close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

cpu heatsink question

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by alex954, Mar 1, 2005.

1. alex954

alex954

ok guys I know a lil bit about computers but dont know about this issue. Before moving from california to Vegas I had a friend set me up with a new gaming rig. The computer runs great , a week before moving same friend came to my place and asked me if he could buy 1 of the LCD projectors I had. I had 1 additional projector that I wasnt really using so I sold it to him for 2500 but he didnt pay it all, he still owed me 800. To make the story short he told me he was short on cash and couldnt pay me so he suggested a trade for the remaining 800
    He offered me 2 Pentium 4 3.4 Extreme Edition chips 478 socket. All this happen over the phone, 2 days ago I received the package from fedex. When I checked the chips I notice something different I dont know if its called the heatsink but sqaure metal part that covers the center top part of the chip was gone. In that moment im thinking the guy screwed me over with a different chip. I open 1 of my extra computers and put the chips in it to test them, they are EE 3.4 chips
    so I call the guy and ask him about the metal top part missing. His response was I take those tops off and level the chip so they will conduct the heat more effectively, im thinking this is BS. So he tells me to open my gaming rig since I have the same EE chip in it. So I did for my surprise the EE chip that I installed its the same before him installing he also took the metal thing off. My computer has been working great since I got it, I know the chips work since I already tested them, I know i cant get the value of the chip since those chips are 950 a piece but you guys think I can still get out of those 2 chips $800 400 a piece ?????
    suggestions please
    or should I jsut return them

heres the computer he build for me
    Koolance watercooled case
    DFI lanparty motherboard
    P4 3.4 EE
    2 Gigs of ram
    Nvidia 6800 Ultra 256 megs
    audigy 2 pro
    320 HD raided 2 160 hd's
    2 8x dvd-r +,-

2. pyblood

pyblood

I think that you could probably sell them for $400 a piece. Ebay would probably be the best place to sell them quick.

I am not sure what metal piece that you are talking about. Does your processor look like the attachment. If it does, then it's OK. Do you have a pic of the processor?

3. pyblood

pyblood

4. alex954

alex954

the cpu's doesnt have the silver metal part where the Intel info is stamped on

5. David_G17

David_G17 /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

there was a heatsink glued on top of the processor at one time. the processor heated up during use, and when the heatsink was removed, it took the painted stuff off the top of the processor.

don't ask how i know. :(

but it should work just fine.

6. alex954

alex954

yes david
    well this guy actually hes the one who removed the metal part
    he swears it conducts heats better
    this chips are brand new
    so ebay would be my best bet right???
    i just wanna get my money out of the deal I made
    I think ill even sell them for 350 a pop

my 2 gigs in ram in my system everytime i check the process running is most of all CPU hardly any ram
    thats what I love about this
    I just dont need 3 computers with the same specs , I can only play at 1 at a time, heheheheeh
    ebay here I come
    thanks for the feedback guys

7. jack19512

jack19512

I hope I am reading your post correctly. He sent you the processors without the heatsinks? I hope you aren't testing the CPU's by applying power to them without the heatsinks.

8. David_G17

David_G17 /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

without the heat sinks you could damage/destroy them in a few seconds. luckily, they have a thermal shutoff feature.

FYI, this is what a heat sink looks like [​IMG]

9. alex954

alex954

I dont know what to call the metal part that has encrypted which intel model it is... I tested both of them with the heatsink I had in the other computer, my gamimg rig after checkin, my chip which is also a P4 3.4 EE 2megs of cache is the same he removed the metal thing that has encrypted the chip... Ofo coarse i wouldnt run it without a heatsink I tried the regular air cooled heatsink and my water cooled heat sink, chips work just fine
    pardon my ignorance in what to call the metal thing

10. AZ-Boog

AZ-Boog

What the original poster is referring to is the IHS (Integrated Heat Spreader) that Intel mounts on top of the bare die. The IHS helps to, as the name implies, "spread" the heat footprint in to the HSF (HeatSinkFan) unit that rests on top of the cpu.

I removed mine from a 2.26B P4 I had. I was hoping for a reduction in cpu temps. I only realized a 2 degree drop in my temps.

Here's a link that shows the removal process and pics of what the IHS and the bare P4 die looks like.

http://www.overclockers.com/tips1087/index03.asp

11. fastvfr

fastvfr Ancient Tech

I never do it because the die, or core, is more fragile than glass.

If you get the cooler crooked at all when installing the proc, this can result in poppng a chip of silicon from the CPU that it does not run well without!

So I'd say you need to find a better tech, and probably a better friend if he takes expensive items from you and pays in used, altered parts that the warranty has been utterly voided on.

I would think $300 would be the limit for them even on EBay.

I don't think I'd pay $50 for the lot of them, personally.

Good luck, man.

12. alex954

alex954

thanks for the feedback