Crap... Time for another wireless router...

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by JFrame, Jul 18, 2019.

1. JFrame

JFrame

I'll be dropping a few dimes soon on a new wireless router, but just wanted to get people's thoughts on the various brands in the meantime.

My latest router (Netgear AC1750 Model R6400v2) is starting to drop connection every 6-12 hours or thereabouts, requiring an off/on reset.

I've been a pretty die-hard Netgear purchaser, but I'm starting to get disenchanted. My first Netgear router (can't recall the model) lasted at least a decade. My next router (N750 Premium Edition WNDR4300) started doing the crap-outs after a couple of years. My latest router (referenced above) was purchased in January 2018, making it just about 1 1/2 years old.

This is a pretty dismal trend.

I'm ready to give other manufacturers a shot.

So -- assuming a certain amount of parity on features such as ease of set-up, range, throughput, etc. -- does the GT think-tank have any recommendations on manufacturers with whom they have a reasonable comfort for extended reliability? :dunno:

2. Gun Shark

Gun Shark

I have had good experiences with $200-$300 Asus’s.

I have read good things about ubiquiti’s Amplifi systems.

I currently use Unifi hardware and love it, but I’m ready for them to replace their dated routers which are old. Their AP’s are a lot newer and awesome for the price though imho.

Low_Speed and JFrame like this.

3. dudel

dudel

I can recommend Ubiquiti gear. Get the EdgeRouter X, then add as many UniFi access points (AP) as you need for coverage. One of the APs will be hard wired to the router, the rest (if needed) communicate wirelessly. They all use the same SSID, so you aren't changing setting as you move between routers and extensions. Lots of controls to keep the network secure.

It's well above consumer grade; but not at an enterprise cost. The EdgeRouter X is a true gigabit router at each port (unlike some which claim gigabit capacity, but it's an aggregate of all ports). Makes a difference if you do file transfers between machines. The UniFi APs have very good range with dual radios. The support true dual band operation. 5Ghz band is good to 887Mbps, 2.4Ghz band good to 300Mbps. When mounted to a wall or ceiling, they look like a smoke detector (no funky antennae sticky out). One UniFi AP is good for up to 400ft coverage (depending on your location). If you add a second AP, you can move it around as needed to provide coverage in areas you don't normally need coverage. No reconfiguration needed.

Very slick stuff.

Pierre!, JMag and JFrame like this.
  4. wyntrout

wyntrout

I just ordered this one under Prime Day:
    NETGEAR Nighthawk Smart WiFi Router (R6700) - AC1750 Wireless Speed (up to 1750 Mbps) | Up to 1500 sq ft Coverage & 25 Devices | 4 x 1G Ethernet and 1 x 3.0 USB ports | Armor Security

I looked at all of the ones on sale and this one "seemed" like the best deal. I didn't see enough info onsite but I'm getting more into streaming with Fire TV Sticks and a Roku. When our 2-year commitment is up in October, I want to get away from satellite TV... had it with DirecTV and DISH.
    I don't like any of our choices but I do have an external antenna and 5 or 6 OTA HDTV recorders that I don't use.
    I could get by without a TV provider, but Wifey likes convenience and ease of regular channel selection. We'll have to see when I can get rid of DirecTV. I just increased my commitment with AT&T for fiber optic 100Mbps. so I should have enough bandwidth to "get by".
    I just hope this router will do.
    Wynn

oldengineer, johnmltb and JFrame like this.
  5. Gun Shark

Gun Shark

I love them. I may eventually have to get an edge router if they don’t update their unifi line. Everything is rock solid though, and I just love the single pain of glass.

I have two ceiling mounted ACHD’s that are just amazing. I installed a wall mounted IW pro and IW HD at two family members homes with the baby USG 3p... can’t say enough good things about ubiquiti unifi’s stability in my environment. I just wish they were more bleeding edge with their routers.

JFrame likes this.
  6. JFrame

JFrame

Thanks for the recommendation. I confess to being gun-shy with Netgear after having two of their routers fail me over a 4 year period... :(

7. dudel

dudel

Check out the EdgeRouter X. It's some amazing stuff, and well priced. Recommended to me by a buddy that knows his security from a large financial firm in San Antonio.

8. JFrame

JFrame

Much appreciate the various thoughts and recommendations!

I've never even heard of the Ubiquiti line... :shocked:

I'll have to give them a thorough look-see... :)

9. dudel

dudel

This is what you need:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00YFJT29C/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and this (you can add more if you need to cover a larger area. They automagically mesh)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DRM6MLI/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have two of the second (APs). It replaced a bunch of Netgear stuff and extenders. The second AP is not needed, but I can roam it to cover areas that aren't normally covered.

10. Gun Shark

Gun Shark

I may get one for my home lab to tinker with... but I want something more powerful for the main rack.

11. Gun Shark

Gun Shark

bdcochran likes this.
  12. dudel

dudel

Amazon had faster delivery. BH photo would be fine.

bdcochran and Gun Shark like this.
  13. Gun Shark

Gun Shark

They have been doing expedited shipping to some areas, so it’s only by a day or two.

14. JFrame

JFrame

Great info, guys... Continued thanks! :)

15. JFrame

JFrame

I've been poring through some of the questions on the EdgeRouter X, and I see comments keep coming up along the lines of "if you have to ask that question, get a simpler router."

The set-up quotient for this hardware might be a little higher than my tech pea-brain can muster. o_O

What would your thoughts be as to this Ubiquiti wireless router, which seems more along the lines of a standard home router set-up? :dunno:

https://www.amazon.com/AmpliFi-Ubiq...refix=ubiquiti+wireless+router,aps,116&sr=8-3

16. wyntrout

wyntrout

I don't have a background with WIFI routers, but I had all kinds of wired ones, including NetGear stuff... still do those plug in the ac outlets, but I don't don't think any are in use.
    I can't really recommend what I bought. i was looking for a bargain and one with USB3.0. I can plug an external drive in that... have many external HD's and one 2TB USB3.0.
    I was looking at low prices and features and in a hurry... did get a second Fire TV Stick for $16 something delivered in under 24 hours. I bought one a month or so ago for $32 or so delivered... easier to use, especially with Prime Video. Now maybe I can use the BT without losing signal while streaming. :)

JFrame likes this.
  17. Gun Shark

Gun Shark

I have read good things about their AmpliFi product line. However I haven’t used it myself.

https://www.amplifi.com

dudel and JFrame like this.
  18. dudel

dudel

Ubiquiti support is awesome. No experience with other than the EdgeRouter X. I tapped only a fraction of the capabilities.

JFrame likes this.
  19. TheDreadnought

TheDreadnought

I just rent mine from the provider for $10/mo. Anytime it starts acting up, I just trade it in and get a new one. Doesn't matter to me if it lasts 3 months, or 3 years.

20. JFrame

JFrame

Hmmm... That's an interesting thought. Just checked with our cable provider, and to add wireless support would be about $132/year... I guess it's a crap-shoot, but at that fee cost, I'd have paid for the price of a new router in that time, with the hoped-for possibility that the life of the existing router would go beyond that.

I appreciate the suggestion, and thinking outside of the box. :)

TheDreadnought likes this.