close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Creatine and Protein question

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning' started by twostepct, Jan 25, 2007.

1. twostepct

twostepct

I have recently started lifting again after a little over a year long lazy spell. The last time I lifted I was taking in roughly 1g of protein per pound of body weight and cellmass creatine. I started out decent, but then noticed that the amount I was able to lift dropped off by about 20lbs on each excercise. I am not taking the creatine this time around, but I am still taking the protein. This time, however, I am actually seeing my lifts going up in weight versus down. The 'pump' seems to be the same after the workouts that I remember having with the creatine. Since creatine draws water into the muscle is it possible that this caused my loss in strength? I am doing low reps at high weight if this helps. Thanks!

2. BCR

BCR BIGASS!!!!

I doubt that the creatine caused your loss in strength.

Creatine raises ATP levels, which the muscles use for energy. So usually when taking creatine you can use a little more weight or get a couple of more reps.

Creatine doesn't always work for everyone. I've used it at times where it worked, and then tried it years later and got nothing.

Did you get weaker while taking the creatine, or after you stopped taking it?

I also suggest trying to eat more then 1g of protein per pound of bodyweight. Try for atleast 1.5g if you can.

I weigh about 190 and take in 330g of protein a day.

3. twostepct

twostepct

Ok, thanks. That was my first time using the ethyl esther creatine and I didn't know if maybe that was a bi-product or not. I feel alot better now after lifting than I did with it though. The strength loss came after we started working out. It may be all in my head, but I don't feel the same way this time. I will up my protein up to around what you said. I weigh about 187 so it should work out ok. Thanks!

4. mossy500camo

mossy500camo ammo found

Man! I'm just opposite of you. Creatine in my MIND seems to help me tremendously. Whey protein helps too. But I prefer Turkey, chicken, tuna.

5. DBradD

DBradD

I'm reading Paleo Diet for Athletes and believe it or not, those guys recommend protein powder at specific times. I never would've guess that!

6. malkore

malkore

you may have been over training, or your diet wasn't sufficient, and that's why your lifts started to decline instead of increase. An occassional bad day at the gym is normal, but a consistent decline usually points to something being wrong, and it wasn't the creatine.
    Likely it was diet (not enough food, or the wrong foods), not enough sleep or recovery between workouts for the same body part (even if you weren't sore), or just too much ambition for your fitness level.

Creatine is one of the few supplements that actually works. plain monohydrate works for most. Ethyl ester should be used if monohydrate doesn't seem to work for you or if it gives you side effects.

ditch creatines mixed with sugar, or NO2, or caffine, or the combination of any of those...because its just not necessary. a teaspoon a day in a protein shake, particularly right after your workout, is all you need to get the benefits.

And don't feel like creatine is necessary either. it has benefits, but its not a 'make or break' supplement.

7. California Jack

California Jack Millennium Member