close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Creative audio drivers AAARRGGGHHHH

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by G20man32904, Aug 19, 2004.

1. G20man32904

G20man32904 Deceased

Ok tech guru's I need some help with this one.
    I lost sound from my right rear speaker... :(
    Here we go, system is 1.5gig processor, full gig of memory, Audigy gamer sound card (1.5 years old), Geforce 4 Ti4400 graphics and Klipsch promedia 5.1's.
    Now I have conducted some tests to rule out a hardware issue swap cables, speakers, subs, etc. and hardware is good, updated and installed new drivers from Creative's web site. Uninstalled and reinstalled at least 2x and I am getting frustrated to say the least.
    I now this is a driver issue, because it has happened in the past and I think when I updated the drivers again it fixed it, but not this time. The new drivers just arent doing it and I dont know which drivers did fix the problem. I contacted creative and they told me I was SOL because the card was a year and half old and obsolete technology. :soap:
    Talk to me people, please!!!

2. plato

plato softie

I can't help you, but I don't think it's a driver issue.

My sound system is very basic.

3. G20man32904

G20man32904 Deceased

plato,
    What are your thoughts on this??
    Give me a guess if thats all you have...
    Thanks

4. sandboy6184

sandboy6184

get a better written driver

www.driversguide.com

use the user and pass that I use

user: drivers
    pass: all

now go get it tiger

5. G20man32904

G20man32904 Deceased

Thanks Sandboy,
    I got 3 different sets of drivers and none solved my problem...
    Any thoughs, idea's,???

6. RaiderRodney

RaiderRodney Just Win Baby

I have basically the same card (Audigy MP3) and I have had nothing but hell out of it. Are you running XP? I have all the XP web-updates, etc from Creative and still have sound problems. Not really with one speaker though, just the overall EAX crap.

If you have onboard sound, I would suggest uninstalling all your creative drivers, shutting down and pulling out your card. Restart, let all onbaord crap get back to normal and see if you still have the speaker problem. If not then its your Gamer card. If you do, it would have to be the speaker it would seem. Just my 2 cents...

7. NetNinja

NetNinja Always Faithful

Sounds like your using Windows 98.

If I were you I would upgrade to Win XP. At least WinXP will automatically install the drivers for you.

8. Its The Truth

Its The Truth

Creative Labs drivers are GARBAGE! It locks up my computer. Yes thats what it is. Next mobo, will be integrated sound. Never gonna buy another CL product.

9. G20man32904

G20man32904 Deceased

Netninja,
    using Xp pro.
    RaiderRodney, no onboard sound, mobo came with a sound card from gateway that was crap so I thought I would "upgrade"... I guess not..

10. fastvfr

fastvfr Ancient Tech

Hey G20Man--

All is not lost. I see crap like this quite often, and it can be frustrating, but it is not too tough to fix.

First thing: Shut PC down and unplug it. Open the case, touch the PSU and remove the sound card.

Move the PCI card to another slot.

Restart the PC once everything is tightened back down. XP will Find New HW, and install its version of the drivers.

Try this setup; if there are still problems, you need to remove the SB drivers, run your disk or the newest drivers BUT DO A CUSTOM INSTALL - DRIVER ONLY!!! - and reboot.

When XP loads back up you won't have the stupid Creative CrashPlayer or anything else that gets anxious to update itself.

This has fixed every single SB that was 100% hardware-wise I have been confronted with.

The trick is to only install vital components.

Good luck,

FastVFR

11. G20man32904

G20man32904 Deceased

Thanks for the reply fast,
    I actually did that yesterday, moving the card to another slot and re-installed just the drivers, didnt help. So then I really was tweaking about this and for the nuts of it I swapped out the cables from the sub to the card front to back and found I had a cable that wasn't making a good contact unless I beat it in there, wiggled it left 4x then right 2x while standing on my head and waving my right arm approx 1.8inches.....So I went and picked up a new cable and sure enough 5.1 surround sound again. ;g
    Good thing I am already bald ;f
    thanks for all the replies