close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Crab Grass ?'s

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Averageman, Jun 22, 2012.

1. Averageman

Averageman

I deployed and came home to some patches of crab grass that have spread a bit on my otherwise pristine lawn.
    Other than getting on my hands and knees and pulling it out by hand, what's the fix?
    Thanks

2. kiole

kiole

Most effective solution will be a liquid crab grass control product. Lowes and homedepot will carry something that will work. Use a granular for prevention and liquid for spot treatment of post emergent crab grass. The granular stuff can work for post emergent but the liquid is usually more effective. Also apply granular crab grass control in the fall and spring for year long protection.

3. Averageman

Averageman

Hmmmm, thanks.
    Obviously my weed and feed and cutting it.

4. hoghunter82

hoghunter82 FL Glocker #182

Other than pulling it out, I've had success with Arm & Hammer baking soda sprinkled on the area. Make sure the grass is wet when you apply the baking soda. I know it sounds weird, but it works. Try it on a small area if u want to test it. Turns the crab grass brown/almost orange and does not hurt the grass. Keep in mind I have St. Augustine sod.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

5. kiole

kiole

Also make sure if you use a herbicide liquid or granular you read and follow the directions, depending on your grass type you may need different products.

Weed and feed wont touch the crab grass the most effective thing is a pre-emergent application of crab grass control products. You can get it under control post emergent but it's more work

Last edited: Jun 22, 2012
  6. Kloogee

Kloogee

In my experience, crab grass is a booger to eradicate once it's set in. You'll probably have to hit it multiple times with the liquid stuff Kyle mentioned. Make sure to get it gone before it goes to seed. Then make sure you are religious with the pre-emergent granular each fall/spring to prevent it from coming back. In my case it took about three years to get it from coming back.

7. Minnow

Minnow

This time of year, if there aren't too many, I might be willing to use the hose to soften the dirt up and pull them up by hand. Follow that up with some spot overseeding along with a cheap top soil thinly covering the seed for germination. Follow that with twice a day watering for two weeks so your seed takes off. This time of year I'm feeding my lawn about every 30-45 days with a urea (slow release) based high nitrogen fertilizer. Something like 35-0-5 for a nice dark green lawn of Burmuda along with St. Augustine in the shaded areas. I mow every week, once.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2012