close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Craigslist Code?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by 10 Ring Tao, Sep 22, 2006.

1. 10 Ring Tao

10 Ring Tao Red White Blue

Craigslist is out of kali, and as such has a ridiculous and over-reaching terms of service in regards to anything remotely weapon like.

So, I think I'm going to put up a site with a similar format to craigslist, but for gun type stuff only. Basically anything fancy pants craig didn't want sold on his site.

My question to you guys, is how hard would craigslist's code be to emulate? The anonymized email, attaching 2 pictures to each post, being able to report spam and verboten ads, etc.

I was thinking of basing it on a forum, but then you would have to require registering with a unique email address. Is there a way to customize any of the available forum software to provide for anonymous posting of ads?

Thanks guys.

For those wondering, I've managed several forums, and built a number of sites from scratch using premade CMSs, but never had to deal with coding/scripting a site from scratch.

2. David_G17

David_G17 /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

While their specific code is likely proprierary, if this is something you are seriously looking into, I could code the whole thing from scratch in PHP (as could any decent Web Developer).

Are you thinking about providing a free service, or is this something ppl would pay to access or post to?

3. 10 Ring Tao

Ok good, so this wouldn't be all that difficult to get off the ground and running, from an infrastructure point of view.

Are you offering some kind of partnership? I'd have no problem splitting any extra after the hosting and bandwidth costs are taken care of.

It would be the same as craigslist, a free classified service meant for local dealings.

Of course I'm neither naive or idealistic, so an ad system or banners would have to be a part of the site. Hopefully well integrated, like those here on GT. That or present a page before they post the ad to give them the option of donating if they found the service useful.

4. MikeG22

MikeG22 CLM

Craigslist has the benifit that it's so wide reaching all over the country and for just about anything that gets lots of traffic. That would be the hardest thing to buildup is the users and whatnot to make it viable, kinfa like the problem eric had with outdoorbiddur. Done right it could be cool if there was enough penatration. But with classifieds on all the gun forums anyhow it might be tough to gain enough traction.

5. 10 Ring Tao

True, but finding a local deal on the existing sites is a huge crap shoot.

My idea wouldn't compete with gunbroker or other nationally targeted sites, because there really isn't anything totally free, that you don't have to register for, that is dedicated to listings by city and state.

6. MikeG22

MikeG22 CLM

True, I forget some of you lucky people can do a normal face to face with no FFL involved that would make it nice. I wonder if you could put an ad in the sporting goods classifieds in the cities you do it for to help start to get the word out. Could be cool.

7. grindchug

grindchug Motörhead

I could probably host this starting off.. I get a whole lot of bandwidth per month and I have not been using much at all.. Having a free gun classifieds page would be a lot easier than me searching 10 different forums everytime I want to buy something:banana: