close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Creating your own targets

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by ah141nj, Jan 3, 2010.

1. ah141nj

ah141nj

Not sure what forum this belongs in, so I apologize if I am in the wrong one.

Looking to find out what computer program(s) I would need if I wanted to create my own targets?
    Even changing downloadable targets from the internet, what can I use?
    What do you guys use to make up your own targets?

2. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Making your own?... Man I dunno. I think the costs of ink, would offset any benefit. I use the ones below, they are cheap, bright, and I like them...

http://www.ez2ctargets.com/

As for what you could use... You could probably use GIMP or Paint to do it.... Guess it all depends on what you want to make.

IGF

3. Jeremy_K

Jeremy_K

I prefer old frying pans or brake rotors.

4. Linux3

Linux3

5. MavsX

MavsX The Dude Abides

yeah just get them off the internet..then use your works color copier to print them out lol

6. Furant

Furant Millennium Member

I've used Microsoft Visio to create targets of dots and typical concentric circles. If you don't have Visio, use the OpenOffice.org Draw application.

I think a sheet with 8-10 two inch dots are excellent for close shots practicing trigger control and target acquisition. These don't have to use much ink if you apply patterns to the shapes. Let me know if you have any ideas or need any help creating something in OOo Draw.

7. Halojumper

Halojumper

I've used PowerPoint to put some circles and shapes on bowling pin pictures.

8. sciolist

sciolist

I've been using autocad, but I'm an architect, so that just happens to be a skill I have developed for other purposes. I'm also a noob shooter, so my approach may change with time.

I started by drawing targets that I thought would suit my purposes, based on having used some store-bought ones. Then I got into modifying the targets as I went. For example, my first target was an a basic circular design on an 8.5x11 sheet. Then I went to six circles on a 24x36 sheet. I live out in the relative sticks, so there are no indoor ranges - we just go out and shoot on BLM land, etc. So there's no automated methodology for swapping targets - hence the 6-pack design.

Now I'm back into the 8.5x11 thing, and I go through a lot of targets in a session. One thing I noticed (and bear in mind I am new at this) is that it's nice to be able to see all your hits if you're shooting 10 or 20 yards out. For shooting 30 or 40 yards out though, you need much higher contrast in the target picture - at least I do, lol. So one approach I took was to make a 10/20 yard target with just a black circle at the bullseye. That way I can see bullseye hits without having to approach the target. My 20/30/40 yard targets have solid black bullseyes though, to give a better picture. You can't see the center hits that far out anyway.

Another thing I do is to cover my backboard (white foamcore) with blank paper before each session. Sometimes I take multiple backboards, to keep the outlying hits to a minimum. Shooting from 30 yards at a single 7" target in the center of an otherwise blank 24x36 white field gives pretty good visual feedback without my having to approach the target too often.

What I'm finding (at least for now) is that I like to refresh the target after 5 or no more than 10 shots. So I might tape up three targets, shoot 5 rounds at the top one from 10 yards, then another 5 rounds at 10, then 5 rounds at the middle one from 20, another 5 from 20, and move back to 30 yards for 2 sets of 5 at the bottom target. Then I grab three more targets out of my bag and go tape them up over the previous ones.

Just PDF'ing the 8.5x11's out of autocad to a standard printer seems to work fine - waaaay more cost/time effective than buying targets. I have a color printer too, but B/W seems to work just fine.

9. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

LOL... then when they get the bill from someone for all that ink and say, "Who the **** printed off 300 color pages of Osama bin Laden" ;)

Might have some 'splainin to do.

IGF