GlockTalk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Addicted Member
843 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I miss my Grand Cherokee. Except the gas mileage. It was a V8 AWD that didn't even get 15 mpg. I have a Camry now and it's OK. I'm probably going to be driving further this fall and winter to work and am looking at going back to an SUV by summer. I've been pricing new SUV's and after looking at gas mileage and features I've come down to these four. They are all rated well and have the features I like as options. Seems like price will be about the same with the XV being a lil cheaper than the rest. What does the braintrust have to say about these vehicles?

·
Registered
9,207 Posts
I like Toyotas and Subarus personally. The Forester is a Subaru right? I like those. Who makes the XV?

·
Registered
8,215 Posts
My wife has a RAV4 V6 that she likes a lot, but they don't make the V6 model anymore.

·
NRA Life Member
14,380 Posts
I chose the CR-V, based on price and fit and finish. RAV4 was a bit more expensive and we just liked the interior of the CR-V more than the Forester. I don't know anything about Crosstrek.

·
21,342 Posts
Does the Toyota Matrix still come in AWD?

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
We have a 2012 Rav4 that we've been really happy with. We liked the Subaru a lot but could not afford it.

The Rav4 is surprisingly roomy, reliable, economical, and comfortable. We've taken it on several road trips and it fit the bill perfectly.

In the horrible Orlando traffic I average 23mpg. On road trips I got 26-28mpg doing between 75-80.

My only gripe is that I think Toyota should offer a better warranty.

·
NRA Life Member
489 Posts
If winter driving conditions are going to be a regular issue the Subs are hard to beat. I had a 2003 Forrester and she seemed to only driver better as the weather got worse. Real AWD, low center of gravity, everything 'defrosts,' etc. They will get less mpg than the Honda/Toyota. They are heavier and the boxer engine is not as fuel efficient as an I4. Personal preference, I'd stay away from the CVT transmission.

·
Mountain Man
6,859 Posts
2014 Jeep Cherokee for the win!!

I have had my Cherokee Trailhawk for six days and I love it!!

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Wife owns 06 rav4, 4wd, 4cyl engine. 240k miles almost all of them at altitude in CO, snow, dirt roads, up and down grades from Denver to the mountains daily type of miles. Real rough life.

Still going, but the engine is getting tired some.

·
Registered
8,790 Posts
We have the 13 Rav4, not a single complaint and 30mpg, got it new for 23k and think the wife will keep it forever. The CRV is right beside it so either is a great choice.

·
Registered
15,224 Posts
Heck even look at the newer Grand Cherokee while obviously not in the same league as the ones you listed for MPG the new 4X4 v6 gets 24 mpg and the diesel 28 MPG.

oh and id go Cherokee over the ones listed or the Subaru. I really dont like the looks of the rav,hate the looks of the honda, plus i like subarus awd system better. But for me the cherokee gets around the same MPG while offering some TRUE off road ability if you ever need that(i get most dont)

·
WWJMBD?
2,247 Posts
I looked at, and drove them all when "cute utes" became the rage and ended up buying a '97 CRV for my wife. We gave that one away to my stepson with 300,000 miles on the odometer in 2010... it was in great shape, ran fine, and still burned no oil and we'd done nothing but routine maintenance. Based on that experience we replaced it with a new CRV. 60k on this one so far and I see no reason the new one shouldn't last just as long... or longer. Wife loves the new one, and I will say it's much more refined on the inside than our first one was.

There were reasons the Honda won out over each of its its competitors seventeen years ago (rear seat comfort, fit and finish, handling, overall "feel" of the vehicle, etc.). That said, having found something I like and deciding to stick with it I don't have any opinion on today's competitive crop... so take my single data point for what it's worth. But there's a reason CRVs are so ubiquitous.

·
Tin Kicker
10,394 Posts
2014 Jeep Cherokee for the win!!

I have had my Cherokee Trailhawk for six days and I love it!!

Have you gotten it into 9th gear yet?
I was this close to pulling the trigger on a TH.
Did some homework and decided to wait a year until Chrysler figures out what's wrong with their new tranny.

·
Mountain Man
6,859 Posts
Have you gotten it into 9th gear yet?
I was this close to pulling the trigger on a TH.
Did some homework and decided to wait a year until Chrysler figures out what's wrong with their new tranny.
I have not checked, but I doubt it. From what I read it seems like you need to be 70-80mph downhill to hit 9th gear.

They had some serious issues trying to figure out the correct shift mapping, but it appears that since the December 2013 update the trannys are running well. I am still shy of 1000 miles on mine, but mine works perfectly so far; no weird shifts, everything smooth and basically unnoticeable - no different than any old school traditional 4 speed auto.

I absolutely LOVE the adaptive cruise control!!!

·
Registered
7,947 Posts
We have been looking at those same choices as well. We have an older CRV and it has been bullet proof. The Forester and Crosstrek are great vehicles, but the reading I've done on the crosstrek is that it's somewhat underpowered. That was our first choice, but I'm hoping they'll up the horsepower in the next year or two. The Forester is currently the frontrunner on our list. The RAV 4 is definitely a competent vehicle, just that we're several miles away from the dealership, so it didn't make the cut.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts