close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

CPU help....running OS X on a PC

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Asus, Aug 21, 2006.

1. Asus

Asus

With MAC going to Intel processors I was wondering if it is possible to load OS X on a PC. I build my own CPU's but an unfamiliar with macs other than when I see them at CompUSA or other retail stores. I would like to learn how macs "operate" and really give their superior video editing a whirl. I'm pretty sure it can be done; probably with a hack of some sort. Lemme know what ya'll know.---ASUS

2. aaronrkelly

aaronrkelly

Wow, I build computers for a living but even I buy my processors (or CPUs). Intel or AMD.....but never made them myself.

3. lendringser

lendringser Wheelgunner

You can't run Mac OS X on a PC, and even if you had somebody crafting you a hack to do it, it would be illegal. Apple has not licensed Mac OS X for any but their own hardware.

4. BOB THEDOG

BOB THEDOG Member me?

To me the only reason to do so would be for a hobby interest.

I don't have very good thoughts about Macs or Mac OS's.

Not a real world business OS.

With that being said, why are you wanting to make a Frankenstein PCOSX like this? Video editing on a properly configured PC can far exceed a typcial Mac.

5. ax157

ax157 Libertarian

I mean absolutely no offence by this whatsoever.

But I would have thought that if you were assembling your own computers you would know the most basic part names... and that Mac is not an acronym.

That said, yes it is "possible". But everyone I know that has done it have said that it was very unstable or had other problems.

Apple still wants you buying their very expensive computers to run it on. :supergrin:

If I were trying to do it, like someone else said I'd visit some Macintosh specific forums and google for "Mac OS X on PC" or something.

Sorry I don't have any better advice, good luck.

That's not true at all.

First off, you CAN run Mac OS X on a PC, both natively and through an emulator.

Second of all, I find it very hard to believe it would be illegal for you to run an operating system you pay for in whatever way you like.

And if it is... well too bad for apple, after paying hundreds of dollars for an operating system no way in hell I'm letting them tell me how to run it too.

6. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.

That one is a bit out of date.There are better versions available now."OSX 10.4.6 JAS for Intel and AMD"."OSX 10.4.7 update for Intel only not for AMD".

7. Asus

Asus

ok guys, used CPUs when I should have used PCs. Geezzzz. Give a guy a break. Yes I know central processing unit, Personal computer, ramdom access memory, dynamic random access memory, modulator demodultor, motherboard, basic input output system and a bunch of other acronyms. I am just wanting to learn how OS X operates or functions. Plus I have always been told that it is not a memory hog like Windows. I have been anti-mac until recently. If PCs are better at videoediting then why are Macs used on 99% of animated movies. And I don't believe that just because something is not licensed it is illegal. Its like buying a car part thats made for a FORD and putting it on a CHEVY and it works. Illegal...don't think so. May void your warranty but not illegal. And ideally what I would like to do is get OS X to run on my P4 setup. The I could load Win XP and have both....since I have been told OS X WILL run XP. I can play and learn OS X ...and still have my "pc" with XP. Thanks for the replies--ASUS (Asus motherboards..duh)