip the plane apart and fix everything.

12. Live With Honor

Live With Honor

Crewed F-15's for six years. Still the sexiest airframe in the inventory!!!

I specifically remember recovering my aircraft after a patrol mission at PSAB. After the Major gets into the truck to go to briefing, I start my thruflight, and notice a gaping hole in the left rear stabilator. My first thought was "Why the hell didn't my pilot tell me he had been hit!?" I call my pilot back to the aircraft and ask him what gives. His exact words "I'll be damn! I knew the bastards were shooting at us, but I didn't know I took one!"

Turns out he had taken a chunk of AA fire will on mission, and didn't even know it! The round missed the actuator by about six inches. Now that's a solid aircraft!

13. Glockenbang76

Glockenbang76 Guest

The F-15 rules the school. I had many happy memories fishing pilot pens out of the cockpit, and cleaning my girl until she shined. Live, what base were you stationed at?

14. BigBore45

BigBore45

I'm in Az as well in the 358th. Where are u a Flight Chief?

15. crewdog252

crewdog252

I've been a F-15 crew chief for almost 13 years now. I was at Mtn Home AFB for 10 and finishing my sentence at Kadena AB with a deros of spring 09. If I stay on 15's, I want to go back to E-models. I have crewed, worked in the moc, and currently employed as an expeditor. Love my job..very busy. I'm ready to get back to my guns!!

16. devinsdad

devinsdad

Was wondering if a Crew Chief Thread would ever surface.
    Started out in 85 on F-15 A&B's, then got C&D's then started geting MSIP C&D's, all this at Eglin, Moved on to Keflavik in Iceland 88-89, then to DM for A-10's. Love that plane! Went to Osan in 91, then to McChord with the 354th in 92. Back to DM in 95 and there till I retired in 2005. Was in the 57th, 58th, and retired out of the 54th. Had orders to Kadina 2 weeks before returning from Balad, Iraq, when I made up my mind to bail. Thought I'd miss it more... Maybe all us DM guys should get together some weekend and throw some lead around. Give me a shout,
    Fritz
    [email protected]

17. wyattearp

wyattearp

Crew Chief on the inimitable RF-4C...Bergstrom Air Patch and Sunny Zweibrucken AB. I have the scars to prove it! One on the top of my head from the LOX door and one in the middle of my back from a fuel drain. Great bird, fun times. Still miss them.

18. CPT_CRUNCH

CPT_CRUNCH P.O.W.

BUFFS ROCK!!! :supergrin:

19. MDLibertarian

MDLibertarian NRA Life Member

I lived about a 45 minute drive from there in Hemet, CA. Too bad most of the facilities were mothballed with the BRAC closures and the transfer of the base from active duty to reserve. My dad was the project superintendent for the construction of the headquarters for the air refueling unit that was (or is) based there back in the late-1980s.

I was a crew chief on C-17s at Charleston AFB from 1995 - 1999 with the 637th Aircraft Generation Squadron. The 637AGS was eventually reintegrated with the 437AGS (C-141s at the time) after the C-141s were put out to pasture, but I retrained into the intelligence field before that happened. I still miss working on aircraft, but my knees sure don't.

20. wraithZ06

wraithZ06 Guest

wow this thread is old. :cool: Former C-130 crew chief, stationed at Little Rock AFB Arkansas. Didn't like the base all that much, so I tried to stay TDY as much as I could.

I have lots of stories, but I will tell one of my most embarrassing. Nellis AFB, Red Flag training. If you don't know what red or green flag is out at Nellis, hopefully you have seen the Discovery Channel's show on it. We stayed for about 3 weeks maybe longer, can't remember. I just remember getting bored in Vegas :shocked:.

Inspecting and servicing my aircraft (I was on dayshift, because we all know dayshift does all the work and nightshift beats us home from work:rofl:), my trainer asks me if I wanted to take an incentive flight. I said sure, mind you I had no idea what I had in store.

My breakfast that morning consisted of peanut M&M's and raspberry tea (which till this day, I still can't drink, you'll read later why). Noon time rolls around and the air crew shows up, everything is cleared for me to ride along.

We take off into the wild blue yonder. I had to throw that in there. Our mission was to fly thru the cannons and purge the crossovers of fuel. Well to purge, the aircraft flies 90 degrees untill the purge is complete. I was on the left wing and the load master is on the right wing. You basically strap yourself to the paratrooper door, so you don't fall off. Then tell the pilot that the purge is complete. Not bad so far.

Then comes flying thru the canyons. Diving, climbing, banking, all kinds of crazy stuff that I didn't know this big ass cargo aircraft could do or was capable of doing. Believe me when I tell you that the C-130 is a very nimble aircraft considering its size.:wow:

So during one of the dives, the pilot failed to tell us in the back we were diving. I happened to be in the rear, walking up to the front. During that little walk, I became weight less and became friendly with the aileron pack. woo hoo.

So after all the banking and turning. The little bit of food (candy) I had in my gut, got sprewed into a vomit bag. I was always used to picking them up off the floor and in the paratrooper seats. Never thought I would have to use one. Come to find out, my trainer and the pilot knew each other pretty well, and was instructed to "give him a ride". Well I got one and still don't like Lipton raspberry ice tea. :rofl: