Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings Y'all.

I recently picked up a brand new Gen 5 G34 MOS, the version with the front slide serrations and no half-moon cut-out on the grip. Overall, I love the gun, this is the Glock I've been waiting for - the grooveless grip finally fits me, there's no cut-out in top of the slide, the long slide balances awesome, great velocities with the longer barrel, etc. So far, it's run like a champ, approx 200 rounds and only one feed-failure when my wife limp-wristed it with some low power target ammo.

However - wow - I have never in my life seen a pistol (or or rifle) extractor get a tighter grip on a round. It gets such a grip on the brass that my wife cannot eject a unfired round for love or money, and I myself (6 ft, 250lbs, typical 'big guy' size) have to adjust my position so I have good leverage heave hard and fast so the slide has some momentum when the brass hits the ejector, or I can't do it either. Now, I've not owned all that many brand-new pistols in my life, but I have owned a few (including a G17 Gen 2.5 and a Gen 3 G19), none of which had anything even remotely like this kind of extractor tension.

Anyway, as I said, the gun seems to run fine, but this really seems Not Right(tm) to me. Am I just being overly sensitive and this will break in with some more use, or does this sound like a problem I should look to have addressed?

Thanks in advance,

·
Registered
3,824 Posts
Apparently, the recent breech-face-notch, on the other (left-side) side of the breech face, is causing this issue.

I've read somewhere on the internet other folks are experiencing this issue.

I'd say it's a minor inconvenience compared to the earlier brass-to-face issue.

Reactions: Mike-M

·
Registered
942 Posts
What L-2 said. On my Gen5 19 MOS, when I want to eject a live round, I pull the slide back slowly to where it wants to stop, then work it back and forth and let the round drop out the magwell. You can eject it with a stout slide retraction but if you look at the bullet tip it's probably deformed or scratched. It's much more of a problem with hollow points.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ahhhhhh, I C said the programmer. I knew I came to the right spot to ask. :)

Yep, there's like a cut out in the slide on the left side that the case rim fits into, and sure enough, the extractor wedges it in there so that the round has to tip back to eject - which with a live round, means the tip of the bullet his the barrel hard. Well then, I guess we just live with that and I'll learn to do Nagoya10's shake and drop maneuver.

I presume this feature also explains why this thing is such a serious brass chucker. Even my light target loads (124 grain berrys at about 1000FPS (or at least they were 1000FPS in my old Gen3 G19 - I haven't chrony'd them in the longer 34 barrel)), it kicks event those about 10 to 15 feet in a pretty random pattern between 2 and 5 oclock off my right shoulder. My +P self defense stuff it kicks in the same direction/pattern, but with slightly better distance.

Anyhoo - mystery solved - carry on. :)

·
Registered
8,845 Posts
I general, the extractor/breech face nexus tends to smooth out or loosen up just a little over time. So this may be self-correcting. My P365 XL, for example, would not consistently go into battery when new, and it self-corrected over time. I suspect that the new cartridge was not getting up under the extractor at first.

·
Proud NRA Life Patron Member, Life GSSF member
8,910 Posts
Hmmm, I see a problem if the op wants to compete and is asked to show clear on the line.

Appreciate you sharing your issue(s) with the Gen 5’s.

ps if this works itself Out please share in the future.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I will report back if it works itself out. In the meantime, I have found that if I pull the slide back with an overhand grip that leaves my index finger on the slide hand free, once it hits the stop, I can just push the round downward with my index finger and it will drop free through the mag-well. Somewhat annoying, but now that I know the trick, plenty fast (and safe) for clearing the gun while at the range.

The only other quirk I have found in the G34 Gen5 (possibly related to the extractor thing we're talking about here), is that my Red Dot powered 147 grain XTP loads I like to keep for nightstand/bump in the night use won't cycle the action hard enough to lock the slide back on the last round - which makes me nervous its close enough to short stroking that I wouldn't trust this combo for SD use. The same loads cycle my Sig 226 and my old G19 reliably (albeit fairly gently). I presume that's due to the longer barrel and slide on the G34 having more mass, and maybe related to the extra force required to kick the brass out when it hits the extractor (even fired brass takes a bit of a snap at the extractor to kick it). Kind of a bummer, as these are ideal home defense loads (IMHO) -- Red Dot burns so fast, that muzzle flash is near zero, recoil is minimal, and muzzle pressure is very low, so it's extremely quiet (for a gun) - about as loud as your typical 22LR pistol. And despite the drastically reduced shock and awe, they still run within a whisker of 900FPS, which is enough for that bullet to do what it does at inside-the-house ranges. Oh well, I'll figure something else out - Green Dot might be enough extra juice to run the action, without adding too much flash and bang.

·
Premium Member
5,282 Posts
I will report back if it works itself out. In the meantime, I have found that if I pull the slide back with an overhand grip that leaves my index finger on the slide hand free, once it hits the stop, I can just push the round downward with my index finger and it will drop free through the mag-well. Somewhat annoying, but now that I know the trick, plenty fast (and safe) for clearing the gun while at the range.

The only other quirk I have found in the G34 Gen5 (possibly related to the extractor thing we're talking about here), is that my Red Dot powered 147 grain XTP loads I like to keep for nightstand/bump in the night use won't cycle the action hard enough to lock the slide back on the last round - which makes me nervous its close enough to short stroking that I wouldn't trust this combo for SD use. The same loads cycle my Sig 226 and my old G19 reliably (albeit fairly gently). I presume that's due to the longer barrel and slide on the G34 having more mass, and maybe related to the extra force required to kick the brass out when it hits the extractor (even fired brass takes a bit of a snap at the extractor to kick it). Kind of a bummer, as these are ideal home defense loads (IMHO) -- Red Dot burns so fast, that muzzle flash is near zero, recoil is minimal, and muzzle pressure is very low, so it's extremely quiet (for a gun) - about as loud as your typical 22LR pistol. And despite the drastically reduced shock and awe, they still run within a whisker of 900FPS, which is enough for that bullet to do what it does at inside-the-house ranges. Oh well, I'll figure something else out - Green Dot might be enough extra juice to run the action, without adding too much flash and bang.
If something were to strike the round with your finger in there... I guess I just prefer racking and letting the round fall. I do understand you have a bit of a dilemma, and that clearing normally is tough, but having hands or fingers over the ejection port always makes me imagine bad things...

I have a Gen4 G34, and will interested to follow this to learn more. It may make me think twice about moving to a Gen5. Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am not seeing the concern with something striking the round - what would strike it or otherwise cause something bad to happen? Sure, I'd prefer to rack and let it drop (which can be done with some wiggling of the slide back and fort with the gun pointed magwell straight down), but that is a fair bit slower and more tedious than pulling back the slide and giving the round a shove as I described.

As to Gen4 vs Gen5, I am over far happier with the Gen5 vs a Gen3 or Gen4, despite this little hic-up. The positives:

The Gen5 G34 does not have that big cut-out on the top of the slide (I'd upgrade for this alone).

The Gen5's do not have those horribly uncomfortable (to me anyway) finger groves of the 3/4 gen (I'd upgrade for this alone)

The Gen5's can all barrel interchange, so as soon as my factory/Glock threaded barrel shows up for the G34 (already ordered), I will have a "free" extended barrel for my (coming soon) Gen5 G19 (neat benefit, I would not upgrade just for this).

The flared mag-well of the Gen5 is nice (neat benefit, I would not upgrade just for this)

The only negative I've found so far is this extractor thing; which may well shake itself out after I run a few hundred rounds through it and wear/break in makes things start to loosen up. Oh, and the ambi slide release - I could totally do without that (but I'm not overly offended that it has that).

Anyway, if it doesn't rain this weekend, I have a private range on my back 40, I'll take it out and run a few hundred rounds of Power Pistol +P through it, and see how much she does (or doesn't) loosen up, and report back.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts