close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Crazy

Discussion in 'Heckler & Koch Forum' started by RS7, Mar 23, 2010.

1. RS7

RS7

Has anyone, ever, had a problem with the HK P7? If so? What?

2. JNKIRK1974

JNKIRK1974

I haven't had any problems with it, but it's a little more complicated than a USP. So, it wouldn't surprise me if it eventually had some problems. It's an older gun and requires some love.

Have you noticed some issues?

3. H&K 4 LIFE

H&K 4 LIFE Leonum A Ignis

Are you having an issue with your P7?

With a little help, I'm certain you can correct just about any problem. :)

4. GreyEclipse

GreyEclipse TheGreyEclipse

It's not all that crazy. Mechanical failures are bound to happen.
    Yes, even with the amazing H&K.

5. RS7

RS7

I've shot the snot out of my P7 and it won't quit. I was wanting other opinions before I buy another. Shoots a bit dirty, but the P7 is the BRUCE. I was just wondering about mechanical failures. Anyone? I'm going to carry this pistol.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2010
  6. JNKIRK1974

JNKIRK1974

I would definitely buy one. I've never heard of people experiencing problems with them. Obviously, it takes a little bit of maintenance (over time), but it is a veru high quality German firearm. Definitely buy another one if you have the means to do so!

7. H&K 4 LIFE

H&K 4 LIFE Leonum A Ignis

Well I've broken a few parts. I bought my P7M8 used. The previous owner had obviously shot the gun to hell, and then refinished it covering up most of the wear. I didn't know much about these pistols at the time of purchase, I know alot more now.

First, I broke the sear lever. Broke it right in half across the small manufacturing witness hole in the part. Was tough finding another one too. Numrich finally had the "super sear levers", was about $60.

Next, I cracked the firing pin bushing. It too broke in half. The pistol would still fire even with a broken firing pin bushing. My local dealer replaced it for me, let me take it out of a P7 PSP (the PSP style bushing is interchangeable with the raised M8 style). I will probably buy another M8 bushing at some point, they're about $100.

So yes I have broken a few parts in the past.

I've also done all the repair work on the pistol myself and learned alot about it. It now runs great. :)
    ---------------------------------------------

Some of the things you want to look for in a used P7 are...

Drop safety catch and spring- make sure they are present and in their correct location.

Firing pin bushing- Free of cracks/damage

Gas piston- Edges of gas rings sharp. Piston should be completely straight and unbent.

The slide should function briskly by hand, any sluggishness is usually a clear indicator of a fouled gas system in need of scraping and cleaning.

~H&K 4 LIFE

Last edited: Mar 24, 2010
  8. RS7

RS7

Thanks for the replies. Although I'm very impressed with almost every aspect of this pistol, parts availability and cost are definately something to take into consideration.

9. raydoctor

raydoctor

If you shoot them enough, they're gonna break. I have many thousands of rounds through various M8s & M13s. H&K 4 LIFE went through some of the more common areas. I've broken multiple firing pin bushings, a transmission bar, a disconnect, multiple drop safety springs, and a few sear bars. That sounds like a lot but these guns are pretty robust for their complexity IMO. I treat mine like "guns" and I've shot them ALOT. They are built like tanks. I don't know what voodoo HK puts into the springs in the M13 mags but I have never had to replace one. I've had very few stoppages in many rounds down range. That includes thunderstorms, snow, etc. I've literally poured water out of my mags and reloaded them. I could go on and on. They're not perfect by any means, but they're cool guns.

10. RS7

RS7

Thanks again for the replies. Although I really love the P7, using a 28 year old pistol as a carry gun without a reliable/affordable supply of parts makes no sense to me. I'll probably sell the P7. Too much to have tied up in something I'll never use for anything but a range toy. It is, however, really, really, cool.

11. majette

majette

hk has excellent customer service and parts are available. the fact that yours is 28 years old and going strong is a testament to the design, not a detriment. affordable parts may be a different story. i carry my 25 year old p7m8 daily without trepidation.

12. RS7

RS7

Availability of parts is my main concern. I guess I'll buy another so I have a back-up until parts arrive. I love everything about the way this pistol handles. I let a friend fire it at the range last week. His reaction to the recoil was, "9mm? Really? That's it?" My reply, "Yup". Every time I think of getting rid of it, I pick it up and can't wait to get to the range. Oh well, I guess there are worse fates. I'm a believer. Thanks again to all for the helpful replies