CPU Temp

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Hauptmann6, Apr 28, 2005.

1. Hauptmann6

Hauptmann6

What's normal for a Athlon 2800? mine is running around 82c. is that too warm?

2. chevrofreak

chevrofreak Senior Member

82C is waaaaaay wayyyyyyyyyyy too hot

3. Blinocac200sx

Blinocac200sx

Seriously, thats hot enough to cook meat.

4. AZ-Boog

AZ-Boog

That's almost 180 F.!!

and the cpu is still running??

5. chevrofreak

BTW my overclocked 2600+ is sitting at 41C right now. It does help that my case has a huge hole in the side, but still 82 is entirely too high. You need a new heatsink, preferably copper, a big fan and some Arctic Silver 5 thermal paste.

6. Hauptmann6

Hauptmann6

yeah going to grab some in the mornin...

7. blake711

blake711 Pro-Fesh-U-Nawl

How long have you had it? I suggest first thing you do is open the case get some compressed air and clean the heatsink that the fan sits on. I had that happen on the first athlon I ever had a 2000+ the temp would case my mb to alarm do to overheating took me a couple days to figure it out.. I cleaned the giant farm of dust from my heatsink 30c drop imideiatly. The only benefit of replacing a fan and heatsink is for better cooling only needed for overclocking and lots still don't beat a stock amd or intell cooler. Or to get a quiter model is what I do normally. Check that out and I bet you are good to go if you haevn't cleaned the pc in over a year..

8. AZ-Boog

AZ-Boog

Get some Arctic Silver 5 (or 3 if you can't find 5).

remove the heatsink/fan unit from the cpu.

Blow out your case. Make sure you have good case ventilation. 3 intake and 3 exhaust. Clean your heatsink. Make sure the fin area is clean and free of any debris. Clean the bottom of any old thermal compound. If there is a thermal pad there remove it and any and all traces of it. The bottom of the heatsink has to be totally clean. Clean off the top of the cpu. Apply the Arctic Silver thermal compound according to manufacturers directions. Re-seat the heatsink/fan unit on the cpu makeing absolutely sure that it has good contact with the cpu. Fire it up and see what you get

9. Hauptmann6

Hauptmann6

I had just dropped in a new cpu(to me) is why I was asking. The old heat sync was very clean. But just not big enough. New one has gotten it down to 55. With AS paste..

10. blake711

blake711 Pro-Fesh-U-Nawl

are you using the same heatsink? If so again make sure its clean of dust and then as stated above clean then cpu and heatsink and reapply the grease.. IT looks like you got in undercontrol now though..

11. Furant

Furant Millennium Member

I don't overclock, so it may be of no concern to me, but how do you monitor CPU temp? Just put a thermometer beside it? Or do they typically already have a thermometer on them?

12. blake711

blake711 Pro-Fesh-U-Nawl

All the newer ones are built in to the CPU socket itself. Some older ones had a little temp prob that you would slide into the side of the heatsink or on the chip somewhere.. How old is your pc? Normally you can view the temperature in your bios if you give details of the pc it will be easier to give you info on where to get the temp..

13. Furant

Furant Millennium Member

Well, I'd be interested in seeing it on my Dell Dimension 8200 which is a 2.00 GHz P4 and my laptop which is a Dell Precision M70 @ 2.2GHz Pentium M.

Any insight's appreciated.

Thanks,
    Joey

14. chevrofreak

Its usually a sensor on the motherboard right below the CPU socket.

15. fastvfr

fastvfr Ancient Tech

You can reboot and enter the BIOS. Go to Hardware Monitor and that will tell you.

I use Motherboard Monitor 5 and others use apps like Speedfan to monitor temps.

I wouldn't be surprised if your CPU sustained severe damage from its roasting, guy. Start saving for a replacement, just in case.