close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Creepy, stagey trigger: did I cause this?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by maestrogustav, Jul 19, 2012.

1. maestrogustav

maestrogustav

I own three Gen4 Glocks. They all had smooth triggers: No grit, just a solid wall, a steady "whoosh" and a crisp break.

The first time I cleaned one, I used Gunscrubber. BTW I'm NEW to Glocks.

After lubing and reassembling, the "cleaned" pistol's trigger was hesitant. It seems to have several walls and breaks.

I've tried different connectors, and even some polishing, but this particular pistol has never returned to its very satisfactory stock predictability.

Anyone have any ideas? My other two are surprisingly good, and this one is surprisingly bad. Thanks.

2. Tiro Fijo

Tiro Fijo

Try a good synthetic lube or grease on the connector lube point, e.g., G96 CLP, MPRO7 LPX or Weapon Shield.

3. anomaly13

anomaly13

when you did your disassembly/cleaning, did you go so far as to take out the safety plunger and the little spring? i only ask because i had replaced a plunger/spring for a friend once and the stupid spring wasn't seated properly when i dropped it back in....the trigger felt gritty/jerky at one point during each pull....definitely not smooth...once i figured out what i had done and reseated the spring, it was smooth as silk....

Last edited: Jul 19, 2012
  4. maestrogustav

maestrogustav

No, strictly a field strip
    What's the connector lube point?

Last edited: Jul 19, 2012
  5. JBS

JBS

Make sure you did not knock the trigger spring off to one side of where it connects to the cruciform. It should be straight with the center line of the frame.

6. maestrogustav

maestrogustav

How do you fix it?

7. JTSmith

JTSmith Œgfdrïńëçł

You fix it by removing the ejector housing. Did you look to see if it's off to one side though?

8. JBS

JBS

You can see if the spring is off to one side without removing the trigger housing. I have borrowed from a vender a slide show that will let you see step by step disassembly and reassembly of all the components. Pay attention when you get around page 20ish as this shows the spring and its correct relationship to the cruciform and housing. The trigger problems you have listed are very common when the spring is not installed correctly. Give this a try and see if it corrects the problem, if not we will go to the next possibility.

http://www.glocktriggers.com/uploads/GlockTriggers_Disassembly_Reassembly.pdf

Last edited: Jul 20, 2012
  9. NewportNewsMike

NewportNewsMike

It is where the end of the trigger bar meets up with the connector. If this point is not lubed, it makes a BIG difference in the feel of the trigger pull.

Have a look at "www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGobEpUO3Uc&list=TLu4b2R1MJaeU" for a good video on lubricating a Glock. Along about the 3:45 time mark is where he lubes the point in question.

My guess is your cleaning really cleaned out this contact point and getting a good lubrication will put things back right.

10. H&K 4 LIFE

H&K 4 LIFE Leonum A Ignis

How did you change connectors by only doing a basic field strip? :dunno:

11. maestrogustav

maestrogustav

The change in the trigger pull occurred after a cleaning. I went to an armorer and he tried different connectors, hoping to fix the problem; it did not.

UPDATE: I tried a different slide assembly on my frame, new, stock. The trigger pull was smooth, like my other two Glocks! I returned my slide to my frame, and the herky-jerky was back. So it seems I've isolated the issue: it must be in the upper, right?

12. JBS

JBS

Looks like you have the probable cause located. Use the link I posted to strip your slide and inspect for problems and then reassemble per the step by step. As "Anomaly13" has said check the safety plunger and make sure the spring is properly installed and seated. Keep us posted

Note: did you shoot cleaner full blast into the vent hole of the slide bottom just behind the breach face?

Last edited: Jul 20, 2012
  13. Glock Junkie

Glock Junkie

I am wondering why the armor did not fix the problem while he had the pistol in front Of him

14. maestrogustav

maestrogustav

Yes, full blast.

I find it hard to imagine that my problem is so uncommon, but it seems so.

15. JBS

JBS

Sorry, was out on the tractor all morning, hot like a stove out there today. Anyway there is the remote posibility that you blasted junk into the spring area of the safety plunger by shooting cleaner into that vent hole. Did you completely disassemble the slide and reassemble per the .pdf instructions?

16. maestrogustav

maestrogustav

I have not yet disassembled.

I spoke with an armorer from Glockmeister this AM at the PHX gun show; he suggested a complete disassembly by an armorer, for $35 bucks.

I am going to go through the description and see if Im comfortable doing it myself, as a new Glock owner.

Odd, the staginess is becoming intermittent. maybe 25 percent of the time I get a smooth pull.

17. JBS

JBS

I think if you go slow you will be up to the job and you will gain a new understand of just how well designed your new pistol is. If you get in a jam send me a PM ( may take me a few hour to respond ).

Last edited: Jul 21, 2012
  18. kodiakpb

kodiakpb

The slide is the easiest thing to take apart. You literally depress the FP with a punch and remove the back plate. Don't pay someone $35 to do that for you. I'll do it for $30 - kidding

19. elijah58

elijah58

Check out the slides, stripping the slide is really simple and there are very few parts to lose. after barrel removal and recoil spring, you have the slide, the Back Cap, the firing pin, the load spring, the load bearing, the ejector, firing pin safety and firing pin safety spring.
    Counting the slide there are 8 parts. super simple to put together.

20. Chronos

Chronos

After you disassemble/reassemble for the first time, you'll be miffed at the guy who wanted $35 to do it for you.