close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Creepy Crawly Pet

Discussion in 'Woof Memorial Critter's Corner' started by PeterJasonMN, Jul 25, 2006.

1. PeterJasonMN

PeterJasonMN ****

Right now I've got dad's chihuahua here, my attack hamster, but I was thinking of adding one more low-maintenence pet.

I'm thinking:

[​IMG]

Anyone here ever had, or now have a tarantula?

2. fastvfr

fastvfr Ancient Tech

Not personally, but be careful who you hand it to.

I hear they really don't like being dropped too much.

***SPLAT*** :shocked: :freak: :stop:

3. SouthernGal

SouthernGal What's Up Dox?

While I've never owned one myself, for some 5+ years I shared an office with a guy whose wife raised, bred and sold tarantulas for a living.

They are absolutely amazing to watch and I find them rather fascinating. I learned a lot from Jon and his wife. At their home they had some 50+ adults including one from the local zoo that was as large as a salad plate. She ate small rodents.

And he's right, they don't like to be dropped. They kinda "break" when you do that.

4. PrincessCelica

PrincessCelica

My brother had one for a while. I forget the actual maintenance required. I can ask him for ya and get back to ya. If you are interested in handling it, I would recommend that you start young. If you don't handle it often enough, it won't like being held. I think my bro's brushed a fang against me when I was holding it and needless to say I never held it again. Neither did my brother and it ended up being extremely shy.

5. VAshooter

VAshooter CLM

My son-in-law had one for years. It lived in a aquarium and stayed in a little house not moving very much. It ate crickets or baby mice but not very often.
    The most common question was "Is it alive?"

Doug in Virginia