close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

CQB/Home Defense Bullet?

Discussion in 'Band of Glockers' started by PMMA97, Jan 4, 2005.

1. PMMA97

PMMA97 TagaBundok

What is the best bullet configuration for a close quarters battle scenario? If a BG enters my home and the use of lethal force is warranted and very necessary, I would want the bullet to stay inside the perpetrator and not over penetrate.

2. flyboy 1

flyboy 1 Sir Yes Sir!!

What caliber and type is your firearm Pards? Also, if you do a search, there are lots of previous threads on the topic (best self-defense/carry loads). Cheers. ^1

3. PMMA97

PMMA97 TagaBundok

It's for 9mm and .45 bok :) Forgot about the site search function.^2

4. batangueno

batangueno Shock Resist

Use hollowpoints, preferably branded names like Remington, Winchester, Federal, Hornady, etc.

5. mc_oliver

mc_oliver

If you've got money to burn, the frangible glasers is another option. I think corbon also has frangible ammo but I forgot the name and where I saw it. It was also a lot cheaper than the glasers.

If your home is made of cement, I'd go for the hollowpoints. Kung mey mga plywood sa ibang areas, I'd get a similar wood and do some tests sa range.

Btw, anybody have a spare windshield I can shoot at?

6. flyboy 1

flyboy 1 Sir Yes Sir!!

Medyo complikadong topic Bok. Assuming we're only talking about bullet performance (putting aside proper shot placement, reliable functioning in your specific pistol and controllability for rapid follow-up shots - all of which are more important than the choice of ammo), here is my take on the matter:

For my 9mm SIG 228 I use Corbon 115gr +P Hollowpoints. 115gr rounds travelling at 1300+ fps are considered by some leading authorities / law enforcement agencies in the U.S. as among the most effective in this caliber, though there are certain fragmentation issues when penetrating through intermediate barriers. Other U.S. law enforcement agencies have opted for the 124gr or 127gr weights, citing better performance though commom mediums such as automotive glass. But for the majority of civilian self-defense scenarios (mostly face-to-face), the former would be quite ideal.

For .45 caliber, almost any hollowpoint would do you good (although Federal Hydra-Shok, Remington Golden Saber and Speer Gold Dot are popular performers in the U.S., assuming of course your gun works reliably with these). The reason is even if they do not expand, you simply end up with .45 cal sized projectiles, which are quite large to begin with and should give better stopping power than 9mm ball. Note, however, that both 9mm and .45 ball are notorious for overpenetrating the human body.

You can also opt for more specialized rounds such as Glasers or Magsafes, but their unbelievably high cost might discourage you from practicing with them (which is paramount with any load). Also, they might not feed reliably in the majority of autopistols, which could spell MAJOR inconvenience on your part in a life-threatening situation.

Since we're touching on the topic of reliability, it is worthy to note that not all pistol designs take kindly to hollowpoints (chalk one up for revolvers ;f ). So depending on what you have and it's performance with feeding hollowpoints, there will be some instances wherein you will want to trade bullet performance for feed reliability and stick to ball ammo.

My .02 centavos. ;)

7. mikey177

mikey177 Remember

Good post, flyboy 1. In addition, may I suggest that you look for a round that produces the least amount of muzzle flash and smoke. Try sampling different defensive rounds in a low-light environment. Shoot in dim light at an indoor range to see just how these two factors can impair your ability to see what's ahead of you after firing your first shots.

8. flyboy 1

flyboy 1 Sir Yes Sir!!

9. edizon

edizon

My Glock 21 magazine is loaded as follows: MagSafe's .45 ACP SUPER SWAT load (2160 fps) for bullets #1-3. It's then followed with Corbon's Pow'Rball +P 165gr at 1225 fps (bullets #4-6), and finally, bullets #7-10 are Corbon +P 165gr JHP(1250 fps).

But if you don't want to miss with only a one-shot opportunity as in most cases, get a home defense shotgun, like my semi-auto Benelli M1 Super 90 tactical w/ a pistol grip, 18.5" barrel, ghost sights, 7-shot extension and load it with Federal Premium 12ga 00 buck magnum shells. Point it at the BG and KABOOM! The threat is gone.

;b

10. cebuboy

cebuboy toy soldier

i think for inside the home defense scenarios here. the #4 brirdshot by armscor and a pump gun would do the job. you need not worry about overpenetration. let the perps doctor worry about how to take out all of them small lead balls:)

11. jasonub

jasonub

12. 9MX

9MX Rei!

ay ako .25 cal lang.....pero strike 3;a

13. jerrytrini

jerrytrini

LEO issue ammo are always hollow point. The idea is not to over penetrate and hit a "friendly". Our 9mm are 147 gr SXT Ranger, .45 are 230 SXT Ranger and .38 are 158 Remington JSP. Houses in the U.S. are almost made of plaster, wood and glue. I recommend all the above brand. These have been battle tested in the mean streets of Los Angeles....