Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why is that? And, if I have a combo card but use only the credit card function, is it still a debit card?

·
Registered
832 Posts
I assume because a credit card has more security than a debit card. Most people don't have a limit on their debit card, but they do have a limit on their credit card. I don't know, though.

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
Any debit card that carries a logo such as Visa or Mastercard is required to have the same protections as a Visa or Mastercard credit card. The difference being who has your money between the time that it's stolen and when it's resolved. With a debit card, they're playing with your money. With a credit card, they're only playing with your available credit, not your in-pocket funds.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
The problem with debit cards is that when someone takes money out of YOUR checking account by stealing your debit card number, it can take a day or two to get your bank to replace the funds. In the meantime, life goes on and you have bills to pay and drafts coming out of your account. Yes you will get the money back but why not use a credit card so the money that was stolen was the banks, not yours? With a credit card a couple of days to dispute a fraudulent charge is no sweat, not so much with a debit card.

ETA: Now someone will come along cursing the evils of the credit card and saying how Dave Ramsey or whoever says they're the debbil. Before that starts, I would just like to remind everyone that if you are disciplined and pay your balance to zero every month a credit card with no annual fee costs you nothing. Zero. Period.

·
Registered
3,628 Posts
Because your credit card will usually be protected from fraudulent purchases, whereas if someone hacks your debtor card that pulls cash out of a checking account the bank usually won't refund it. At least that's how it is with my bank, Chase.

·
Registered
12,730 Posts
Debit cards suck because they are much harder to contest transactions on also you never get paid to use them. I use a Chase Freedom or Discover card for everything. Both pay 1% min.

I bought some fireworks when I was visiting my parents with a debit card and they double charged. It was very obvious and easy to clear up had it been a credit card but since it was a debit card they said the vendor had to fix it. Luckily they did but it was the last time I used a debit card.

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
Debit cards suck because they are much harder to contest transactions on also you never get paid to use them. I use a Chase Freedom or Discover card for everything. Both pay 1% min.

I bought some fireworks when I was visiting my parents with a debit card and they double charged. It was very obvious and easy to clear up had it been a credit card but since it was a debit card they said the vendor had to fix it. Luckily they did but it was the last time I used a debit card.
There are several debit cards that give cash back or other rewards.

8,219 Posts
With Mastercard Debit as long as your pin isn't used money will be replaced if the card is stolen or used fraudulently or at least thats what my bank says.

·
Registered
12,730 Posts
ETA: Now someone will come along cursing the evils of the credit card and saying how Dave Ramsey or whoever says they're the debbil. Before that starts, I would just like to remind everyone that if you are disciplined and pay your balance to zero every month a credit card with no annual fee costs you nothing. Zero. Period.
I think half the members of this site have a shrine setup for him.

·
Banned
19,326 Posts
I happen to like DR though I don't follow all of his advice. DR preaches to the masses and the masses don't pay off their CCs every month.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
FWIW, I think Dave Ramsey is dispensing solid financial advice. I just get tired of everyone saying that anyone who has a couple of credit cards is bound to max them out and will never pay off the balance. Sure, some people can't control their spending but that's not true of everyone. Credit cards, properly managed, are a useful tool.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts