close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Creatine?

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning' started by Glock19Fan, Mar 9, 2006.

1. Glock19Fan

Glock19Fan Cool Guy

Hey everyone!

While my maxes seem to be doing pretty well right now, I seem to be burning out before I am even done with a workout.

I hear that creatine can increase your energy, and help you workout longer to build even more muscle, but it sounds too good to be true.

Are there any negative side effects with taking this? Also what is everyones experience with it?

Thanks!

2. DocAmentler

DocAmentler Semper Fidelis!

The negatives that I found when using it several years ago were increased fluid retention, which would make sense in something called a "cell volumizer" and consequently slower run times in the PFT. I decided lean and mean was better when the 1st Sargeant was watching us.;f

3. BCR

BCR BIGASS!!!!

I'll give my 2 cents, but I am no expert.

Creatine draws water into the mucles and causes it to be retained. This is why Creatine makers can claim you may add 10 pounds to your weight in 2 weeks. It is actually true, but it isn't muscle you're gaining, it's water weight. While taking Creatine you want to drink a lot of extra water to avoid dehydration, as water will be drawn away from other organs.

Creatine doesn't really give you more endurance type energy for longer workouts, it gives your muscles more energy to lift more weight in short bursts, via boosting ATP levels in the muscle. Creatine is beneficial when looking for explosive type strength gains(as in weight lifting).

Creatine may help you, but I haven't read up on it lately and am not sure if there are any new breaking discoveries about it.

It does seem to be one of the better supplements that has real merit, with a strong following and it hasn't dropped off the market.

The only slight negatives I've heard are that your gains will diminish when you stop taking Creatine, and in some rare cases it can be taxing on your kidneys. There's a thing called Creatinine, which is also a byproduct of Creatine, and raised levels of this are toxic and a sign that your kindeys aren't functioning properly. Make sure you aren't having any problems urinating while taking Creatine. This is quite rare though, IIRC.

I personally have used Creatine about 3 times. The first was a long time ago when I first started lifting and made decent gains, and the other 2 times i didn't notice anything at all.

Maybe someone else here will have better info for you. Or do some searching online for ideas.

4. Armchair Commando

Armchair Commando Long Range Guru

Your own body makes creatine so the side effects are only gaining water weight. As for being burned out before the end of your routine, Sorry man creatine isn't gonna push you to the finish line. It might give you a extra rep in a set but that's about it. Those extra reps here and there do add up however over the course of time which is a benefit. In order for creatine to work effectively you need a transport system to get it into your muscles more effectively than creatine and water alone. That's why i liked phosphagen HP. I contains Dextrose which helps out alot in the transport system!

5. voraus

voraus

I agree with most of the comments made about it. I usually cycle creatine, 6 weeks on 6 weeks off to avoid a theoretical risk that your body will diminish its natural output when constantly using the supplement. I'm not sure if any new research has proved or disproved the theory. There are also quite a bit of disparity in the quality and composition of creatine on the market.

I think you should also make sure that you are periodizing your workouts correctly. In my experience, periodization, variety and getting proper rest is actually more beneficial than creatine or any other supplement I've taken in maintaining a good workout strategy. I'm 56 and its specially true since I hit about 40.

6. Mister Joshua

Mister Joshua Sig Addiction

Dextrose: $.90 per pound ($.06 per 30gm serving)
    Creatine: $14.50 per 500gm ($.15 per 5gm serving)

Phospagen XT (best price on Froogle: $35.96 per container, 18 servings per container)

Dextrose/Creatine: $.21 per serving
    Phospagen XT: $2.00 per serving

I'm just sayin...

P.S. Creatine isn't "produced" by your body. It is a naturally occuring amino acid found in red meat and fish. 5gm equals about 2kg (about 4 1/2 lbs) of these foods creatine content. Creatine works by increasing phosphorus levels, replenishing ATP stores in your muscles during strenous training. ATP is burned before carbs, fat, and protein for muscular energy - so the longer your ATP stores are refilled, the longer, theoretically, you can train. Creatine also, by increasing ATP stores and expanding muscular fiber, increases the amount of water retained in your muscle fiber, resulting in a big, yet "smoothed" look.

Creatine Monohydrate cannot be improved by one brand name over another.

7. Armchair Commando

Armchair Commando Long Range Guru

A French scientist first discovered creatine in 1832, but it was not until 1923 that scientists discovered that over 95% of creatine is stored in muscle tissue. The first published report of creatine having bodybuilding effects was The Journal of Biological Chemistry in, get this, 1926! Although we've known about creatine for quite some time, the first real use of it to enhance performance was the 1992 Olympic games in Barcelona, Spain.

So, what is creatine? Our bodies naturally make the compound, which is used to supply energy to our muscles. It is produced in the liver, pancreas, and kidneys, and is transported to the body's muscles through the bloodstream. Once it reaches the muscles, it is converted into phosphocreatine (creatine phosphate). This high-powered metabolite is used to regenerate the muscles' ultimate energy source, ATP (adenosine triphosphate).

8. Mister Joshua

Mister Joshua Sig Addiction

I should have worded it better, and not been so "matter-of-factly" about it... lets say that "supplemental creatine" is not produced by the human body.

Supplemental creatine is absorbed as creatine, not "formed" in the body by supplementing with creatine components. i.e., it doesn't work like sugar, converting to glycogen in the liver, to refuel your muscles...

Creatine is an amino acid. Yes, we make some (as do all animals that use ATP when their muscles function). The amount we make is not adequate (for excessive training) according to those that supplement with it.

Additionally, there is no need to cycle creatine, it is non-horomonal, and dosen't downregulate your own phospocreatine production (as creatine production is not a pituitary response, it's a digestive response).

9. Jo Mama

Jo Mama

I have used creatine off and on for almost 10 years. I think it absolutely has merit and is one of the best suppliments you can take. Before I started taking it though I would make sure I was eating enough protein and getting enough sleep. If you are doing those things already I say go for it.

Without creatine I have trouble benchpressing more than 225 lbs for 5 sets of six reps. When taking it I've gone as high as 265 lbs for 5 sets of six reps. People usually can tell when i've begun cycling it again because it thicken up quick in my back mostly.

The best creatine i've found is Met-rex micronized creatine. I mix it with grape juice and take it just before a workout. I'm sure there is other good stuff out there but I've had the best results with Met-rex. Don't get the stuff with sugar and flavor added, just a waist of money, mix with juice and your good.